PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite advanced level eventer

fastpace
Mar. 11, 2006, 11:52 PM
Ok....I would like to know who everyone's own personal favorite horse and/or rider is at the advanced level of eventing (or combination of horse/rider)? Why?

And...they can be from any nation!

RAyers
Mar. 12, 2006, 12:05 AM
Our own Nevertime and her wonder horse Hal.

They keep me inspired. :D

Reed

alterforsaftey
Mar. 12, 2006, 12:12 AM
I watched my first and one of my favorites at the olympics in LA...

and from the moment I saw Michael Plumb and Blue Stone gallop around the course I was hooked on him and with the big horses of eventing. I thought my mom was going to kill me, we only got the tickets to keep busy waiting for other sports and then her daughter falls hard for the sport and a grey horse named Blue Stone ;-)

Second to that would be Upstage, watching him at Rolex.... what a guy!

Janet
Mar. 12, 2006, 12:14 AM
My sister Gillian Clissold.

She is my sister, what more can I say?

alterforsaftey
Mar. 12, 2006, 12:29 AM
I guess I would like her as my sister too.. Very nice web site

http://www.gillianclissold.com/aug4/

ottb dressage
Mar. 12, 2006, 11:19 AM
stephen bradley, he's a big advocate for the ottb and a beautiful, soft rider. has a lot of empathy for the horses, really into seeing things with horses as a relationship. just an all around good horseman i think.

3dazey
Mar. 12, 2006, 11:57 AM
My personal favorite horse is my darling OTTB who carried me around our first advanced last weekend, safe as in my mama's arms, to finish 8th. Thank you, buddy, and I bless the day I found you at the dealer 10 1/2 years ago. :sadsmile:

Sorry y'all, just had to drop a little brag...

RunForIt
Mar. 12, 2006, 12:28 PM
Hurray, 3Dazey! :D I meant to email you yesterday after Glenn sent me the results!!!!! I bet you haven't stopped grinning all week - I'm really happy for you! :cool:

Jazzy Lady
Mar. 12, 2006, 12:29 PM
My personal favorite horse is my darling OTTB who carried me around our first advanced last weekend, safe as in my mama's arms, to finish 8th. Thank you, buddy, and I bless the day I found you at the dealer 10 1/2 years ago. :sadsmile:

Sorry y'all, just had to drop a little brag...

No appologies needed. I'd drop more than a little brag if I brought a horse up to advanced, let alone to finish 8th in the first one ;) Congratulations :)

As for the OP's original question... hmmm... that's so hard to decide. There are sooooo many fabulous horse and rider combinations out there! I can't name just one... sorry ;)

juliab
Mar. 12, 2006, 05:36 PM
Definitely Gillian and Sportscar. Hopefully soon it will be Gillian and my stallion :) I think sometimes I enjoy watching Gillian ride my horses more than riding them myself - she looks so great on them.

She is a terrific trainer too.

fergie
Mar. 12, 2006, 05:39 PM
Bruce Davidson,
Who else is out there at 57 still tearing up courses? He is so tough, and he makes his own horses, from foals.... plus, I worked for him... and still think he's the best I will see in my lifetime. Who else can see a distance from a mile away????

fergie
Mar. 12, 2006, 05:42 PM
Plus, I forgot, I've never seen someone who can be so soft and flexible over a cross country fence... and cross country is what eventing is all about! Hmmm... I guess I'm forever a "Bruceling"....

RunForIt
Mar. 12, 2006, 06:24 PM
Me too, Fergie - Bruce is SUCH an amazing rider - I love watching the Burghley tapes from the 90s when they have those galloping lane close-ups; Bruce's white gloved hands are right there to watch. Though I imagine that at least part of the reason that his hands are so giving is that his legs are doing their job. :cool: One thing though, I think that Bruce is about 6 months short of his 56th birthday; as I recall, he's 6 months younger than me, and I just celibrated #56. I had the fun of riding around with him in the warmup last year at Poplar; we were comparing notes of being "older" riders. Bruce advised me that when you're over 50, you only have to keep the dressage scores/movement/test that you like - great news, eh? :D

PiedPiper
Mar. 12, 2006, 07:57 PM
juliab-

I agree and feel the same way about Gillian! I keep telling her that she will be the one riding Matt at his first rec but she keeps trying to push it back on me. :eek: :winkgrin:

I agree Gillian and Sport and I hope to see your stallion there too! :D

circusponydreams
Mar. 12, 2006, 08:00 PM
Philip Dutton is my favorite rider - he is great at setting his horses up for success and then staying out of their way. Currently I am a big fan of Bruce Davidson and Jam as well!

justjay
Mar. 12, 2006, 10:37 PM
i love windfall, just my opinion!!

FrittSkritt
Mar. 12, 2006, 11:17 PM
I'm a bit partial, because she IS my trainer... Lynn Symansky and No It Tissant. :)

south_pacific
Mar. 12, 2006, 11:40 PM
Ingrid Klimke and Sleep Late (love the greys!), she competes and does well in upper level dressage and eventing. Her father was an amazing horseperson as well :) Also Virginia Leng from back in the day. I also like Mary King and I loved her horse Star Appeal.

As for horses I love the ones that don't know they're small, like Upstage and my new favourite Theodore O'Connor :D

fergie
Mar. 13, 2006, 01:17 AM
RunForIt, I thought he told me he was 57 in 5/04 when we were talking at one of the one stars we went to .....???? and it would not be beneath him to lie about his age (a little vain....) Ha Ha...!!!! My husband refers to him as Evil Knievel on horse back whenever there's a picture of him in a magazine... Hee-hee!

Foxygrl516
Mar. 13, 2006, 09:09 AM
My all time Fav rider is and always has been Phillip Dutton. It's funny because I remember SEVERAL years ago watching Rolex or something and seeing Phillip's unusual style on XC where his upper body NEVER MOVES and I was in Awe. Ever since then I've always looked forward to watching his rides the most. Now he is the "posh" advanced rider that everyone is cheering for and i think that's so Awesome! He's amazing!

My fav Advanced horse (because I took care of him and he is such a gentleman about grooming and trot/canter sets) would have to be hhfarm's horse Never Stop Dreaming! He is a wonderfully talented guy with a great heart. I love my Randy!

Scaramouch
Mar. 13, 2006, 10:26 AM
My husband refers to him as Evil Knievel on horse back whenever there's a picture of him in a magazine... Hee-hee!

Seriously? Wow, I feel better, as that's what my trainer compared ME to once! I don't think she meant it in a very good way, though.

wizetta
Mar. 13, 2006, 10:52 AM
Bruce Davidson,
Who else can see a distance from a mile away????

Sally Cousins!

Ware Whip!
Mar. 13, 2006, 11:16 AM
Bruce D for me as well..
Then Torrance..

I wish I could remember the womans name
Who rode The Gray Goose.. she had a very interesting run..

Saw her frist at a DVCTA event..

WW

Bensmom
Mar. 13, 2006, 11:40 AM
Kim Walnes rode The Grey Goose.

