PDA

View Full Version : Silly, funny things your horses do. . .

fooler
Jul. 18, 2012, 10:58 AM
My TWH gelding is a smart-goof, always into to things, making faces, untieing ropes, etc.
He had a new one this morning on our way out to the paddock. We came across my mare's droppings from yesterday evening. He takes a quick whiff (normal) then tippy-toes around it.
As in YUCKY, I don't any body else's poop on my feet. Gave me an unexpected giggle for the morning.:lol:

Soooo what do your ponies do that make you giggle or laugh?

walknsound
Jul. 18, 2012, 11:07 AM
LOL! That is funny! My TWH gelding will throw feed pans if I'm late feeding. , once he marched up to the house will feed pan in his mouth, "Somebody FEED ME!!" (My horses have run of my 14 acres, including right up to the house.)

Ambitious Kate
Jul. 18, 2012, 11:25 AM
One hot day my horse was eating grass all around the outside of the barn while I was inside mucking. Large barn, 24 stalls. It was cool in the barn. all the feed tubs - those rubber shallow pans - were upside down in the ailse in front of each stall. He steps into the barn aisle, looking around, then proceeds to walk down the aisle, stopping at each feed pan. He steps on the edge of the bottom of the pan and flips it over, sticks his nose in it looking for feed, none of course, proceeds on to the next one, dose the same, flipping over each pan in front of each stall, looking to see if anything was in it. Had to laugh.

Once he found an upside down bucket, bent down with his teeth, picked it up and flipped his head and flipped it over. Landed right side up, and he plunged his head into it to see if anything was in it. Nothing, of course. You could just see him thinking "Dang!".

oldpony66
Jul. 18, 2012, 12:56 PM
not my horse, but was boarded at the same barn...

owner would turn her horse out in a nice-sized individual paddock, and hang the leadrope on the fence. Suddenly every day, the leadrope would end up laying on the grass, or even out in the driveway, and no one could ever quite figure out HOW (owner was convinced the barn help didn't like her and were doing it on purpose). Anyway it wasn't a big deal but finally after a few weeks of this we caught the culprit. It was the horse. He would pick the leadrope up by his teeth at an end further away from the clip. Then he would swing the rope around in circles - while cantering around the paddock - and let go on an upswing. That's when he would screech to a halt and just waaatch it go up up up... down down down. He'd walk over, pick it up, and repeat. He would do this over and over again. Occasionally it fell outside the paddock (hence always finding it outside and never inside the paddock!). When this was discovered, his owner got him a leadrope to play with and kept a separate leadrope for actual leading purposes, I think she knotted it to the gate or something but he was able to continue his hobby!

WBLover
Jul. 18, 2012, 01:16 PM
My horses LOVE to play with anything they can get their teeth on. And they love to fling things at each other! Their rubber feed tubs, the short water hose attached to the spicket, which I didn't think they would mess with, any clothing on each other--I mend frequently!! I've been known to search high and low for 30 minutes trying to find the feed bowl in their 2 acre pasture!

After I ride my big guy, as soon as I take off his bridle and put on his halter, he starts nickering at me so I DO NOT forget his sugar cube for being a good boie.....heaven forbid!!

Mosey_2003
Jul. 18, 2012, 01:23 PM
Mine takes no greater joy than if he can get away with licking the farrier's head. :-/

Ridinwyoming
Jul. 18, 2012, 01:34 PM
I recently moved my horse to a new stable. At the old place he would be in cross-ties but at the new place they only have a hitching post. Up on the wall next to the hitching post is a box full of horsey things - scissors, fly spray, shampoo, etc. When I tie him up he has to rummage through this box and always picks out something with his mouth and holds it for a few seconds and then drops it and goes back for more rummaging. :lol:

So now he is being taught a new skill - standing still away from the box. ;)

Oberon13
Jul. 18, 2012, 01:34 PM
:yes:

Mine takes no greater joy than if he can get away with licking the farrier's head. :-/

My horse is SUCH a licker! She loves textures, so in the winter I wear my Carhartt for her (she'll lick it for hours). She also loves it when I'm sweaty in the summer...eewww. :D

fooler
Jul. 18, 2012, 01:36 PM
Really funny stories!

