PDA

View Full Version : Can you buy a butt bar to fit trailer for when you take out divider?

TrotTrotPumpkn
Jul. 17, 2012, 12:51 PM
I'm talking after-market. I found a screaming deal on a local trailer and had to buy it ;) It is a 1998 Turnbow two horse straight load, but the divider is removable, and I would like to take it out to give my horse more room. However, then I can't attach the butt bar and the door latches are not heavy duty enough, imo, to not have a butt bar.

Any ideas on where I can order a custom butt bar?

WoofNWhinny*
Jul. 17, 2012, 12:55 PM
Traveled Lane Trailers in MD will make one for you and ship it out.

GoForAGallop
Jul. 17, 2012, 12:58 PM
Any local metal fabrication place can do it, no problem, and it will be MUCH cheaper than going through a "horse specific" maker, as most things are. ;)

You'll get a truly custom fit from people who can actually see/touch/measure the trailer.

I know my guys actually enjoy when I bring my trailer in, for a change of pace. But then they make cranes, so fixing a latch on a horse trailer is no big deal. :lol:

goodhors
Jul. 17, 2012, 02:00 PM
I agree, go to a local welding or fabrication shop to make a butt bar. I would suggest getting a thicker pipe for that use, at least 3" pipe, bigger is better. More comfortable to horse, stronger.

A second suggestion for a butt bar, is to put a piece of wood inside the pipe for strength, before welding the ends on. You could trim down a 2x4 and have them just hammer it into the pipe for "snug fit" inside. Not doing fine furniture, so the almost-fits, is just fine. You are just adding strength to the pipe, not allowing a bend with wood inside, by not having any place for "folding" the pipe with a horse sitting on it.

We made our one-piece butt bar to fit the pin brackets on each side of trailer, just drop pins in to latch the bar solid. Make sure those pin brackets are solidly anchored in the walls. May want to add bigger, THICK washers under the bolt heads or nuts outside, to prevent any chance of pulling them thru the walls. I am suggesting this because I have SEEN this damage on trailers without the big washers. Maybe horse was sitting on it, maybe horse put force on the bar from poor driving, but the nuts ripped on thru the trailer wall. Big washers would have prevented the problem.

Laurierace
Jul. 17, 2012, 02:13 PM
My BO welded me one so I could ship my yearling in a box stall to shows where I didn't pay for a stall. It looks kind of redneck because I padded it with a pool noodle but it does the trick!

Mali
Jul. 17, 2012, 09:22 PM
My BO welded me one so I could ship my yearling in a box stall to shows where I didn't pay for a stall. It looks kind of redneck because I padded it with a pool noodle but it does the trick!

LOL - how timely, I just added some additional padding to my butt/chest bars this evening via a nice thick pink pool noodle! Then I made nice covers for them out of a co-ordinating vinyl tablecloth! I feel so fancy :D I need top pick up some shoe strings tomorrow to lace the covers closed...don't have any "used" ones lying around the house at the moment.

Laurierace
Jul. 17, 2012, 09:28 PM
That is fancy! I used hot pink duct tape to secure mine.

msj
Jul. 18, 2012, 09:16 AM
I need top pick up some shoe strings tomorrow to lace the covers closed...don't have any "used" ones lying around the house at the moment.

Can you use some of the lovely colored baling twine to lace the cover closed? I've got some lovely blue twine that I braid about a dozen strands to make a great pull rope for my hot pink muck basket. :D

TrotTrotPumpkn
Jul. 18, 2012, 11:17 AM
I think these DIY covers deserve to immortalized in photos and shared with all. They sound "interesting" lol!

p.s. I deleted some messages for those who tried to PM me.

rocky213
Jul. 18, 2012, 11:44 AM
I agree, I want to the tablecloth now fancy butt bar cover !!

kcmel
Jul. 18, 2012, 11:48 AM
LOL - how timely, I just added some additional padding to my butt/chest bars this evening via a nice thick pink pool noodle! Then I made nice covers for them out of a co-ordinating vinyl tablecloth! I feel so fancy :D I need top pick up some shoe strings tomorrow to lace the covers closed...don't have any "used" ones lying around the house at the moment.

OMG, I also tried a pool noodle to pad a butt bar! I thought I was being so clever and original. Didn't work for me though, cause it was so comfy he just wanted to lean on it:lol:.

Mali
Jul. 18, 2012, 01:18 PM
Can you use some of the lovely colored baling twine to lace the cover closed? I've got some lovely blue twine that I braid about a dozen strands to make a great pull rope for my hot pink muck basket. :D

I had a lightbulb moment this mornng, and just used cable ties to run thru the opening I made for the "string". I need to make a run to the store and buy some longer ones though - hubby caught me stealing his from his garage! He's since confiscated the ones I took from him :lol:

Mali
Jul. 18, 2012, 01:24 PM

I had a lightbulb moment this mornng, and just used cable ties to run thru the opening I made for the "string". I need to make a run to the store and buy some longer ones though - hubby caught me stealing his from his garage! He's since confiscated the ones I took from him :lol:

Mali
Jul. 18, 2012, 06:51 PM
I think these DIY covers deserve to immortalized in photos and shared with all. They sound "interesting" lol!

p.s. I deleted some messages for those who tried to PM me.

http://pets.webshots.com/album/583132895DeFRky

I originally purchased a striped tablecloth...thought I'd jazz up things, but then I realized I would have to match up the stripes and that just seemed like too much work ;) I opted for a coordinating colored tablecloth instead.