My trainer groomed Blue Stone and he was one of her all time favorite horses. :)

No surprise here: Karen & Upstage :D Also, Ralph's Bad Boy Billy, Theodore O'Connor, and Jon Holling's Lion King is awesome too.

Libby, president, Upstage fan club ;) :lol:

texang73
Mar. 13, 2006, 03:07 PM
I LOVE Mr. Big and Julia Steinberg! I love watching the little guys (He's only 15hh or so) tear around the big courses!:D

fergie
Mar. 13, 2006, 03:25 PM
Is this war Wizetta? O.K. I'll give you Sally for show jumping (she beats Bruce there...) and Bruce for seeing a distance cross country. Maybe when she's 57 she'll win there too... and Sally wins for generosity and attitude too...

AppJumpr08
Mar. 13, 2006, 05:19 PM
Bruce was born 12/31/49 :)

My favorite advanced horse? High Scope. The big grey Irish horse that went to Sydney for the Irish Team and then came to the States for Bruce to ride. Placed 5th at Rolex in '02, and tragically died at Over the Walls the same year.
He was the most gentle stallion I've ever met... just lovely to be around. And he could JUMP!! I remember setting fences at HITS in Ocala for Bruce, and Scope brushed a fence. Came back around and cleared it with so much room that he was over the tops of the 6' standards... :)

Onabreak
Mar. 13, 2006, 05:27 PM
I'd have to say Mark Todd is my all time fave. I was a kid in '84 when he won his first gold with Charisma. I saw him ride one time in person and was in awe...

As for favorite Advanced horsies - all the ones I've groomed and sweated and worried over ;)

Jagger
Mar. 13, 2006, 06:40 PM
Bruce was born 12/31/49 :)

My favorite advanced horse? High Scope. The big grey Irish horse that went to Sydney for the Irish Team and then came to the States for Bruce to ride. Placed 5th at Rolex in '02, and tragically died at Over the Walls the same year.
He was the most gentle stallion I've ever met... just lovely to be around. And he could JUMP!! I remember setting fences at HITS in Ocala for Bruce, and Scope brushed a fence. Came back around and cleared it with so much room that he was over the tops of the 6' standards... :)

My favorite as well! I mentioned him on the Event Stallion Thread...does he have any offspring in the US?

glfprncs
Mar. 13, 2006, 08:23 PM
I absolutely LOVED Bruce Davidson's horse, J.J. Babu. He was purchased by Bruce as a 2-year-old, had one hell of a prop and spin in him (he'd do it on phases A and B at 3-days as a youngster...Bruce said you never knew if he'd go 180, 360, 270 or multiple times around), and seemed to be one of the kindest and most generous horses I've seen. It was unfortunate his bobble in the 1984 Olympic games, and even more unfortunate his stepping on a rock at a horse trial and shattering his leg. He was a true, all around, three day event horse. Beautiful bay, beautiful jumper, beautiful mover.

Eagle Lion is a close second. Lellie Ward's Riverdance, whom I hack/flat on occassion, is also an incredible horse. He has a phenomenal jump, and is just plain cool to ride on the flat. He, like J.J. Babu, has an exception prop/spin/bolt. You wouldn't think he was a teenager.

persefne
Mar. 13, 2006, 08:24 PM
I'd have to say Mark Todd is my all time fave. I was a kid in '84 when he won his first gold with Charisma. I saw him ride one time in person and was in awe...

I was so excited to see Mark (riding Stunning, I think) at Rolex back in '98 or '99. I rushed over to the first water complex as he came galloping into view...only to see him take a big bath, and that was it for my Mark Todd experience at Rolex. It was well worth it to see him in action, in the flesh, even if only for a slight moment or two (as he sailed through the air and under the water). Oh, well!!!

I love to watch William Fox-Pitt ride, in person or on television, in any shape or form. He's just fantastic and I only wish I had a one-hundreth of any of his talent. Same thing goes for Pippa. I'm not dissing the Americans, I promise, it's just that these two always make my jaw drop.

And, I could say Phillip Dutton (of course), but where's the fun in that! Everybody loves Phillip!

I would really be remiss if I didn't mention my huge crush, Francis Whittington. But, this is trivial since a little bit of it has to do with his lovely riding and his gorgeous horse, and a lot of it has to do with his adorable smile. ;)

yellowbritches
Mar. 13, 2006, 08:47 PM
William Fox-Pitt and Pippa Funnell are probably my current favorites to watch. I also love watching Mary King...she always looks like she's having a BLAST! As for horses, I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Tamarillo.

If we're going to go for "home town" favorites, then definitly Karen O'Connor (on anything, but I LOVE Upstage nearly as much as Tamarillo...I have a small brown horse fetish). And Bruce will always be fun to watch. Like Mary King, he always looks like he's enjoying himself...even when just darting around in his golf cart!

As for classics, can't miss, gotta watch them over and over on old videos...Mark Todd, Ian Stark, Lucinda Green. And classic horses, Charisma (see above, small brown horse fetish), and Murphy Himself is a classic to watch.

There's also a longish list of people I try watch, but I wouldn't call them favorites.

One Star
Mar. 13, 2006, 10:23 PM
Rider: Mark Todd with only one stirrup cross country at Badminton.

Horse: Murphy Himself, bouncing a two stride, also at Badminton.

RunForIt
Mar. 13, 2006, 10:59 PM
:D I am delighted to know that Bruce is a good 2 months older than me! He's still my favorite to watch - but Kim Severson is a close second; I've watched her since she was just getting her foot into and through the "bigtime" door - Kim can do amazing things with horses that you would think didn't have any chance at doing ANYTHING. Her first Rolex winner - Over the Limit (Jake) was such fun to watch. Another "Jake" - my dream horse - is Jacob Two Two - Abigail's then Julie's...my chance must be coming soon, don't you think? :confused: :cool:

eks
Mar. 13, 2006, 11:13 PM
I really liked Kerry Millikin's "Out and About." She did an amazing job with him and put all the mileage on him herself.

I also loved Wilton Fair and Mr. Maxwell.

AppJumpr08
Mar. 14, 2006, 03:13 AM
My favorite as well! I mentioned him on the Event Stallion Thread...does he have any offspring in the US?

Bruce has two (that I know of) by him... a filly and a colt... both are coming 4 I think. I belive he was planning on keeping the colt a stud.

There are a few others scattered around but not many...he wasn't in the states or very long and I'm not sure how many straws they had stored. :(
I think maybe Sharon White's mare Ready About may be expecting a baby by Scope but I'm not sure.
BigRuss would be more up to date on the situation then me though...

izzy
Mar. 14, 2006, 02:07 PM
One more vote for Nevertime and Hal. She brought along a free or nearly free, untrained and unknown, horse to Advanced. And she had not previously ridden at upper levels herself.
Now that is talent, drive, hard work, guts, teamwork, and great glory.

Is this not the ultimate goal?

Ware Whip!
Mar. 14, 2006, 02:47 PM
I forgot to mention
Lana DuPont!

WW

mosmom
Mar. 14, 2006, 03:06 PM
Ever since I was little Bruce Davidson was my favorite. A couple of years ago I saw him at Fair Hill and my husband tried to get me to go up to him and say "hi". But I guess I was star-struck because I couldn't move or say anything as he walked by.

