View Full Version : How much did your geotextile footing cost?

Jul. 21, 2012, 10:24 AM
Sorry to be nosy and ask but I've started my search to redo our paddock. It's 35 x 60, so small and doable. I guess I was figuring somewhere around $5-700 to do it, and it seems that number is really low.
I contacted a landscape co that said they can do the geotextile for $.25/ sq ft. I called regarding cow carpet, and their price was around $500 for a 12 x300 roll, so obviously the cow carpet is a better price, if not by much.

Then, the landscaper gave me some estimations of price on stone, excavating/leveling, etc. the labor itself on the scraping was about $900/day for a small skid loader. I dont think their price is out of line with our area, and they were very helpful and courteous, I just don't know if. I can swing it.

Basically to have it done for us, I'm guessing around 2-3000k. Hubby is more than capable, but we would definitely need to rent a skid for the day to scrape and then to pour/move the stone.

I'm trying to see if doing it yourself will keep me in the under 1k category!

Jul. 28, 2012, 12:56 PM
The geotextile fabric we used comes on a 12.5' roll, and is $1.25/linear foot. We did the grading and prep ourselves. I can't remember how many tons came on it, but a triple axle dump truck full of stonedust was around $300-$350 delivered.

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Jul. 28, 2012, 01:18 PM
I've bought geotex twice from US Fabrics. They have a website w a lot of good info, and are very helpful on the phone, too.

The trucking cost for one roll might make it prohibitive to buy direct from them.

Offhand I'd bet you can do 35X60 for less than 2 grand, but that might be me fooling myself about how much all this has run me! ;)

Bear in mind hiring or renting bigger equipment can often work out cheaper than smaller, less per hour equipment. Then luting the big equip to your property for such a small job can be the challenge, but sometimes you can find a crew working nearby, or one with a day to kill, or someone moonlighting, and save a bundle.

Also, once you have the base like you want it and the fabric down, a good dump truck driver can save you tons of work. Maybe they can dump on the run such that you only have to smooth things out, not move tons of screenings all over the place, or at least they can dump in a way which will be easier for your equipment to move what they dump. Chatting up the dispatcher at your local quarry (brief chats, they are busy!) but asking if they have a really good driver they can send can be a huge help.

To price it out as a DIY, you can do the math for how many cubic feet of material you will need to buy and truck in, then call around for how many tons and how much per ton that will be delivered to you.

In the end, having a mud free paddock = PRICELESS!!

Jul. 28, 2012, 04:48 PM
I want to say ours was about $1.15/linear foot (12.5' wide) from our local Soil Conservation Office. That was GSA price and no sales tax.

Try your local SCO and see if they do the same.