PDA

View Full Version : need advice for stump removal without a stump grinder

Chachie
Jul. 16, 2012, 02:31 PM
So my little paddock is cleared, almost. We now have to remove the stumps of the smaller trees we cut down. I can't afford a stump grinder rental so I'm looking for some cheap easy quick DIY solutions to get these stumps out. These stumps are from sumac trees so we ideally would like to kill the roots too so they don't sprout up somewhere else. We also have those obnoxious stumps from the sticker bushes too.
Anyone have any suggestions on how to do this cheaply? My boys will be turned out in here plus I will use this area to school in as well so I must get these stumps down out of the way.

walknsound
Jul. 16, 2012, 02:39 PM
We burned them. Some were pretty big, they burned a week. I tried to find something horse safe that would make them disinegrate, but no luck with that.

Chachie
Jul. 16, 2012, 02:58 PM
Yeah that's what I think I will have to do. We used to douse them with gas and burn them down. I was hoping someone had come up with something better over the years but I guess thats what I will have to do.

leaf
Jul. 16, 2012, 03:02 PM
A tractor and a stump puller? Could work on smaller trees, would pull out most roots too. Hook to the front of your tractor, I believe, instead of the back ( so you don't flip the tractor ). Or a pick-up truck to pull ? The stump puller is a clamp affair that clamps tighter as you pull.

hosspuller
Jul. 16, 2012, 05:00 PM
A tractor and a stump puller? Could work on smaller trees, would pull out most roots too. Hook to the front of your tractor, I believe, instead of the back ( so you don't flip the tractor ).

Hooking to the draw bar of the tractor is the safest method. Hooking to something on the front will bend or break "something".

The draw bar is below the axle of the tractor to prevent "flipping"

rabicon
Jul. 16, 2012, 05:02 PM
Or use a big truck or a four wheeler if they are really small and yank them

wsmoak
Jul. 16, 2012, 05:30 PM
How big are the stumps? Do you have a tractor?

For big ones, you'll probably have to burn them out. Those take Really Big Equipment to deal with, and the operators of said equipment like to get the stump at the same time as the tree by digging around it and pushing it over so the root ball pops out as the tree falls. (They also like you to write them four-figure checks to do this repeatedly over several days, ask me how I know!)

For medium sized ones, you might be able to dig around the stump with a pickaxe and pop the small roots, then use a sharp axe or maul on the major roots. Then see if you can get a chain wrapped under and around it in such a way that you can pull it out.

We have a tool called a 'grubber' that works (with a tractor) on small to medium sized stuff: http://www.brushgrubber.com/products.html . To use this, the stump has to be about knee high, or you have to position it just so to keep it from popping off before the root comes out.

This is *hard* work. I don't envy you, particularly not in JULY. Sure you don't want to wait until fall?

If you can get the stumps out you'll be in a much better situation going forward than with grinding or burning them. That will leave a big chunk underground that will eventually rot and collapse in, leaving you a hole to fill.

suz
Jul. 16, 2012, 07:46 PM
pigs and goats and time will do the trick.
spread corn around the stumps to get the pigs started rooting there.
they'll uproot stumps very quickly and the goats will eat the pricker bushes until they are gone. together they'll add lots of manure to the soil.

Guilherme
Jul. 16, 2012, 11:15 PM
When in doubt...C-4. :lol:

But, if you want to avoid ATF involvement and have some time, you can try a method we've used a few times.

Take a chainsaw and cut off about a 1-2" slab from the stump. Then put it back on top and use one nail to hold it in place. Then wait about two years. The stump will rot very nicely and all you need do is push it over with a blade or an FEL.

It's not quick, but it is cheap. :)

G.

springer
Jul. 17, 2012, 12:51 AM
A 3/4 ton pick up truck and a chain (redneck stump removal method :D ) In spring when the ground is a bit wet is best-

suz
Jul. 17, 2012, 04:29 PM
A 3/4 ton pick up truck and a chain (redneck stump removal method :D ) In spring when the ground is a bit wet is best-

here, hold my beer,lol.

wsmoak
Jul. 17, 2012, 07:48 PM
Take a chainsaw and cut off about a 1-2" slab from the stump. Then put it back on top and use one nail to hold it in place. Then wait about two years. The stump will rot very nicely

How does this work? (What's the significance of putting the slab back on top of the stump?)

KBC
Jul. 17, 2012, 07:52 PM
When in doubt...C-4. :lol:

:yes::yes: sounds like a great plan

Jim_in_PA
Jul. 17, 2012, 08:45 PM
I generally pull them out with the backhoe on my Kubota subcompact tractor...

jcotton
Jul. 18, 2012, 04:38 PM
Go to Home Depot, Lowes or feed store, get Stump Remover. Spectricide makes it.
The directions on the Stump Remover is to drill at least 2 holes at opposing 45 degree angle with a 3/4-1" bit. fill the holes with Stump Remover granules, fill the holes with water to dissolve.
I am using this Stump Remover on a hackberry multi-trunk stump. Hackberry trees are shallow rooted and trash trees, sending up suckers as soon as they fall down or get chopped down.

Jim_in_PA
Jul. 19, 2012, 10:25 AM
jcotton, how long does the Stump Remover you reference take to do the deed?

Snowflake
Jul. 19, 2012, 11:57 AM
jcotton, how long does the Stump Remover you reference take to do the deed?

Yes, I would like to know this to - though I got a quote for a guy to come out with the stump grinder and get all 7 stumps on my property for $115.

Nlevie
Jul. 19, 2012, 12:51 PM
Wow - that sounds like a good deal. We got an estimate last fall for 7 or 8 pine tress that died and they wanted $100 per tree PLUS $75 per stump. . . Needless to say we ended up cutting them down & burning them ourselves last winter, but still have the stumps to deal with ? I would jump on getting rid of them for that.

spacytracy
Jul. 19, 2012, 04:59 PM
We've used the chemical before that kills the tree. I'm guessing it's the stuff referenced above.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Jul. 19, 2012, 05:00 PM
Yes, I would like to know this to - though I got a quote for a guy to come out with the stump grinder and get all 7 stumps on my property for $115.

It would probably cost that much for one stump in town here. ;)

jcotton
Jul. 19, 2012, 07:44 PM
Just started on this particular multi-trunk hackberry.
I cut the tree down early this spring when we had a good storm split the multiple trunks.
I don't think this is the fastest method but if the wood gets rotten enough, the fire ants will do their part!
I'll keep you posted.

Chall
Dec. 16, 2012, 05:16 AM
Reported, don't click on the link.