BigRuss1996
Mar. 14, 2006, 03:19 PM
Bruce has two (that I know of) by him... a filly and a colt... both are coming 4 I think. I belive he was planning on keeping the colt a stud.There are a few others scattered around but not many...he wasn't in the states or very long and I'm not sure how many straws they had stored. :(
I think maybe Sharon White's mare Ready About may be expecting a baby by Scope but I'm not sure.
BigRuss would be more up to date on the situation then me though...

Appjumpr08,

Your right....There are two or three on the farm, the colts have all been gelded now as of last fall , also everything in Bruce's barn is for sale for a price. High Scope has a really nice grey filly there who is 4 now and she IS for sale but not cheap I am sure.

My personal favorite andvanced horse is and always be my old guy "Newport" I bought him from Peter Grey who he represented Bermuda with for many years before I got him. With Peter he did the 1990 WEG in Stockhom, and Badminton (went clear) in 1991 right before i got him. He was a saint and he taught me alot and I got him when he was 14 and I retired him here at 17 and he sadly died (was humanely put to sleep) two years ago at the age of 28 due to complications with severe artheritis. I have never know such a kind big horse in my entire life (he was 17.3 and 3/4). I am only 5'4" and he never once took advantage and always took care of me even when I was way wrong picking a spot. He was generous, forgiving, and such a beautiful animal with such a huge heart and he loved his job and he always gave 110%. I miss him terribly he was such a character to have in the barn.

As for my favorite advanced rider.....I probably have to say Bruce....ha ha ...but If I didn't I would say Mike Plumb he was the best of the best.

mythical84
Mar. 14, 2006, 05:04 PM
I think I'm going to have to jump on the Bruce Davidson bandwagon. I often see him at Waredaca events and he is a pleasure to watch. Everything seems so effortless for him.

I wish I could take a year off after I graduate this May and become a working student, but alas the "real" world is calling.

AppJumpr08
Mar. 14, 2006, 05:40 PM
Your right....There are two or three on the farm, the colts have all been gelded now as of last fall , also everything in Bruce's barn is for sale for a price. High Scope has a really nice grey filly there who is 4 now and she IS for sale but not cheap I am sure.

BigRuss,
Is Summer the filly by him? Who is she out of, I'm drawing a blank? I'm bummed the colts were gelded :( I was hoping to breed to one someday...

RunForIt
Mar. 14, 2006, 06:07 PM
Mosmom, you should've talked to Bruce. My (very) non-horsey husband taught me how to do this (I still shudder and laugh) :eek: ! Several years ago at Foxhall, we were walking the course, it was hot as 40 hells, and Billy started to take off his shirt. "NOOOOOO", I pleaded advising him that we were in a public place and he could act in a proper way (very hard for Mr. Runforit, even in his late 50s). He agreed, but then, ahead of us was none other, Bruce himself - without his shirt. Now, to add to this story, my dear husband has always told me that he would love to ride, if only he could INSTANTLY ride like Bruce. I turn around to talk to some friends who were running to catch up with us, and then look back at Billy, -not there - no, he's over sitting on a jump with BRUCE! Chatting away like he's known him forever, Billy's beer cooler between them, and yes, nary a shirt in sight on either guy...I kept on walking :D

Jagger
Mar. 14, 2006, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the info, I wasn’t sure if there were any High Scope babies as he was not in NA for that long, but good to hear there are some out there....the filly must be Gorgeous!

BigRuss1996
Mar. 14, 2006, 09:15 PM
BigRuss,
Is Summer the filly by him? Who is she out of, I'm drawing a blank? I'm bummed the colts were gelded :( I was hoping to breed to one someday...

Appjumpr08,
YES...it is "Summer" ! She is so sweet , she is definately my favorite out in the mares field next to dear "Ave" of course (who is pregnant this year by the way! woo hoo). Summer is out of "Bonnet" who is by Windsor Charm who we had in his elder years, he was the sire of our horse Beacon Charm that Bruce rode and won the Rome CCI with, and then sadly he died of a heart attack in the front paddock (that was when we bought "Pi" for Bruce to ride). Bonnet and my horse's mother are half sisters. I rode Bonnet at her first event training when she was 4 so it is really cool to get to see her babies grow up..also makes ya feel kind of old...hA HA HA....

Hey....how's my buddy "Lunchbox" doing????

AppJumpr08
Mar. 15, 2006, 01:03 AM
Appjumpr08,
YES...it is "Summer" ! She is so sweet , she is definately my favorite out in the mares field next to dear "Ave" of course (who is pregnant this year by the way! woo hoo). Summer is out of "Bonnet" who is by Windsor Charm who we had in his elder years, he was the sire of our horse Beacon Charm that Bruce rode and won the Rome CCI with, and then sadly he died of a heart attack in the front paddock (that was when we bought "Pi" for Bruce to ride). Bonnet and my horse's mother are half sisters. I rode Bonnet at her first event training when she was 4 so it is really cool to get to see her babies grow up..also makes ya feel kind of old...hA HA HA....

Hey....how's my buddy "Lunchbox" doing????

The last time I was at Chesterland "Summer" was in the barn - I remember being impressed with how good she was being away from all her girlfriends. If I ever win the lottery, I'll be down!! lol
Who is "Ave" in foal to?? How exciting!!! I always loved that mare and her lovely big ears :)

Lunchbox is great - he's had a quiet winter harassing the other horses and getting slightly chubby :) He had a massage the other day and was his usual tooth-grinding self until she was almost done when he decided that maybe... just *maybe* he might be enjoying it dispite all his protests :lol: He's going back in to work now - I don't have an indoor, so now that the weather is getting better I'm taking advantage of it!!!

I would love to come down this spring with the boys, but it doesn't look like it'll happen... you should see my 3 year old now! (the one who was down there last summer) - he's already 16.2 and still growing like a weed :eek::D Biggest horse in the barn.

What ever happened to Gaude? Did someone end up buying her? I thought I saw her name in some results last fall but didn't know if it was the same horse....

tryhardeventer
Mar. 15, 2006, 01:42 AM
I loved the story about Sportscarand her rider that was published in Practical horseman a while back. (Its like hens teeth to get here in Oz) There is hope for us older (ahem) lady eventers out there! My other favourite is Pippa Funnel. Lady is a serious perfectionist, and I LOVE Primmore's Pride.

BigRuss1996
Mar. 15, 2006, 08:47 AM
The last time I was at Chesterland "Summer" was in the barn - I remember being impressed with how good she was being away from all her girlfriends. If I ever win the lottery, I'll be down!! lol
Who is "Ave" in foal to?? How exciting!!! I always loved that mare and her lovely big ears :)

Lunchbox is great - he's had a quiet winter harassing the other horses and getting slightly chubby :) He had a massage the other day and was his usual tooth-grinding self until she was almost done when he decided that maybe... just *maybe* he might be enjoying it dispite all his protests :lol: He's going back in to work now - I don't have an indoor, so now that the weather is getting better I'm taking advantage of it!!!