This happened years ago at a farm where I boarded and worked.
I was scrubbing the water tanks, other barn help didn't notice the green scum:eek:. Had scrubbed and was refilling 70+ gallon metal tank in TB paddock then moved over to the smaller tank in the "stallion' paddock. So the TBs' came up to drink the fresh water. One mare put her head in the tank to drink, water level was still low so her head was all the way in the tank. Her full brother, an Advance level Eventing gelding, kicks the tank - BOOM! Mare's head pops up and she look around, gelding is watching her and I swear grinning. She goes to drink again and he kicks the tank again. . . This goes on for a couple of minutes till she decides to leave and drink later. He doesn't do this with any of the other 15 or so horses. So it was definitely an older brother irritating a younger sister. :lol::lol::lol:

2DogsFarm
Jul. 18, 2012, 01:47 PM
Sam - 17h+ WB & Kouma - 12h Hackney - play Musical Stalls.

They are out 24/7, but come in to get fed, sorting themselves into "their" stalls.

I hay first and they start munching on that while I prepare their grain ration.
Each one stays in the stall they picked and Peace Reigns.

After finishing their grain, inevitably Sam decides maybe Kouma has better hay, so he "evicts" pony by walking into the stall behind him.

Kouma is no dummy, he leaves...but never without pinning his ears and making a face at Sam...who totally ignores this.

Besides, Sam usually leaves a dribble of grain for Kouma to Hoover up before Sam decides his stall really has the best stuff and the switcheroo reoccurs. Every.Single.Day.Twice.A.Day.

cottonXCblondie
Jul. 18, 2012, 03:26 PM
My mare likes to nip at the farrier. I just stand/sit near her and hold her lead rope during her trims and she'll bends her head around and then inch closer and closer like she's just smelling his skoal can or something and apparently if I'm not there to tell her "no" she'll nip at him.

Last July, she pulled the hose off of the automatic waterer in her pasture and then splashed some of the water out of it with her head and then flipped the whole thing over and rolled around in the puddle. It gets mighty hot here!

msj
Jul. 18, 2012, 05:43 PM
May he RIP in the back pasture but my dearly beloved Chocolate Centurion was a clown and then some. There were many times that only a Mother could love him. :yes:

Let's see, he figured out how to unhook the plastic handle on the electric fence. When I found it lying on the ground the 2nd day in a row, I presumed I had screwed up. I hooked it back up, turned my back and then next thing I heard was the scraping of metal against metal. I turned around and Chocolate had the handle in his mouth and was lifting it off the screw eye!:eek: He very carefully backed up enough to drop it out of his way. I tied it after that and thank heavens he couldn't untie it but it was a PITA to do and undo every day. :rolleyes: :yes:

Then there was the day I had just finished a jumping lesson, was standing on the ground chatting with a neighbor, and Chocolate grabbed the jump cup in his teeth and tossed the jump standard over our heads. :eek: :eek: We didn't chuckle at the time. :no:

He managed to take his lightweight Rambo off without unbuckling anything and stomp it into the mud one day while I was at work. :mad:

I could go on for hrs about his escapades and much as I miss him, I really hope that after I 'planted' him he doesn't grow! :yes: :D

Hippolyta
Jul. 19, 2012, 05:21 AM
I think a lot of horses may do this, but mine always yawns when I am getting to the part on tacking up routine where her bridle goes on.

Even before I take off halter or anything- she sees me coming towards her with bridle & she starts yawning. She does it more than a few times between then & when bit goes in. I tell myself she is stretching her jaw, but I think she is really stalling b/c I always let her finish.

My childhood pony had stall with an open hay loft above him on one wall. It was high enough that larger horses with same wall never tried to get at the hay. Pony, however, would lean against the wall, s-t-r-e-t-ch is neck & stand on tippy toes to get at hay. He would eventually, somehow, brace the side of his chest so hard against the wall that it would hold him such that closer leg was off the ground, so he was kind of held up in half-rear. Then he would get one or two strands of hay. A lot of effort for not much reward!

same pony - when I got older & got a horse, every time pony saw me with horse he would travel as close as he could to us in his pasture & back his butt against the fence in our direction. Jealous!

