PDA

View Full Version : Just mowed, when is it safe to graze?

MKW
Jul. 17, 2012, 12:40 PM
Having a couple of areas of our small farm mowed today as the grass was getting out of control. How long should I wait before the horses can go back out to graze on these areas? I live in the Pacific Northwest, so we might have some rain but at this time of year it should not be much.

TIA! :)

jherold
Jul. 17, 2012, 01:57 PM
Mine were out in the pasture while it was being mowed! I've never had a problem.

UrbanHennery
Jul. 17, 2012, 02:59 PM
Mine follows me around while I mow with the Kubota. You should be able to turn back out anytime unless you cut it exceptionally short.

Win1
Jul. 17, 2012, 03:39 PM
Depends how much you are cutting and the weather if it dries before it gets nasty. You don't want them eating a bunch of moldy/festering grass.

omare
Jul. 17, 2012, 03:42 PM
We have the same discussion in our house but I have noticed ours only eat the (live) grass and not the clippings.

candyappy
Jul. 17, 2012, 03:52 PM
If you are pulling a " bush hog" type mower behind the tractor, then we never even took the horses off that pasture. It is not like lawn mower clippings because it does not chop it up and therefore it just dries like hay would and doesn't get hot and ferment.

oldpony66
Jul. 17, 2012, 07:10 PM
Depends also on what you're mowing. If it's mostly/all grass and nothing questionable, I'd let them go right back out on it.
If there's weeds, I like to let it sit a few days to let the clippings drop down and get really dry. Once my son was weed-eating around just the fence posts and must have chopped up something the horses wouldn't normally eat... one of them came in the next day covered in huge hives and breathing funny. Maybe it wasn't due to the clippings but just to be safe if it's weedy I like to let it sit a few days.

SanJacMonument
Jul. 17, 2012, 08:53 PM
We usually wait a half day for the clippings to dry but Houston is very humid and our barn fertilizes our paddocks so they are very lush and thick - especially this year with all the extra rain.

BellaLuna
Jul. 18, 2012, 07:48 AM
I was taught to wait 2 days. That's what I do and it's worked for me.

WBLover
Jul. 18, 2012, 09:55 AM
I usually wait a couple of days if the grass was really thick and "juicy" when I cut it. Usually that's just spring. But this time of year it's drier, and they stay on it the whole time.

trubandloki
Jul. 18, 2012, 10:09 AM
I think it depends on how much grass you are cutting. How out of control is it? Are you cutting very dense tall grass that is going to leave a mat of clipping or just a reasonable amount of grass that yes there will be clippings but not an overwhelming amount of them?

MKW
Jul. 18, 2012, 11:26 AM
It was pretty long dense grass. Just walked out there this morning and it looks a bit like a hay field. The cut grass was dry on top but damp underneath. I think I had better leave them off until everything is dry but not so long that the grass is starting to grow through the clippings? Does that make sense?

SuckerForHorses
Jul. 18, 2012, 12:21 PM
Honestly, they probably won't even pay attention to the longer stuff that just got cut...now because its been cut, they have better access to the shorter good stuff below it. When we do this, the horses nose through the cut stuff, and eat the live shorter pieces from below.