I would love to come down this spring with the boys, but it doesn't look like it'll happen... you should see my 3 year old now! (the one who was down there last summer) - he's already 16.2 and still growing like a weed :eek::D Biggest horse in the barn.

What ever happened to Gaude? Did someone end up buying her? I thought I saw her name in some results last fall but didn't know if it was the same horse....

Appjumpr08,
OMG!....I loved your baby ! I'm not surprised he is still growing he was so big when he was here. Though I don't think Bruce misses him jumping into his yard from the field and running around on his lawn and turfing the place...ha ha ha.

"Ave" is bred to "Mohkeiba" (he is deceased now died last year) . I am so excited to see the baby, I guess she is really is one of my favorite advanced horses too.

"Gaude" was sold to a really nice guy in NJ who rides her and I think someday his daughter will ride her too she is really little still though we had her on her when he came to try her. She is a really nice mare and such a saint x-co.

Robby Johnson
Mar. 15, 2006, 09:01 AM
So many amazing riders to watch, and of course the magic of those horses is really spell-binding. I go to Rolex and am entranced for days.

My favorite advanced rider/horse combination is of course Kim Severson and Winsome Adante because what they've been able to achieve will go down in history and it's really neat to know this, but to watch them write the books at the same time makes it even more special.

I love them because they embody the event horse. Dan would not be the best mover in the bunch, yet their partnership and talent still allows him to be a dressage winner. And he of course produces in both of the jumping phases ... to win Rolex on your dressage score once is amazing. Twice is exotic. Three times overall (even with a few rails) is downright mind-boggling. Oh, and to've won it every time you've contested it? That is a champion. That is a history book entry.

Now, if I were going to pick a horse that I could see myself stealing in the middle of the night, then subsequently attempting to ride - the type that would let me bury my hands in its mane and sort of shriek and cry and giggle as I attempted to go preliminary, it would definitely be Coup de Couer, Leslie Law's former ride.

That one lit me up inside the first time I saw him.

Robby

annikak
Mar. 15, 2006, 09:17 AM
Okay- like Robby, there are a ton that come to mind- horse wise, Woody has got to be right on up there. Talk about tough! Karen loves him, and he is really quite sweet in his stall (Don't ask- really, cuz I am in NO way part of his barn but when I was at the HP late one night, his sweet head was sticking out of his oh-so-neat stall, and my hand could NOT stop itself...I did admit my sins to Karen the next day, even tho I don't know her really....in case he talks or something!)

There was this stunning dark horse at Rolex a few years ago- I think Olivia Bunn rode him. Cannot rememer his name....

But the tears began to flow as Test Run did Rolex a few years ago- when they finished each phase, Kims happiness was so overwhelming, and that horse loves her, you can tell. I suppose I am a sucker for a good story-

my heart broke for Kim when Rhino hit her barn. Tears hit again, but for a different reason- what a horrid turn of fate....:(

As far as riders go, the obvious come to mind- Phillip, (probably my favorite rider to watch) Kim, Karen, Bruce and Buck- I love watching them educate a young horse at the upper levels and aspire to that level of riding. The ones that really touch me are the Pam W, Kim M, Jillian C's of the sport. While it takes dedication, guts and determination to get to the top levels for all, the former have more horses to get there. When the latter get to the upper levels, its often on a horse they have done all the work on, as well as being their only one at the level. While watching the BNR's ride is an education, watching the maybe not-so BNR's on their beloved horses is a love story.

McVillesMom
Mar. 15, 2006, 10:13 AM
I have to vote for John Williams and Carrick.

BTW, has anyone heard any news of Carrick? Last I heard (about a year ago) he was rehabbing a tendon injury. I haven't heard anything since...anyone know?

persefne
Mar. 15, 2006, 12:17 PM
While watching the BNR's ride is an education, watching the maybe not-so BNR's on their beloved horses is a love story.

Annika, that just gave me chills. I had to pull out my little quote-book and write that one down. Don't be surprised if it shows up someday in my signature line (attributed to you, of course!). What a beautiful and undeniably true statement if ever there was one!!!

AppJumpr08
Mar. 15, 2006, 12:21 PM
Appjumpr08,
OMG!....I loved your baby ! I'm not surprised he is still growing he was so big when he was here. Though I don't think Bruce misses him jumping into his yard from the field and running around on his lawn and turfing the place...ha ha ha.

"Ave" is bred to "Mohkeiba" (he is deceased now died last year) . I am so excited to see the baby, I guess she is really is one of my favorite advanced horses too.

"Gaude" was sold to a really nice guy in NJ who rides her and I think someday his daughter will ride her too she is really little still though we had her on her when he came to try her. She is a really nice mare and such a saint x-co.

hehe he's such a goober... but I just love him!! He hasn't jumped out of anything here (thank goodness!) though I would love to see him jump...gotta free school him this summer or something! I can't wait to bring him back to Chesterland once he's all grown up - I'm hoping Bruce will like him better then! :lol:

Oh you'll have to tell me what Ave's foal looks like!!! What a great combo!!! :eek::D

It was between Gaude and LB when I came down last summer....I ended up going with him because she seemed like she would be happier as a N/T horse... though she was so much fun on the flat :) He is certainly trickier then her in that department!!!

BarbB
Mar. 15, 2006, 12:45 PM
There have to be different catagories....Kim and Dan are running away with the best team around.
I love watching Andrew Nicholson ride....he never seems to interfere with the horse.
Matt Ryan's horses are so eager and always look like they are having a blast. One of his horses, Kibah Tic Toc is on my all time favorites list.

I have great respect for Pippa Funnell. I remember when she first got out of Young Riders and was breaking into the pros. She was torn apart by the press and the big event announcers as having been over rated as a young rider and that she would never make it in the big time.
sure.....uh huh....

annikak
Mar. 15, 2006, 01:33 PM
Annika, that just gave me chills. I had to pull out my little quote-book and write that one down. Don't be surprised if it shows up someday in my signature line (attributed to you, of course!). What a beautiful and undeniably true statement if ever there was one!!!

;) Wanna sit next to each other at rolex? I am going and spending some time at HHFarms coming up from tyron before heading back to MI.... we can watch together!:yes:

InVA
Mar. 15, 2006, 02:43 PM
BIKO!!!! (who else??!!)

persefne
Mar. 15, 2006, 03:54 PM
;) Wanna sit next to each other at rolex? I am going and spending some time at HHFarms coming up from tyron before heading back to MI.... we can watch together!:yes:

You got it, girl! I was hoping you'd be there. We can gasp, cheer, cry, and laugh together all weekend long!!! :D

dianad
Mar. 15, 2006, 04:15 PM
Definitely Karen O, I think she is a fabulous teacher, and she totally cracks me up as well!

The horse... Primmore's Pride (sp?)), I swear he just gives me goosebumps to watch him gallop and swallow the ground!

Janet
Mar. 15, 2006, 04:27 PM
I guess I would like her as my sister too.. Very nice web site

http://www.gillianclissold.com/aug4/
Actually, that was a draft version of the web site, and is out of date.

The curent version is
http://www.gillianclissold.com/
which has 2006 info on it.

