PDA

View Full Version : Odd braiding/turnout question, no forelock?

Heinz 57
Jul. 17, 2012, 04:59 PM
Yes, braiding is not required, and I rarely do it unless I have a horse that needs little prep and a lot of free time. However.

My mare (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/erin7264/Honigbar/012-1.jpg) is of the less than blessed (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=397466436963310&set=a.299446340098654.70883.285828351460453&type=3)in the forelock department. Enough so, that there isn't any real chance of turning it into a proper braid without adding quite a bit of yarn. She's also terribly ear shy, especially with hands near her ears. I've got to back her into a corner and take apart the bridle to even get it on her head.

Would it be horrible of me to just....shave it off? Or would I then need to roach the entire thing? I'm not opposed to that idea, either, she has a lovely neck, but there is certainly enough hair there to braid.

I know, I know, eventers aren't concerned with such vanity, but I'm stuck at work on a nice day when I should be out riding, so humor me. ;)

Badger
Jul. 17, 2012, 05:03 PM
Just leave it unbraided. It's not that uncommon to see a horse with braided mane and unbraided forelock.

jbonifas
Jul. 17, 2012, 05:03 PM
I would braid the mane and leave her less than full forelock alone. Give her a little bling on her brow band and ride with a smile.

Mtn trails
Jul. 17, 2012, 05:27 PM
What a pretty mare! I like the idea of leaving it alone and having a blingy browband. My horse, however, has the opposite - tons of forelock and mane to match.

Heinz 57
Jul. 17, 2012, 05:35 PM
I would braid the mane and leave her less than full forelock alone. Give her a little bling on her brow band and ride with a smile.

Oh, that's not hard to do with this mare. :lol: She's just so simple at shows.

Marginally Safe
Jul. 17, 2012, 08:57 PM
I would shave it. My friends mare has the same problem. We even tried MTGing it but still she had a tuff with about 3 long hairs sticking out. In the end shaving it looked far more clean cut and professional. No one noticed until we pointed it out. It just looked like her forelock was braided very neatly. Instead of it looking like a messy braid thats falling out.

judybigredpony
Jul. 17, 2012, 09:02 PM
I would braid the mane and leave her less than full forelock alone. Give her a little bling on her brow band and ride with a smile. :yes::yes::yes:

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 17, 2012, 10:05 PM
Just leave it unbraided.

Highflyer
Jul. 17, 2012, 10:06 PM
If you shave it, it may never grow back. Just leave it unbraided.

Mukluk
Jul. 17, 2012, 11:32 PM
Maybe you could "harvest" some mane from close to the withers and make a fake "stick on" braid? Or not. She's a pretty girl regardless.

phoebetrainer
Jul. 18, 2012, 04:19 AM
Very much the "in thing" in some circles to have a well braided mane and leave the forelock loose. Start a new trend in your area.

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 18, 2012, 06:42 AM
Also make sure you keep your bridle path cut a bit further back and comb forward. That's what I do with a few of mine who are similar...it helps a little.

purplnurpl
Jul. 18, 2012, 09:42 AM
I would shave it. My friends mare has the same problem. We even tried MTGing it but still she had a tuff with about 3 long hairs sticking out. In the end shaving it looked far more clean cut and professional. No one noticed until we pointed it out. It just looked like her forelock was braided very neatly. Instead of it looking like a messy braid thats falling out.

I was going to say the same thing.
Shave it off.

Ransom's Rider
Jul. 18, 2012, 12:35 PM
My horse has just a little bit more of a forelock than yours, but not much. It's too little to braid, though I've tried but it always looks terrible. I've thought about making a fake braid to add to it but in the end, I've just been leaving it unbraided and it hasn't hurt our scores or turnout one bit in my opinion :D I usually just slick it down with a little hairspray and make sure the rest of my braids are impeccable.

The blingy browband is a good idea, maybe I'll go with that!

Hilary
Jul. 18, 2012, 12:46 PM
I wouldn't shave it, but I would slick it down for a show with hair gel so it's not so fuzzy.

ShearConvenience
Jul. 18, 2012, 01:09 PM
You can grow out your bridle path over the winter and part a little of it forward to make some of it into "forelock". This might give you the little bit you need to make a reasonable braid. If not just leave it be. I think it would look strange to shave it.

mg
Jul. 18, 2012, 01:22 PM
Leave it be and don't braid it. I stopped braiding my pony's forelock because it made him look like an awkward yearling :)

Mukluk
Jul. 19, 2012, 02:05 PM
My horse has more forelock than yours, it isn't much but I can braid it. The edges of her forelock are "pony fuzz." I am at a western barn where some of the horses have pretty impressive forelocks. And if you've ever seen an Icelandic horse, man those things have the HUGEST forelocks I've ever seen. At any rate, I am growing out my mares mane so that I can harvest some of it when long enough so she can have a "false forelock" or special occasions, such as parades :) Also for halloween, My horse and friends horse are going as a Bride and Groom so to be a pretty bride, I think she needs a long mane! I think you have received some good advice here and I doubt anyone is even going to think anything about her forelock.

GraceLikeRain
Jul. 19, 2012, 02:16 PM
If you shave it, it may never grow back. Just leave it unbraided.

Really?

I understand that some times hair does not grow back after it has been removed from the root (e.g. a bad eyebrow wax permanently damaging hair growth) but I've never heard that cutting hair can cause it to not grow back. Would it just stay buzzed forever?

I've been roaching my mares mane for years and years and it certainly grows back. Same with all of the polo ponies I've known over the years.

Heinz 57: Personally I would roach it off but I also think that smoothing it forward with a bit of hair gel would also look fine.

SmartAlex
Jul. 19, 2012, 03:11 PM
It will grow back.

I might shave the lower part (that looks like it grows up). That will allow the upper part, that grows down, to lie flatter.