PDA

View Full Version : BN Combinations

Cameraine
Jul. 16, 2012, 02:23 PM
How many of you have seen a triple combination in the stadium portion of Beginner Novice division of UR and R horse trials that you've been to?

The reason I ask is we got presented with one at a very low level schooling trial where we were going beginner novice. I looked up the R rules and it said a double with no less than two strides was legal.

Just wondering if anyone else had been presented with this at a R or UR horse trial.

yellowbritches
Jul. 16, 2012, 02:25 PM
Never. A lot of UR around here don't even but combos in, and even a few R don't.

I've had one triple at NOVICE at a UR. Thankfully my horse was about ready for training and had jumped through a million gymnastics, so was unbothered.

JFCeventer
Jul. 16, 2012, 02:46 PM
Ditto on the never. But if its unrecognized, they can pretty much do whatever they want. It certainly is not appropriate for BN, recognized or not. I went to a recognized horse trial yesterday. Training had a triple, one stride to one stride, Novice had a one stride double, and they took the combination out entirely for Beginner Novice. You really aren't supposed to see triples of any kind until Training, and even then, they are supposed to be relatively straightforward.

Hilary
Jul. 16, 2012, 03:01 PM
Never - they are not allowed at recognized events. A one-stride double is not allowed (2 strides is OK, 3 is another no no as separately number obstables but that's another kettle of fish). But that's the risk you run at an unrecognized event.

ACMEeventing
Jul. 16, 2012, 04:44 PM
OP, please clarify. When you say it was a triple was it numbered a,b,c? Or was it sequential (as in 4,5,6) but close together?

Mtn trails
Jul. 16, 2012, 04:54 PM
I seem to remember last year at an R event that there was a 2 stride double in BN, never a triple though.

Janet
Jul. 17, 2012, 01:07 PM
I seem to remember last year at an R event that there was a 2 stride double in BN, never a triple though.
A 2 stride double is legal at BN. But a triple is not legal until Training.

Heliodoro
Jul. 17, 2012, 01:26 PM
A 2 stride double is legal at BN. But a triple is not legal until Training.

Even on xc? I just ran a rec N xc with an a,b,c jump last month, thought it was odd. Horse did fine as the striding in between was generous.

Janet
Jul. 17, 2012, 01:38 PM
Even on xc? I just ran a rec N xc with an a,b,c jump last month, thought it was odd. Horse did fine as the striding in between was generous.
I was referring to Show Jumping.

For Novice cross country, there is no restriction against a,b,c.

Cameraine
Jul. 17, 2012, 02:42 PM
It was a PC schooling trial. And yes it was a true triple numbered A, B and C. If I remember correctly it was a two stride from A to B and a one stride from B to C. And there was a double on course that was maybe a two stride. I didn't do either combination in the manner it was asked, we circled between elements so my horse wouldn't have a stroke.

Mind you they they took the C element out for the next level below us which was the 2ft division. Still it was a little ridiculous considering the event flier clearly stated this was for horses who had no or little experience at the BN level. I saw it when I was learning the course and went WTF? Really?

The only double I remember seeing in a BN level was at Kelly's Ford and it was definitely a two stride. On the other hand I did see a pony rider actually ride that triple through and only felt a little wus like for circling my horse.

Hilary
Jul. 17, 2012, 04:48 PM
Well the difficulty lies more for the horse than the rider for the BN situation.

The green horse will struggle with being able to adjust his canter stride and the 'sea of rails', even with an experienced rider to help.

A seasoned competitor (ie, kids horse) will roll his eyes and tell the kid to hang on, he's done it a million and 2 times.