3dazey
Mar. 15, 2006, 08:05 PM
McVille's Mom, I don't claim any great insider knowledge of Carrick, but he did spend some time at Pine Top during the last six weeks (as John W. competed there and also did the course design which was amazing). He rode Carrick in the dressage at the Advanced HT and the horse was his usual stellar self. He did not jump, however.

Carrick & Sloopy were turned out in a paddock next to my very social horse, who hung over the fence with them every day. I'd like to think they were prepping him for what was to come...how cool is that? :yes:

McVillesMom
Mar. 15, 2006, 08:51 PM
Thanks 3dazey...hopefully we'll see him back jumping soon! That's pretty cool that your horse got to "hang with the big guys." :)

RunForIt
Mar. 15, 2006, 11:19 PM
" While watching the BNR's ride is an education, watching the maybe not-so BNR's on their beloved horses is a love story"

thank you, Annikak :winkgrin:

Let's see...Bessie and Mo, Lellie and Riverdance; everyone has their list.

adamsmom
Mar. 15, 2006, 11:41 PM
Dorothy's Molokai has to be my fave, after The Sorceror's Apprentice (but he (Sam) was Alyson's and I found him, so....:winkgrin: )

I first knew Mo when working for Dorothy and she first started taking him Prelim. I went to England for him, did and still would, do anything for he and Dorothy.

I remember hacking out while we were at Gatcombe one day. There was a craft fair at Gatcombe, and coming around the bend, we found a traffic jam of cars. We couldn't go around, because we couldn't see around the bend. Mo and I just waited patiently until we got to the gate, and went on to the barn.
He was, and is, total class.

Sam was a total freak of nature. From getting eliminated at the water at his & Alyson's first event, to jumping clean at his first 3 star, being one of ten to go clean & fast at Rolex '96, to jumping parts of the Rolex 4 star course for a "boot cam" shoot.....he was amazing.

But I'll have to say, it was Bruce and Lucinda who made me fall in love with this sport. I had the great fortune of living in Lexington in 1978 and my parents took us to the World Championships. This, of course, followed on the heels of "International Velvet" and I was hooked.

And every time I watch Bruce ride, I remember why I love this sport, and why I admire him so much.

pegasusmom
Mar. 16, 2006, 05:22 AM
I have to vote for John Williams and Carrick.

BTW, has anyone heard any news of Carrick? Last I heard (about a year ago) he was rehabbing a tendon injury. I haven't heard anything since...anyone know?

Carrick is doing well - my son, the young prince, got to hack him down to the ring on Tuesday. I was teasing him that was about the only time he'd get to sit on an Olympic horse! He said "wait and see Mom!!"

rocking horse
Mar. 16, 2006, 10:53 AM
My favorite riders are Beale Morris and her mother Lana Wright. If you ever had the pleasure of watching them ride they have such a gift. I took lessons from both of them growing up.

Lana was the first woman to ever compete in 3 Day at the Olympics winning a team silver medal. I believe 1964 in Tokyo.

Beale always rode OTTB or horses that were born and raised on her mother's farm. She trained them and always excelled with them. She competed at Rolex, Burghley and was short listed for the Olympics at one time.

pwynnnorman
Mar. 17, 2006, 08:57 AM
Well, I have to say Con (er, Teddy), of course...but my all-time, jaw-dropping forever favorite is Murphy Himself, followed by...oh, what was his NAME?...Summertime? Summer-something? The stallion Heidi Antikazedes (er, I'm brain dead this morning, can't remember that either) rode.

Summer SONG! That's it, right? I loved watching that horse go.

gully's pilot
Mar. 17, 2006, 09:13 AM
Oh, I remember Molokai taking an arrowhead combination at Rolex--so straight and powerful it gave me goosebumps. And I've always been a Mark Todd fanatic. However, for riders it's Bruce all the way. I'll never forget him taking --oh, that flashy hot chestnut--anyhow, though the fast option at the Head of the Lake in an absolute downpour a few years ago, with the biggest grin on his face. It was the grin that got me: "Hey, y'all, watch this!" At the same Rolex my kids and I met Custom Made--he was in a tent behind one of the sponsor booths. I've never seen a horse with such a sense of greatness. My little daughter offered him a handful of grass, and he came over to her and accepted it as a tribute, lipping it off her hands while looking her straight in the eye--this though the floor of his tent was grass and he could have grazed and ignored everyone. What a horse!

flyingchange
Mar. 17, 2006, 09:39 AM
Mark Todd, Mary King, Kim, Pippa, WFP, Andrew Hoy, Philip

Favorite horse - Edited to make favorit horse The Foreman. How could I forget him? Talk about making you light up - first time I saw him was at Fair Hill 3 star in 2004 when they were one of the last to go. I was jump judging a big ditch and brush fence all day. When Philip and The Foreman approached it, it was like the horse's feet weren't even touching the ground. They sailed over it and left very small divets (whereas many of the other combos really sunk into the ground the last couple of strides to it). The name stuck with me pretty easily b/c it's my grandfather's first name as well. :) AFTER The Foreman, Tamarillo. Then Moon Man. I hated to see him drop out of the scene. I loved how soft and flowing his rounds looked. I must admit I was flaming jealous when I heard Madonna was seen riding him!

And Mary King is such a beautiful rider in each phase. I love watching her dressage as well as XC (she really knows how to slip the reins on those drops).

Andrew Hoy looks like he works very hard and gives 110% to every horse. His helmet cover does make me laugh though (can you say Marvin the Martian?).

BarbB
Mar. 17, 2006, 12:36 PM
Well, I have to say Con (er, Teddy), of course...but my all-time, jaw-dropping forever favorite is Murphy Himself, followed by...oh, what was his NAME?...Summertime? Summer-something? The stallion Heidi Antikazedes (er, I'm brain dead this morning, can't remember that either) rode.

Summer SONG! That's it, right? I loved watching that horse go.

Summersong was SOOOO much fun to watch. He had wings.
He was ridden by Marie DuBois, I believe. A French rider anyway.

Heidi's horse from a few years ago was Michaelmas.

OMG I need to get a life. :D

AppJumpr08
Mar. 17, 2006, 12:48 PM
However, for riders it's Bruce all the way. I'll never forget him taking --oh, that flashy hot chestnut--anyhow, though the fast option at the Head of the Lake in an absolute downpour a few years ago, with the biggest grin on his face. It was the grin that got me: "Hey, y'all, watch this!"

Little Tricky Rolex '02, right? I'll never forget the look on Bruce's face when he finished the course.... still had the grin that you saw at the water!! :D

pwynnnorman
Mar. 17, 2006, 05:18 PM
Oh, right, BarbB. They kinda looked alike, though, didnt' they? But there was just something about Summer Song. I can't put my finger on it.

But I loved Murphy's character. I think he and Ian Stark were the most entertaining pair ever to grace an x-c course.

Mariequi
May. 24, 2006, 01:54 PM
Very cool answer, Leigh Anne. I, too, love Mo. But Murphy (no, not because we share a name) - I loved to watch him gallop xc. No one moved/moves like that.

