PDA

View Full Version : Kinda random...saddle pad shrinkage

runNjump86
Jul. 16, 2012, 09:22 PM
I'm on the hunt for a new (or new to me) saddle pad to use for schooling. I lucked out and found a Cottage Craft A/P pad for $10 at a local swap meet, but it's the only schooling pad I have, and it gets used daily. Now that I'm riding two horses a day that need that pad, I'm definitely wanting to get another for cleanliness reasons.

I measured the current pad I have, and it's at about 19" across the spine with an 18" drop. I haven't found another pad with those dimensions, so I'm thinking that it used to be a 20x22 that shrank. Has anyone had a pad shrink like this? It's definitely been used...its not black anymore, more of a charcoal grey:lol: with white piping, and has been washed plenty of times just since I got it.

What say you, oh wise COTHers?

Lunatteo
Jul. 17, 2012, 12:36 AM
Our pads at school are all horribly shrunken! >.<

I bring my own now and again because I want the spine length to actually be covered and with my dressage saddle and the therapeutic pads? No such luck except on two of the newer school pads. It's actually annoying because we get chastised for it by one instructor and I can't help but get annoyed for the other students because its not like the choice is very high.

The only longer (wider?) ones are all ratty and look like they've gotten chewed on by terriers. Well, or the baby pads which don't go down far enough and then they get reproached for that instead.

skippy60
Jul. 17, 2012, 01:49 AM
Hey i see that you are in SD... you could check out the used tack stores in the area, because ive had a lot of luck there. Check Bits Equestrian Outlet in Del Mar and Saddle Up Tack in Poway. There pretty good there... you can also try SD Saddlery, but i dont know where it is. Im pretty sure its in El Cajon.

CobJockey
Jul. 17, 2012, 12:21 PM
As the owner of a postage stamp-sized 16" saddle, I'm a happy beneficiary of several shrunken saddle pads. :) Definitely possible.

furlong47
Jul. 17, 2012, 12:59 PM
Yes, I put mine through the washer and dryer and some of them have definitely shrunk.

vxf111
Jul. 17, 2012, 01:02 PM
Every cheapo $9.99 special pad I've ever bought from Dover has promptly shrunk to pony size. My JPC pads shrink too but they start off bigger and fit nicely once shrunk. My PRI pads don't shrink. I think in general the higher quality/nicer pads are more preshrunk.

I can't imagine getting by one a single pad. You can find el chepo ones for $10-20, I'd invest in a handful so you don't have to keep washing/drying the one over and over and over again. That's going to certainly increase any wear and shrinkage.

Highflyer
Jul. 17, 2012, 06:31 PM
IME they all shrink if you put them in the dryer or wash them in very hot water. The cheaper they are the more/ faster they shrink.

kkindley
Jul. 17, 2012, 10:03 PM
One saddle pad, wish I had your problem. And I just bid on a really cute one today on ebay. red, with rocket ships. See horsey's name below... FWIW, my friend enabled me, I really didn't look, she told me about it...

no dryer for pads. Good ole sunshine and a breeze. Oh, and hang them upside down, so when you leave them out for a week, it's the underside that's bleached, not the top. :D And you can get away with washing them less if you hose them off after rides.

mojo7777
Jul. 18, 2012, 11:28 AM
I'm waiting for my new Seams Right pad to arrive today. Have ordered my last Dover 9.99 pad because they shrink.

runNjump86
Jul. 18, 2012, 02:23 PM
Yeah, I'm a minimalist. :lol:

I love this pad, and it hasn't continued to shrink. I always wash on cold then line dry. I've been eyeing the Smartpak medium diamond pads. I think they're $14, score!

Anyone know where you can order custom colors for under $100?

Heinz 57
Jul. 18, 2012, 03:13 PM

I'll say! I had to re-read, because I couldn't believe anyone would really only have ONE daily use pad. I think I probably have at least 10-15...from purpose-bought schooling pads to show pads that got demoted for being too dingy/stained. :lol:

vxf111
Jul. 18, 2012, 03:27 PM

I love this pad, and it hasn't continued to shrink. I always wash on cold then line dry. I've been eyeing the Smartpak medium diamond pads. I think they're $14, score!

Anyone know where you can order custom colors for under $100?

PRI has every color combo known to man. So no extractly "custom" but surely they have your combo unless it's very kooky? Their pads retail for about $40.