Horse at my current barn will curl his tongue up & out over his top lip for a good 5 minutes after eating a mint.

imaginique
Jul. 19, 2012, 10:46 AM
Dani loves water. She has a habit of washing her feet in the water trough. On a trail ride if there's standing water on the trail she'll drop into it with no warning. :lol:

msj
Jul. 19, 2012, 11:04 AM
My current horse, Tiger Bay, would curl his upper lip/nose when I would go to put the bridle on. It's also one of his symptoms of colic. :( Since I no longer ride when I see him doing it, I take serious notice. :yes:

SmartAlex
Jul. 19, 2012, 11:18 AM
My horse loves to stall out the bridleing process too. First he tries to grab the strings on his gnat hat. Then he has to adjust his jaw with repetitive yawns. He drops his head down to the foor so I have to haul it back up to human height. And while I am attempting to buckle the caveson, he is busy trying to tickle my stomach with his upper lip.

crystalyoung1
Jul. 19, 2012, 11:36 AM
My neighbors haflinger would suck on mints not chew them:lol:
I could give him one when I started grooming him and by the time I was ready to bridle him he was still sucking on it! He did this with other treats too but not as much as mints. Same neighbors donkey was a rescue from abuse. He was very timid but wanted attention and treats too. He would wait till the big horses had gotten all of theirs and left to munch hay outside then he would just appear at your elbow looking sad :sadsmile: waiting for a treat. He would follow me around while I cleaned out the leanto and wait for a treat or a section of the "good" hay. Not pushy just looking forlorn like he never got anything:winkgrin:.
We lost both of these lovely horses this past winter within a month of each other and still miss them dearly:cry:

Vesper Sparrow
Jul. 19, 2012, 12:02 PM
When I'm grooming him and hit an itchy spot, my gelding Bird dips his head and cranes his neck so his nose is pointed to the sky and rolls his eyes back into his sockets so all I see is white and red. For a guy with a shortish neck, he can do amazing things with it. He'll also stretch out his back leg way back so I can brush the meaty spot on his thigh and do a "haunches in" so I can reach his butt better. A true man!

He's pulled a few escapes. I opened the top of his stall door once and was surprised at how nonchalantly he opened the bottom door by himself, as if he had done it a 100 times. One time my trainer and I trailered out for a trailride, came back a couple of hours later and found no gelding in his stall. We looked around the property frantically and she was ready to call the police until I finally spotted him in the indoor, casually munching hay from the hay wagons that were parked there.

WBLover
Jul. 19, 2012, 12:32 PM
Dani loves water. She has a habit of washing her feet in the water trough. On a trail ride if there's standing water on the trail she'll drop into it with no warning. :lol:

OMG my DD's pony does this--I don't find it quite so cute when I have to dump and scrub out the water trough TWICE a day! He literally scrapes the mud off his feet onto the edges of it, and then dunks the foot entirely in it. The trough is disgusting. I wish I could break him of it!!

Mosey_2003
Jul. 19, 2012, 12:57 PM
Get one of those short, long troughs and fill it up for his feet and raise the drinking trough up high enough that he can't get his foot in it.

Mukluk
Jul. 19, 2012, 05:12 PM
My horse loves to play with her tongue. If she thinks you are going to feed her she sticks her tongue in and out rapidly on both sides of her mouth. When she is done eating she licks the hitching post. She also is a master of "I am starving and have not eaten in WEEKS" look when she wants food.

pony baloney
Jul. 20, 2012, 09:52 PM
My horse must have an itchy tongue, because sometimes he'll stick it out and then pull it back in while biting down on it, sort of scraping it. Also MUST have some water after a peppermint.

He always has to have a bit of hay or grass sticking out the side of his mouth, for safekeeping. I think a toothpick would look way more cool.

farmgirl598
Jul. 22, 2012, 10:03 AM
I've had several horses who knew how to let themselves out of a stall. We have latches, but now have to lock them down with a screw eye and toggle bolt. My (late) gelding Dusty was best at this, and his previous owner told me a story about him letting himself out of his stall one night, breaking out of the fence, going to the neighbors barn and letting THEIR horses out, then coming home and returning to his pasture. In the morning, he was standing there with a "what, who ME?" look. She didn't fine out the details of his escapades until later, when the neighbor said she saw him in their barn, but he headed home when she tried to catch him. He was a character and then some! I have a pony that will turn her butt to you for a scratch, and will stand all day to have her "butt rub". Also have a gelding who does the "crane the neck and roll the eyes" when he is scratched hard on the shoulder, and have a mare that will push her stall door open when she sees us coming with her full feed bucket. She will also grab the feed pan with her teeth and shake it, in order to get all the feed in one corner so she can eat it much more easily. Our other mare will wipe her own mouth after eating. We just hold a rag to her lips, and she wiggles them back and forth across it. They all have such wonderful personalities and quirks, don't they?