NeverTime
May. 24, 2006, 07:30 PM
I just saw this thread and was rather startled to see myself mentioned. You guys are awfully sweet! In the interest of full disclosure, however, we're back at intermediate for the time being and trying to regain last summer's form. We have Jersey Fresh in a week and we managed to take our biggest digger (actually, our only mutual digger ever) at our last run-up event. Not really the final prep I had in mind, but hopefully it inspires Mr. Hal to respect big tables and give me "good Hal" on XC day! (Good Hal is the one that sees his distances, hunts down fences, doesn't tune me out and offers up that unbelievable jump that makes me grin from ear to ear every time I feel it.)

For those who know him, too, I'm happy to report (because in my life, this is SERIOUSLY big news) that just two days ago, we replaced The One-Horse Travelling Ghetto (a 1983 WW 2H that was neither "extra tall" nor even "tall") and he now has a very basic but very rust-free 2003 2H GN that he doesn't need to duck to stand in (or maybe he wasn't ducking all those years but just hanging his head in shame...) I hope his new ride makes him not only comfier on the road but makes him feel more the part of the upper-level event horse he has become! :-)

To answer the OP, my favorite pairs of advanced horses are all the Cinderella ones: Sharon W. and Ready About, Kerry M. and Out & About, Sara M. and El Primero, Mary G. and Ides of March... all those types that inspire Hal and I to keep trying!

retreadeventer
May. 24, 2006, 11:37 PM
I think Little Tricky when sound and right is one of the scopiest horses in north America at Advanced level. I loved a great big uncolored Appaloosa that Derek DiGrazia rode, can't remember his name either. As far as a rider, Lucinda Green has to be one of the all time greats. Does anyone remember Village Gossip? What a horse. And of course, Bruce. He intimidates me still, but he is so nice once you speak with him a little bit. I really wish I could just watch and listen and hang out for a month in his barn and at events and then make a movie or write a book about how hard it is to be as great as he is -- how much work is involved, how high the standards have to be, how clear and knowledgeable you have to be to train horses like Advanced level horses. Big Russ you know I keep pushing for that book! We need it!

oreo
May. 24, 2006, 11:37 PM
Jamison. Went 3 star with Shannon O'Malley. Hated dressage but ate XC.

lstevenson
May. 25, 2006, 12:40 AM
I loved a great big uncolored Appaloosa that Derek DiGrazia rode, can't remember his name either.

Derek's horse was Sasquatch.:)

Mozart
May. 25, 2006, 02:10 PM
I saw her go with M.J. Tumbridge at '99 Pam Am Game. Great little mare, fabulous ride. Such a nice pair. I believe the mare sadly was euthanized after an accident?

So you have a great little horse, hope she will win gold for your country, name her Bermuda Gold. Then she does win a gold medal for your country. How wonderful is that?

NeverTime
May. 25, 2006, 05:30 PM
You're right-- that was a wonderful story with a very sad ending. It's good to still see her name in international results.

Carol Ames
Jan. 30, 2007, 11:39 PM
Fromthe "Hall of Fame": Grey Goose, the Flying Dutchman

Carol Ames
Jan. 30, 2007, 11:48 PM
Yes Mozart, she injured a knee landing over a fence in Sydney; a particular injury with a poor track record for repair and rehab Although the surgery was fairly straightorward horses with that injury often colicked due to lack of movement, or developed lamintis in the opposite foot , and so the decision was made to put her down:cry:

clivers
Jan. 31, 2007, 01:48 AM
Torrance Watkins and her horses Finvarra and Poltroon. I also have a longstanding "talent crush" on Ginny Leng and a newer one on Zara Phillips.

BarbB- I think Summersong's rider was Marie-Christine DuRoy. She eventually sold everything to keep him (there was some sort of legal battle too) and she kindof disappeared from the sport for a while. the horse was wonderful though! :)

kiwifruit
Jan. 31, 2007, 07:21 AM
Sally Cousins...of course and little known Olympian and Gold Medalist Mary Ann Tauskey and her little horse, Marcus. What a great and gracious lady! I wish she was still competing. What an amazing rider!

annikak
Jan. 31, 2007, 08:31 AM
Thanks for reminding me about that team- they were wonderful....;)

pwynnnorman
Jan. 31, 2007, 08:38 AM
kiwifruit, is she still involved in horses? Do you know what she's doing these days? Gosh, I grew up adoring that "team": Plumb, Tauskey, Davidson, Coffin, Emerson, etc.

Anyone know what Kim Walnes is doing? (We need a "Where are they now" thread.)

Oh, and I want to add Poggio to my favorites. I got the WEG DVD the other day and decided he must be one of the most dramatic, exciting horses to watch--right up there with Murphy Himself. It's funny because I loved how Woody did Rolex like it was a hunter course--he's awesome in exactly the opposite way to Poggio.

RiverBendPol
Jan. 31, 2007, 08:43 AM
Another vote here for Sally Cousins and her little 'reject' Troy, who, by the way, can jump a HOUSE. Sally is a fantastic horseman, her animals adore her, she gets the best out of all of them because they WANT to do it for her.
Torrance Watkins and Poltroon were a very cool combo as well.

v22955
Jan. 31, 2007, 06:39 PM
I love Heidi White's Northern Spy. Farley is just a fantastic guy!

Wench
Jan. 31, 2007, 07:09 PM
Putting in another vote for Torrance.

She's an amazing talented rider, riding horses that it seemed no one could. She's a great teacher and an awesome lady.

And most of all, she loves her horses. Watching her just having a quiet moment with one of her horses is beautiful and inspiring.

One of my favorite of her horses was Majestic Reef, and OTTB. He was long listed for the 2000 Olympics. He had such a super cool way of going, these great elastic gaits.

And of course Lou Llewellyn! What a cool little horse!

kiwifruit
Jan. 31, 2007, 08:14 PM
kiwifruit, is she still involved in horses? Do you know what she's doing these days?

Mary Ann Tauskey is alive and well in the Radnor Hunt Area. She still gives an occassional lesson or two (and she is GREAT!) but after the Team, she went into showjumping for a bit and then decided to "retire" from the horse scene to focus on family. She is a good friend of mine (a little biased on the vote) and I love looking at her old pictures/videos of the Team. Marcus was amazing little guy and Mary Ann is just as talented!

PhoenixFarm
Jan. 31, 2007, 10:55 PM
RE: Sharon White's Ready About's High Scope foal. Unfortunately, Pippi suffered uterine rupture this spring about a month before her due date and we lost the mare and foal. :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :( :( :( :( :( I worked for Sharon for years and consider her a dear friend. I helped plan the breeding between those two.

Terrible, terrible day.

On an up note, Pippi was certainly a wonderful, remarkable, and special one. I have never seen a smarter or more clever horse at a fence. Just awe inspiring. And her dressage was never boring!:winkgrin:

For sheer guts and event horse icons I'd have to go with Murphy Himself, Poggio, amd Summer Song. For horses that I would actually like to ride and that would not dump my sorry behind at the first opportunity I'd have to go with Wilton Fair, Lightfoot (I think David and I have the same taste in horses, lol), and the big chenut French bred Polly Stockton had a Rolex a few years back. True Blue Girdwood is the ultimate though--brilliance, longevity--and the sheer intelligence that horse radiated was amazing. I think the best horse in the world right now might be Northern Spy.

