PDA

View Full Version : Gary Mundy leathers - Reinfored with thread, or regular?

runNjump86
Jul. 18, 2012, 02:16 PM
Ok got the length figured out. For those of you who HAVE these leathers, what kind did you get? The regular plain ones, or the ones reinforced with nylon stitching?

To be clear, not the ones that have the nylon core, just the nylon thread on the outside of the leather.

McVillesMom
Jul. 18, 2012, 02:56 PM
I'm not sure what the distance is from the top of my iron to the stirrup bar, but I'm also 5'8", and I use 48" leathers on my jumping saddle (and 54" on my dressage). With the 48" leathers, I have a couple of inches sticking out past the keeper.

Maybe think about how much extra leather you had with the 54" Courbettes and subtract that number from 54?

FoxChaser
Jul. 18, 2012, 03:39 PM
Explain all of what you've said to Gary. He is FANTASTIC at getting it done and done right. I'm sure he could do wonders with the explanation you've given. :)

reay6790
Jul. 18, 2012, 03:59 PM
I have no idea if this will help you whatsoever, but I ordered my dressage leathers from him. I am 5'8'' with long legs, and I ordered 58'' length and they were perfect. I also got the half hole pattern. I would probably order a 50'' for my CC saddle if i didn't have CWD leathers. I think my CWD leathers are 58'' and are a tad long for me.

eponacowgirl
Jul. 18, 2012, 08:53 PM
Measure your current leathers from the buckle to the hole you ride on and tell Gary that is how you measured them- he will make that measurement the "middle hole"

runNjump86
Jul. 18, 2012, 09:30 PM
Thanks everyone!!

The reason I didn't just ask him is on his order form he says he's no longer advising on lengths due to differences in saddles and such. I can understand why, especially if he advises someone and they turn out less than thrilled with their leathers!!

I am SO excited to order these!!1

Hampton Bay
Jul. 18, 2012, 09:46 PM
I had the same experience. I measured my leathers from the buckle to the stirrup and told him if I wanted more holes to go shorter or longer, and the length he sent was perfect. I have a feeling his unwillingness to give advice is of the "I'm 5'8" tall and I need leathers for a jumping saddle" type, not the "my current leathers measure 18" from stirrup to buckle" type.

runNjump86
Jul. 20, 2012, 07:09 PM
Hampton, I did the same thing! He thought 50" sounded short for my height, but should be okay for jumping.

Now, reinforced stitching, or regular?

FoxChaser
Jul. 20, 2012, 07:36 PM
Mine are the reinforced stitching. I've been using them for... a year or so? Haven't noticed any stretching. Love them!!! :) I've got nylon-cored Nunn Finer leathers on another saddle and hate, hate, hate them. They are too thick and have carved grooves into my saddle flap. Not going to happen with Gary's leathers!

NO-CTRL
Jul. 30, 2012, 02:12 AM
Just sticking my nose in to say i ordered some of Gary's leathers; the nylon core, for my jumping saddle. I am 5'0 and ordered 50" (which will probably have a bit more end sticking out than is perfect, but i'd rather my instructor be able to let them down enough when ever she hops on)
I can't wait for them to arrive (all the way to Australia!)

If they are nice i am going to order the nylon stitched ones for my dressage saddle.

Which ones did you end up going for runNjump86?

runNjump86
Jul. 30, 2012, 01:35 PM
For my jump saddle I got the type #2 regular leathers with nylon stitching, and also a pair of dressage leathers.

enjoytheride
Jul. 30, 2012, 07:02 PM
I ordered the 50 way back in the day and I'm 5' 3". Still have then on my saddle and they have worn fantastic.

Hampton Bay
Jul. 31, 2012, 06:50 PM
I have the dressage leathers and love them. I also have a halter from him, fancy stitching on the nose and crown with wavy stitching on the cheeks. It's way nicer than my Quillins.

runNjump86
Aug. 1, 2012, 01:13 AM
Hampton, may I ask how much the halter was?