PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Eventing Saddle

Omerkie
Jul. 18, 2012, 03:18 PM
Hi everyone I am looking for a saddle to use for eventing, possibly a mono flap, maybe one I can use for all three phases since I will only be doing Beg. Novice/Novice for a while...I am a hunter that is converting! :) Your suggestions would be appreciated!

MorganJumper848
Jul. 18, 2012, 04:06 PM
I recently switched from County to CWD. I really like the CWD rep and the flexible tree is really nice. I know you can get a monoflap or big blocks.

MtyMax
Jul. 18, 2012, 04:14 PM
I would stay away from some of the AP "eventing" saddles. Flaps are too long and straight for any decent jumping.

Go with whatever jumping saddle works for you. Do you have one that you currently love?

I have a new County on order that I'm in love with. In the past I jumped in an older Stubben that balanced me perfectly. I rode dressage in the Stubben as well simply because I did not have the available funds at the time for 2 saddles. Now that I'm a bit older and have both a dressage and Jumping saddle....it is much easier to do correct dressage in a dressage saddle;)

If you can afford it, buy both.

mg
Jul. 18, 2012, 04:17 PM
If you're looking to ride all three phases in the same saddle and only doing BN/N for now, I would just stick to whatever close contact saddle you already have. doing flat in a saddle made for XC, while doable, is not the greatest. The balance is different.

scubed
Jul. 18, 2012, 04:25 PM
I would be pretty surprised if the saddle you ride hunters in is not suitable for lower level eventing. Some saddles that I have liked on the flat, but that are also good to jump in include my current Wise-Equestrian monoflap jump saddle, Berney Bros Dublin Jumper, a really old Courbette Pandur FZ Spezial, an older County Profit and a Devoucoux Oreka.

KateMcCall
Jul. 18, 2012, 04:29 PM
I'm not a saddle expert but I really like Zaldi.
Like everyone else, I think you should be fine using your saddle until you graduate to Training level or higher

JWB
Jul. 18, 2012, 05:26 PM
If you already have a jumping saddle that you're comfortable in, keep on using it. No need for something different at lower levels. If you have the budget for another saddle, right now you'd probably be better served getting yourself something for dressage. I know, I know..... everyone says you don't need one at the lower levels, but they will be easier to do the flat work in, and the percentage of riders using one at the lowest levels is still pretty darn high, especially compared to the percentage using some "eventing specific" jump saddle.

I rode very happily in a Courbette Pandur for years. I have another friend who swears by her Pessoa (not sure of the model) and know a ton of people still using old-style Stubbens. These days I jump in an Albion and I LOVE it.

Auto Be A Storm
Jul. 18, 2012, 05:47 PM
I have a lovely Schleese eventer that I love love love to ride in. It is a custom fitted saddle. I could ride flat in it but I have a dressage saddle too. It is my favorite saddle in the world!!! Pricey, but worth every penny!

Mtn trails
Jul. 18, 2012, 06:02 PM
I did BN and N in my close contact Crosby pancake PDN and then a CC Toulouse, I just recently bought a used Berney Bros eventing saddle and have a dressage saddle so you're fine in what you have now.

candysgirl
Jul. 18, 2012, 06:43 PM
Is it possible to get two used saddles? You can find older Stubbens pretty inexpensively on eBay.

RSEventer
Jul. 18, 2012, 06:57 PM
Definitely keep your regular saddle- eventing equipment can get really expensive....try the sport for a year before you start buying saddles, etc! You will not be penalized in the dressage or XC phase for using your saddle.

HappyHorselover
Jul. 18, 2012, 11:40 PM
I'm a hunter convert and I did all three phases in my County Stabilizer. I have a County dressage saddle now too, but still love the Stabilizer for both SJ and XC. I only see myself looking for a different jumping saddle if I get to Training (maybe). I feel really good in my Stabilizer, but I like minimalist saddles. It has blocks, but nothing huge. Love it.