EventerAJ
Jan. 31, 2007, 11:16 PM
Dorothy's Molokai has to be my fave, after The Sorceror's Apprentice (but he (Sam) was Alyson's and I found him, so....:winkgrin: )

I first knew Mo when working for Dorothy and she first started taking him Prelim. I went to England for him, did and still would, do anything for he and Dorothy.

I remember hacking out while we were at Gatcombe one day. There was a craft fair at Gatcombe, and coming around the bend, we found a traffic jam of cars. We couldn't go around, because we couldn't see around the bend. Mo and I just waited patiently until we got to the gate, and went on to the barn.
He was, and is, total class.

Can't say it any better than that. Every time you look in his eyes, you feel humbled. So proud, so much heart, so much wisdom. He's feeling his age a little now, but the spirit's still the same.

Truly one of the greats. If you weren't inspired watching him on XC, you didn't have a pulse.

MoBurghley92.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/aljohnd/MoBurghley92.jpg)

adamsmom
Jan. 31, 2007, 11:46 PM
Truly one of the greats. If you weren't inspired watching him on XC, you didn't have a pulse.

MoBurghley92.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/aljohnd/MoBurghley92.jpg)

One of my fave pix of he & Dorothy!!

When at Gatcombe, the stalls had built in corner feeders. I'd almost always braid at the barn before leaving for the event, and doing his forelock, I'd sit on the corner & he'd put his nose in my lap.

While I was in England, I also became close to Shannon. Tough, tough mare, who could be mean as a snake to people she didn't like. She loved Paul, her groom, though, and came to like me as well, so that on Paul's day off, I was the one who made sure she got her peppermints! :D

We had great horses in the barn at Gatcombe then.

Mo
Rosie - Easter Parade
Biko
Nash - Prince Panache
Shannon
Chief - Vicky Latta's great 4 star horse (New Zealand)

And little Zara, running around the barn during her school holidays! :lol:

Ah, the good ol' days!

Kyrie
Jan. 31, 2007, 11:47 PM
Horse - Fearlith Mor (can't remember English rider's name)

Rider - any kiwi!!

LAZ
Jan. 31, 2007, 11:53 PM
Horse - Fearlith Mor (can't remember English rider's name)

Rider - any kiwi!!

Wasn't that Lorna Clarke?

Event4Life
Feb. 1, 2007, 01:08 AM
Horse would have to be Word Pefect II - becuase he was stabled 2 horses down from the horses I looked after while I was a working student at YRC. I love how he came out on top despite that he doesn't have the best conformation ever.

Horse and rider team- Kim Severson and Windsome Andante. The same summer I was at YRC, one of the so called(self proclaimed) advanced riders there basically said Kim would never come out on top in the 2004 Olympics due to the quality of the other horses...ha, take that. The other American there and I supported her all the way through. We cheered loudly watching her go cross country, even though Chris Bartles Grandmother was watching with us, and supporting Germany.

Rider- Pippa Funnel. I loved her book Training The Young Horse. It's given me so much inspiriation, advice, and comfort as I'm going through training my own young eventer.

asterix
Feb. 1, 2007, 10:44 AM
I wish I could put my finger on why so many of us say "Bruce D" -- but there is something about watching him go xc that just makes you feel, in your bones, the pull of the sport. I saw him at Prelim last summer, and even jumping things I could envision myself jumping (on a really good day -- haven't moved up yet!), it was inspiring.

I always think "be like Bruce" when coming down to something scary, just because if I could channel that fierce, focussed joy, I think I could jump anything.

Most fun currently to watch XC: Buck.
Most fun to watch SJ: Poggio, of course!
Most fun to watch nearly all the time, except when dive bombing the Head of the Lake: WFP

Pair I most want to win, all the time: Sara and Tony

Rider who is so beautiful that my husband, riding all of 4 months, picked him out as a "model" while watching SJ at a local HT: Stephen Bradley. (Husband said "why don't more people ride like that guy? He made it look so graceful and effortless..." Me, "yeah, mostly we just hang our heads and say "dang, why can't I ride more like THAT guy?" But we don't.")

snoopy
Feb. 1, 2007, 11:11 AM
kiwifruit, is she still involved in horses? Do you know what she's doing these days? Gosh, I grew up adoring that "team": Plumb, Tauskey, Davidson, Coffin, Emerson, etc.

Anyone know what Kim Walnes is doing? (We need a "Where are they now" thread.)

Oh, and I want to add Poggio to my favorites. I got the WEG DVD the other day and decided he must be one of the most dramatic, exciting horses to watch--right up there with Murphy Himself. It's funny because I loved how Woody did Rolex like it was a hunter course--he's awesome in exactly the opposite way to Poggio.

I too grew up in the heady days of the riders mentioned above. I started a "where are they now" thread a few weeks back with not too much reponse.
As far a Kim Walnes, she is a good friend and I spoke with her last night. She is in PA and building her business once again after some very trying personal struggles. She is competing a lovely stallion named Gideon at second and third level dressage and is related to Grey Goose. If you would like more info on her you should visit her web page www.thewayofthehorse.com
There is a contact page and I am sure she would love to hear from those who remember the amazing accomplishments she has acheived in her career.
Maryanne Tauskey is in the radnor area and still teaches a lucky few.

VCT
Feb. 1, 2007, 03:04 PM
Rider/Trainer I have the most respect for and admire: Denny Emerson

Up & coming rider/horse I'm rooting for: Kelly Sult & Reggie aka. Hollywood (she's not up to advanced with her horse yet but they'll be there soon) :yes: Course, her being a friend of mine and helping me train one of my horses has nothing to do with it ;)

eventing addict
Feb. 1, 2007, 09:18 PM
I would like to put a vote in for Wendy Lewis!!
A true professional that has worked for everything she has. A wonderful coach as well! A great all around horse woman.

4Martini
Feb. 1, 2007, 10:21 PM
Because they are the ones who inspired this crazy dream:

Mark Todd and Charisma and

Karen Stives and Ben Aurthur (even if she gave me a really bad dressage score when she was the judge at a pony club rally!) They were amazing to watch on TV!

coastocoast
Feb. 1, 2007, 11:21 PM
Latour is our favorite Advanced level horse. Maren Foster rode him and now he is teaching her little sister to event. He's kind, honest, a great jumper and a fabulous mover!

pegasusmom
Feb. 2, 2007, 08:37 AM
I would like to put a vote in for Wendy Lewis!!
A true professional that has worked for everything she has. A wonderful coach as well! A great all around horse woman.

Ahh - my son's first real crush. He rode with her during his yellow pony days and when she moved back to New Jersey he was crushed.