walknsound
Jul. 22, 2012, 10:33 AM
I've had several horses who knew how to let themselves out of a stall. We have latches, but now have to lock them down with a screw eye and toggle bolt. My (late) gelding Dusty was best at this, and his previous owner told me a story about him letting himself out of his stall one night, breaking out of the fence, going to the neighbors barn and letting THEIR horses out, then coming home and returning to his pasture. In the morning, he was standing there with a "what, who ME?" look. She didn't fine out the details of his escapades until later, when the neighbor said she saw him in their barn, but he headed home when she tried to catch him. He was a character and then some! I have a pony that will turn her butt to you for a scratch, and will stand all day to have her "butt rub". Also have a gelding who does the "crane the neck and roll the eyes" when he is scratched hard on the shoulder, and have a mare that will push her stall door open when she sees us coming with her full feed bucket. She will also grab the feed pan with her teeth and shake it, in order to get all the feed in one corner so she can eat it much more easily. Our other mare will wipe her own mouth after eating. We just hold a rag to her lips, and she wiggles them back and forth across it. They all have such wonderful personalities and quirks, don't they?

Dusty was quite the character! LOL! My Mule is extremely talented in opening fences, I have to be careful, if he sees me open a fence he can do it. He'll pretend to be nibbling grass, all the time watching intently to learn fastener combinations! He's a draft mule, and even with those big lips he can open stuff. Finally put a big padlock on gate,PITA, but not as bad as retrieving loose equines after dark! One time everybody out but my Mustang mare. She was standing calmly watching, like, "I'm not going out that gate, Mama won't be happy!" LOL!

laskiblue
Jul. 22, 2012, 01:36 PM
My Appy mare removes hats, likes to run zippers up and down, plays with the collar on my polo shirts, pulls very delicately on belt loops, and unties boot laces. Imagine her surprise when I started double tying the laces -- she popped her head up and gave me a dirty look. The odd thing is she has some impairments to her broader field of vision, but she is very precise when she plays these little games with me.

PeteyPie
Jul. 22, 2012, 01:48 PM
One of my horses is a talker. She is very vocal when anyone comes near. It started as excitement over food. She was very thin when I got her and anxious and excited about her food. Now that she is normal (maybe a little above normal?) weight and used to having hay available almost all the time, she has extended her vocalizations to just happiness to see people. It makes it fun to see her too and she gets a lot of attention due to her talkiness.

Someone mentioned how annoying it is in movies with horse scenes to have all the whinnies and nickers dubbed in excessively and inaccurately. I think about that sometimes when I'm with her, "You oughtta be in pictures. Hollywood would love you!" She'd have to work in a sound studio though, because she is, like my favorite race horse, Richard's Kid, a solid bay with no white.

Sorry Sweetheart, you have no chrome. No one but me interested!

pony grandma
Jul. 22, 2012, 01:52 PM
Hey Vesper Sparrow I had a horse named Bird too! (and a cat named Chicken - good luck teaching the kids their vocabulary when they were little! ) He got named the Bird b/c he would jump out of any enclosures whenever he darn well felt like it. He was pushing 30 yrs old when I was standing at the kitchen sink window and saw him go sailing over a 5ft alum paddock gate (it was hung high and the ground was pitched downhill on the near side).

Our current prankster personality in the barn is the houdini. If he gets out he opens ALL the doors, you walk out there and it looks like he's thrown a party! -- you cannot tell me that they don't have a thought or reasoning process!! He too carefully watches 'how' things are done, and he LOVES it when he has an audience to see him run thru his routines.

I had a horse that would run pasture gate checks every hour on the hour. You could watch him walk from gate to gate, stop and flip the chains to see if any were left loose. Then he'd go back and recheck them all again each hour. He'd also carry a green 5 gal bucket the whole length of the pasture and up a hill, where I'd have to go find it all the time. He must have stopped traffic on the road carrying that bucket like that.

Electrikk
Jul. 22, 2012, 09:38 PM
I learned this past winter that Hannah knows how to undo zippers... but only if she thinks that there's a treat in there.

She also loves it when I play with her tongue. She'll stick it out, then I'll grab it, she'll pull it back in her mouth, then stick it out again and wait for me to grab it. By far her favorite game!

One of my trainer's little ponies purses his lips whenever he is displeased with something, such as during bath time or when he has to have his fly mask.

Vesper Sparrow
Jul. 22, 2012, 10:17 PM
Ha, ha, Pony Grandma, my Bird is too lazy to jump out of anything, although he certainly is more than physically capable of doing so. He's more the stand there and think about how he can get out of work type. I call him the Shetland brain trapped in the TB body.

I need to get a photo of his expressions. There's his "calculating face" which is is so obvious and so funny. There's the "cool appraisal" face. And the "aren't I the business, I've got everyone else going" face.