PDA

View Full Version : 1936 Olympic XC video

jlphilli
Jul. 17, 2012, 03:23 PM
Crossing over from HJ land! Just saw this on Youtube and thought I would share...pretty neat!

1936 Olympic Cross country footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFd2Nd3Lceg&feature=g-vrec

KateMcCall
Jul. 17, 2012, 03:46 PM
Love it! Thanks for sharing!

nextyear
Jul. 17, 2012, 03:51 PM
It is great, I have the DVD of it, was a x/mas present, if you have a chance to see the whole thing not many horses made it through the water complex without a fall.

jlphilli
Jul. 17, 2012, 04:13 PM
Oh yeah, I just found that--here's the part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkWhuPa4V5o&feature=relmfu

Seems like the water was really deep back then!

Dewey
Jul. 17, 2012, 04:41 PM
Wow, I had now idea that footage existed! Thanks for posting. I watched both parts with great interest. That water was way too deep! Even the riders who approached it cautiously fell off. Had to love the rider who fell off, tried to pull his horse to come after him (the horse refused), and, when the bridle came off, left the water in disgust while his horse continued to stand there.:eek:

And then one guy fell off in the water and went for his hat instead of his horse. The horse trotted off without him. :lol:

Gotta admire those guys for being the pioneers.

PrinceSheik325
Jul. 17, 2012, 05:27 PM
Oh yeah, I just found that--here's the part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkWhuPa4V5o&feature=relmfu

Seems like the water was really deep back then!

Holy cow! That water is incredibly deep!!

archieflies
Jul. 17, 2012, 10:10 PM
It's interesting to watch any footage from those Olympics, considering all that was going on in the world at the time. I'd be interested to know who produced the video-- was it for American cinema? I'd assume so. It's interesting what they chose to show of the different horses from different countries, though. On the German horses, they showed longer footage of galloping up and looking all majestic, whereas some countries it was just a quick clip of a fall. Makes me wonder if the Germans produced it? :)

ReSomething
Jul. 17, 2012, 10:21 PM
What I remember about this is that the Germans (Nazi regime) had set up that water jump so that one side was much deeper and they were aware of it. The water jump was presented to the other teams filled with water and they used the fastest line which took them through the deepest portion. At least one of those falls in the water the horse was mortally injured and I can't remember,(we discussed it at length in a thread a long time ago), if one of the riders wasn't seriously injured as well. It was considered most unsporting to put it mildly that the water was unequal like that.
Yes I think it was determined back in that thread that the film was taken by the German film board, not by the infamous Leni Reifenstahl but potentially to be used by her in propaganda films.

This was also discussed in May. http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=351964

archieflies
Jul. 17, 2012, 10:42 PM
That's what I noticed... fir the German riders and even the Italian, the horses' bellies didn't even touch the water... except for the one that fell, got rolled over, and finished with a broken collar bone...

Highflyer
Jul. 17, 2012, 11:04 PM
I'll be schooling my horse down this one tomorrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-qgFf9jQNY&feature=relmfu

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Jul. 17, 2012, 11:41 PM
Cool to see D'Endrody go! Who was the American Thompson?

And this, children, is why we put on our boots or pull off our shoes and walk through the water! To protect ourselves from the Nazis...

Jumpthemoon16
Jul. 18, 2012, 12:52 AM
It's interesting to watch any footage from those Olympics, considering all that was going on in the world at the time. I'd be interested to know who produced the video-- was it for American cinema? I'd assume so. It's interesting what they chose to show of the different horses from different countries, though. On the German horses, they showed longer footage of galloping up and looking all majestic, whereas some countries it was just a quick clip of a fall. Makes me wonder if the Germans produced it? :)

THe description says that it's a Leni Riefenstahl film, which makes sense about the German "majesty" portrayed. For those who don't know, she was one of the top Nazi propagandists during this era, but also an innovative female filmmaker who deserves credit for the cutting-edge techniques she developed... while making Nazi propaganda films...

And yes, this is a VERY interesting Olympics to me... the pots were boiling..

Weatherford
Jul. 19, 2012, 11:20 AM
Thompson was US Army Cavalry and would up with Silver or Bronze, I do believe.

If you think that water was deep, we need to find the footage from mexico City in 1968, when the water turned into a flood and floated horses and riders away!!! (Jimmy or Denny - do either of you have footage?)

Highflyer
Jul. 19, 2012, 06:54 PM
Cool to see D'Endrody go! Who was the American Thompson?

And this, children, is why we put on our boots or pull off our shoes and walk through the water! To protect ourselves from the Nazis...

He was riding Jenny Camp! (We have a local HT named for her.)

Wellspotted
Jul. 19, 2012, 07:23 PM
Great footage! Thanks for posting these.

It says better than words why I liked cross country when I was young (a little more recent than 1936!) and why I don't care for it as much now. The fences in these clips look a lot more realistic, a lot more like obstacles you might actually meet on a cross-country gallop carrying dispatches or just going across country. Everything now is so contrived, so trappy. And as for modern-day "questions"?--these asked a lot more!

That water jump -- wow!. Too bad they didn't have today's quicker-drying breeches and shirts back in '36. ;)

ReSomething
Jul. 20, 2012, 04:20 AM
Would you believe THREE horses died during this competition?. Pages 18 and 19. http://www.la84foundation.org/6oic/OfficialReports/1936/1936spart5.pdf

Enormous changes over the years.