OneDaySoon
Feb. 2, 2007, 10:19 AM
A couple of other horses, that make Rolex, Badminton or Burghley XC look like a Pony Club exercise:

Spring Along
Courageous Comet

Beauty in the dressage ring:
Primore's Pride
Moonfleet
Windfall

Horses I can't Wait To See How Their Futures Develop Further
Toy Town
Minotaure du Passoir
Le Samurai with Amy Tryon :eek:
Northern Spy
McKinlaigh
Courageous Comet

texang73
Feb. 2, 2007, 11:45 AM
Rider? I'd have to say Mark Todd, Ian Stark or Bonnie Mosser (love her!)

Horse? I'm a big fan of Mr. Big, I love to cheer for the little guys tearing around those courses!!

McVillesMom
Feb. 2, 2007, 12:16 PM
Anybody know what's up with Carrick these days? Last I heard (on this thread, I think, last year!) he was coming back into work...but I haven't seen or heard anything about him since. I hope that doesn't mean bad things...:( Pegasusmom, I think you gave me the last update (last March) - any news?

lizathenag
Feb. 2, 2007, 01:17 PM
quite a few years ago, some event was on TV (so it must have been something big).

anyway, some gal rode a horse named Yankee Girl who hadn't run XC in over a year the announcer said.

she had a beautiful round. the horse and rider combo that beat her had an ugly (but faster round).(crawled over the first fence)

anyone remember who is was.

I did a google search to no avail.

I thought Murphy Himself was very cool.

curlykarot
Feb. 2, 2007, 01:42 PM
Murphy Himself was the COOLEST horse. Any time I watched the Badmiton / Burghley videos, I'd always rewind to watch him go again.

jumpxc
Feb. 2, 2007, 02:01 PM
The girl that rode Yankee Girl was Karen Stives and that was at the 1989 Rolex KY 3 day event.
Amy

Fence2Fence
Feb. 2, 2007, 02:10 PM
I'm impressed with all of them! It takes a special horse and rider to get to that level, and they all have my respect.

Since I ride a "little" horse myself, I'm going to mention "Lighter than Air" ...with Abagail Lufkin...if memory serves me correctly. (Highly debatable considering how much cold medicine I've consumed lately.)

*hooray* for the little guys!

Parsons
Feb. 2, 2007, 02:30 PM
Erin Go Bragh is my all time favorite - and a local favorite was Attention all Shoppers!

QHEventr
Feb. 2, 2007, 02:31 PM
Can I vote for my own OTTB Northlight? Unfortunatly his eventing career is over, but I wouldn't trade him for anything. He was better at Advanced than at any other level. My only wish was that we would be able to run Rolex together. He has done everything I have ever asked and owes me nothing. He will have a wonderful retirement here with me.

Johanna

Michelle!
Feb. 2, 2007, 03:18 PM
Favorite Rider: Bruce Davidson, Sr.

Favorite Horse: Murphy Himself

Favorite Horse and Rider Combination: Torrance Watkins and Poltroon

lizathenag
Feb. 2, 2007, 05:55 PM
The girl that rode Yankee Girl was Karen Stives and that was at the 1989 Rolex KY 3 day event.
Amy

Thanks Amy.

I remember watching the Badmindton tapes once and the announcer was saying that Murphy Himself would have a hard time doing the banks that year and they were running the other way.

He cruised through and never twitched an ear.

The announcer said "Never Mind!"

AppJumpr08
Feb. 3, 2007, 02:58 AM
Wow an old thread comes to life! ;)

My new fav advanced horse? Bruce's homebred Jam :)

pwynnnorman
Feb. 3, 2007, 08:16 AM
lizathenag, was that the Badminton where he [Murphy Himself] bounced that bank that had the ditch in front and was supposed to be a one stride? In my mind, he remains the very epitome of scope.

CookiePony
Feb. 3, 2007, 08:29 AM
I don't think I posted on this the first time around...

It would have to be Heather Gillette's Pickle Road-- because I got to ride him and feel what a COOL horse he is! He also has a great personality. :cool:

I have a video of Murphy Himself leaving out strides in a combination-- I think it was Badminton but I would have to go back and watch to make sure.

joliemom, again
Feb. 3, 2007, 10:17 AM
Mine are all moment-by-moments rather than over all favorites. I like those little lessons a few seconds can reveal.

In the distant past when I was a dressage snob (forgive me), Biko and Karen O at Rolex put in the most beautiful and correct ride of the day. I was all "meh" about the others.

I love to watch Phillip, but this past year at Southern Pines HT he cut a corner to a jump while everyone else took it wiiiide. Not once, but all 3 rides. And the cut he took didn't give him more than a couple of strides to set up for that fence. Eeek and wow all at the same time.

David O'Connor also had one of those moments a few years ago at Rolex. XC had been halted due to a rider injury. So, he and his horse stood there. And stood there. And stood there. Way to lose momentum for the average rider. Howev's, as soon as he was allowed to go, he gave his horse a big thwack for maximum forward, and they carried on as if nothing happened.

HiJumpGrrl
Feb. 3, 2007, 10:42 AM
I think my favorite pictures of a horse I've seen have been of Farnley Rob Roy and Denny Emerson. Fairweather, Jeannette and Joliemom have all seen the one where he's banking a table in the Head-of-the-lake. Incredible. I very much admire Hideaway's Erin Go Bragh and what Carol Kozlowski was able to do with him. And The Grasshopper and Michael Page. (I'm a sucker for the little ones, what can I say?)

Of today's riders, I very much admire Phillip Dutton's security of seat, and his ability to gallop 5 very different horses over an advanced course in one day.

bambam
Feb. 3, 2007, 12:49 PM
I simply cannot pick only one :)
I did not get to see any of the old greats like Murphy Himself and Charisma and the like
Of those currently going:
Put me in the club of those that love watching Bruce D go x-country- just brilliant to watch and always makes me smile
My favorite to watch as a team is Kim and Dan. They made all 3 phases at Rolex look as easy as a novice horse trial to me
I also love watching WFP- aside from having a crush on him:lol: , he is so elegant in the ring and his x-country is just wonderful- even though he is so tall and long in the upper body, he always seems to be in the perfect balance on x-country
As for horses- I love Coup de Coeur and McKinleigh and watching Theodore O'Connor and Poggio

Lessonlady
Feb. 4, 2007, 03:40 PM
Riders: Karen O'Connor, Bonnie Mosser and Mara Dean

Horses: Carrick, Erin go Bragh

gully's pilot
Feb. 4, 2007, 06:38 PM
I've got to vote for Erin Go Bragh since I event a Connemara too.

My favorite single spectator moment in eventing was watching Bruce Sr. and Little Tricky take the Head of the Lake in a monumental downpour about five years back--perfectly, and with a giant sh!t-eating smile on Bruce's face.

Love Karen. Always will.

Think Amy Tryon has more guts than any thirty average people roped together.

ica7059
Feb. 4, 2007, 08:25 PM
my favorite favorite favorite horse was and always will be Kildonan Tug.... (now, i am prone to him since I was given the chance by Abigail to compete him in his last few months, and we won the Radnor prelim together and more) but he truly was an unbelievable horse, just amazing...

And my favorite riders,
Susie Beale (I am prone to her too... since shes my mom)
and of course, Phillip Dutton (he is an amazing rider as well as a great person)