PDA

View Full Version : Skull caps VS Helmets?

KateMcCall
Jul. 17, 2012, 03:49 PM
Sorry if this is a silly question!
Just wanted some opinions on the matter.
I have never worn a skull cap but I feel like I would like them for schooling as well as shows.

Are skull caps any more safe than helmets?

My last helmet I owned was a tipperary sport and I fell face forward and hit the brim. It caused a crack through the top of the helmet, and is no longer wearable.

But, I am curious if it is better price wise to go with a helmet because it is acceptable for all three phases? (or is using a skullcap/cover w/ brim ok for SJ/dressage?) :confused:

yellowbritches
Jul. 17, 2012, 03:56 PM
Well, they're all helmets ;)

In the old days, when approved helmets came first came out, the fixed brims could seriously injure a rider if they landed face first (have heard basal skull fractures, etc). So, a lot of riders opted for skull caps with covers.

Nowadays, the brims are far more flexible and have a different profile and helmets fit better and aren't as bulky. LOTS of improvements.

I like my skull cap. It is my most comfortable helmet. I also just like the "cool" eventer look with my custom silk cover. But, I also love the way my GR8 fits, and find my every day helmet (an IRH Extreme or something), comfy and lightweight. I'll just xc fences in any of them, though, at events, I use the skull cap.

And, yes, a solid black or navy cover is 100% acceptable on your skull cap for dressage and show jumping.

Heinz 57
Jul. 17, 2012, 03:57 PM
Sorry if this is a silly question!
Just wanted some opinions on the matter.
I have never worn a skull cap but I feel like I would like them for schooling as well as shows.

Are skull caps any more safe than helmets?

My last helmet I owned was a tipperary sport and I fell face forward and hit the brim. It caused a crack through the top of the helmet, and is no longer wearable.

But, I am curious if it is better price wise to go with a helmet because it is acceptable for all three phases? (or is using a skullcap/cover w/ brim ok for SJ/dressage?) :confused:

Skullcaps are OK for all phases, black (or navy?) cover for dressage.

As to the safety, I can't spout off studies and facts for you, but in general the skull caps seem to come down farther at the back and, overall, seem to at least "feel" safer to me, though they are all subject to the same testing standard requirements. I like mine, personally, for the way it fits/sits on my head and doesn't wobble around like many others.

What they *aren't*, is very breathable.

KateMcCall
Jul. 17, 2012, 04:11 PM
Ahhhh yes! okay I'm so happy they work for all phases! I am 100% going the skullcap route!!

Thanks you two! :D

I will probaby buy both the black cover for SJ/dressage and a custom colored one for x-c.

Any suggestions on brands? I was thinking of just getting this one
http://www.doversaddlery.com/charles-owen-pro-ii-skull-cap/p/X1-3676/#ProductTabs

Heinz 57
Jul. 17, 2012, 04:16 PM
I think that's the one I have (can never remember if it's the Pro II or the J3). It came with a black cover, and I've honestly never ordered another "fancy" one in my colors. :lol: But, then again, I tend to just wear whatever t-shirt is clean that week, and if I had real "colors", I'd have to have an "outfit" to go with. ;)

KateMcCall
Jul. 17, 2012, 04:19 PM
I think that's the one I have (can never remember if it's the Pro II or the J3). It came with a black cover, and I've honestly never ordered another "fancy" one in my colors. :lol: But, then again, I tend to just wear whatever t-shirt is clean that week, and if I had real "colors", I'd have to have an "outfit" to go with. ;)

Haha, I'm with you on the T-shirt thing! I generally just wear white/black polo and then whatever under armor I have (I like the cool feel and it also protects my arms from grass burn, if I fall)

But I like my horse's boots, helmet and saddle pad to be a fancy color :lol:

bambam
Jul. 17, 2012, 05:01 PM
Could not tell if you said you might "just" try that one because you have tried it or for another reason - just wanted to point out that the way the CO helmets fit varies a lot. I have put on CO skull caps that fit and ones that made my head feel like it was going to split in half- if you know what type of helmet shape fits you, I suggest you look at the descriptions and/or call customer service before ordering since the product descriptions should say whether the fit is oval or round, etc (Smartpak descriptions definitely include these).

As to your original question, one is not more safe than the other as long as they fit well. I use a skull cap for all 3 phases usually and just switch covers for xc. The only times I don't are when it is super hot and I am not xc jumping, when I use my ugly but very vented Tipperary Sportage since even the vented skull caps don't breathe all that well.

vineyridge
Jul. 17, 2012, 05:39 PM
Some Brits seem to think that skull caps are safer than helmets with brims. They overwhelming ride in skull caps and if there is a brim, it's tilted up so it can't change the angle of impact.

Heinz 57
Jul. 17, 2012, 05:57 PM
Haha, I'm with you on the T-shirt thing! I generally just wear white/black polo and then whatever under armor I have (I like the cool feel and it also protects my arms from grass burn, if I fall)

But I like my horse's boots, helmet and saddle pad to be a fancy color :lol:

I think black is a good color. In fact, my vest is navy (a color I'm fond of), but I do kind of wish it was black.

As of late, my favorite XC shirt has been a heather grey Jack Daniels shirt (complete with big logo across the chest) that a friend of mine picked up while working a promo event for JD. :lol: and I don't even drink whiskey.

KateMcCall
Jul. 17, 2012, 06:45 PM
Could not tell if you said you might "just" try that one because you have tried it or for another reason - just wanted to point out that the way the CO helmets fit varies a lot. I have put on CO skull caps that fit and ones that made my head feel like it was going to split in half- if you know what type of helmet shape fits you, I suggest you look at the descriptions and/or call customer service before ordering since the product descriptions should say whether the fit is oval or round, etc (Smartpak descriptions definitely include these).

A friend of mine has a CO helmet that fits me... maybe I could use the same measurements?
I will call customer service and make sure I have the right size before I buy :yes: thanks for the tip! :D

KateMcCall
Jul. 17, 2012, 06:49 PM
I think black is a good color. In fact, my vest is navy (a color I'm fond of), but I do kind of wish it was black.

As of late, my favorite XC shirt has been a heather grey Jack Daniels shirt (complete with big logo across the chest) that a friend of mine picked up while working a promo event for JD. :lol: and I don't even drink whiskey.

I like black as well.. it seems to fit pretty much any horse color.
My previous horse was true black so i have all red boots, saddle pad, etc, and it looked really good but I sold him and am now riding his younger brother who is brown. so I may or may not switch to royal blue or have both blue and red /sigh. Its a dilemma!