PDA

View Full Version : Portland area- help?

DressageOverFences
Jul. 17, 2012, 07:48 PM
So ive read as much as I can on this board and Ive been asking around the people in my town but I still feel just as confused as ever as to what barns I should go look at in a few weeks to decide where my horse will live this coming fall when we move.
I will be in the forest grove/Hillsborough/beaverton area. I dont want to drive forever but if its a good barn about a half hour would be my limit.
I do jumpers, dressage, and trail riding with my mare, but really want to get into eventing. shes about 1st level dressage and starting to jump 3´3-3´6 with the potential to do more. and she LOVES going for a good gallop outside.
I would also love an opportunity to get in on some sort of part time working student or groom position.
So now im just hoping there are some oregon eventers out there to point me in the right direction. It seems like the best event trainers are a bit farther from me (unless there are some smaller ones that are closer) so recommendations for a good solid dressage or jumper trainer thats fine with clients working with other trainers and showing on their own?
also, would love to hear about trainer to stay away from...
Really just trying to get to know the area but finding it difficult! I will go up and talk to the gallops people, but I cant make it up to portland right this second. :)
thank you all in advance!

Calvincrowe
Jul. 18, 2012, 12:27 AM
Sherwood Forest has a CC course, and a variety of trainers. Pumpkin
Ridge has an event trainer--Mari Kerola. Lake Oswego Hunt Club has a small event course.

Have you looked thru Flying Changes magazine? I'm sure you have, and have probably narrowed down your choices by trainer/barn location, etc.

As far as eventing trainers--oddly, two of the best in the area are in Clark County, Anna Collier and Anne Carr.

Heinz 57
Jul. 18, 2012, 02:34 PM
It's really going to depend on what city you are in, and what part/side of said city. It can take upwards of half an hour just to get through some parts town during rush hour!

megc
Jul. 23, 2012, 09:49 AM
Definitely talk to Mari Kerola at Pumpkin Ridge. She is wonderful and its a really nice facility.

Edited to add: Its also located in North Plains which is very near Hillsboro/Beaverton/Forest Grive. And Mari rides with Anna Collier.

She taught me when i switched from dressage (i've since moved to California).

fibbermaggee
Jul. 23, 2012, 10:06 AM
I lived in the North Plains area for years and it is hard to find a barn that is set up for any kind of eventing in that area. Pumpkin Ridge is a beautiful facility but was $800 per month when I checked last. That may have gone down considerably but it was pretty fancy. Lake Oswego hunt is the closest with a cross country course and it will take you 45 minutes from Forest Grove if there is no traffic. In traffic (highway 26 is impossible!) it will take you alot longer. Most of the big jumper facilities are south of Portland in the Sherwood/Wilsonville area and the eventing trainers, like others have said, are up in Clarke county. Probably your best bet is to find a nice local facility that you like, take your own jumps and then haul to Lake Oswego or up to Ridgefield (Farm hill is spectacular!) or down south. It's a bit tough and keep in mind also that with the weather here, riding out in the winter is nearly impossible. There is very little footing that can take it. Most of us in the winter here just hunker down and do alot of flat work in the arenas and stadium jumping. I have been considering doing like the Brit's and just taking off Nov. through Feb. and starting back up at the beginning of Spring. If you can find a facility that backs up to logging land you can ride on the logging roads, which I have done in the winter. Good luck to you and don't forget to try the McMennamins Grand lodge in Forest Grove. Lots of activities throughout the year....live music, good beer!

tulkas
Jul. 24, 2012, 01:17 AM
The only USEA ICP level IV instructor in Oregon is Julie Hook at Talisman Farms in Aurora. I think that you can find her listing in Flying Changes magazine.

tulkas