PDA

View Full Version : another OTTB eventer to be

kinscem
Jul. 16, 2012, 11:55 AM
Hi guys, looking for some input on this horse pedigree please.
http://www.pedigreequery.com/walter+and+neal

I like the confo and racing results and especially the racing longevity of his ancestors over all but what else can you point out?
I like his name too but know nothing about his breeder/trainer combo whom he is named after.

Thank you.

judybigredpony
Jul. 16, 2012, 12:09 PM
He ran 2X's ??? Got any pictures??

kinscem
Jul. 16, 2012, 12:14 PM
No I don't have any pics, I have asked the seller for some and still waiting...
He run 2x in Maiden races finished 8th and 4th; comment: "tired" in both races.

Waiting to hear from his seller, he is supposedly a flashy Chestnut, 15.3, with bowed tendon :(

kinscem
Jul. 16, 2012, 12:33 PM
Have a picture now:

http://www.styxpix.com/Horses/Walter-and-Neal/24201818_tNWwk7#!i=1968608125&k=9VGb66Q

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 16, 2012, 12:42 PM
Have a picture now:

http://www.styxpix.com/Horses/Walter-and-Neal/24201818_tNWwk7#!i=1968608125&k=9VGb66Q

he is flashy...really cute face...pretty ugly looking bow. Is it pretty fresh?

kinscem
Jul. 16, 2012, 01:04 PM
They say the bow is 5 months old :(
I've added more photos as the seller has been sending more...

But anybody thinks anything about his pedigree?

I have had good results with bowed tendons in the past...

brightskyfarm
Jul. 16, 2012, 01:39 PM
Ask the sellers for the ultrasounds. If there are none...well........ that kinda says it all.

Your time frame for *dealing* with a bow is kinda long past --- the first 24hrs are crucial -- to have shoes pulled, trimmed accordingly, and an ice therapy along with ultrasounds to determine exactly what is diagnosis and treatment.

If you are looking for an eventer -- Id pass. Plenty of sound horses to be considered.

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 16, 2012, 03:14 PM
They say the bow is 5 months old :(
I've added more photos as the seller has been sending more...

But anybody thinks anything about his pedigree?

I have had good results with bowed tendons in the past...

I've know several UL eventers with bows ugly looking like that...but of course a risk.

I liked his pedigree. Wild Zone was a beautiful animal and I heard of a few of his offspring doing well as sport horses. I don't know his damline as well.

NeverTime
Jul. 16, 2012, 03:45 PM
Focusing on pedigree in a (neutered/unbreedable) horse that's wearing a bow like that?! It seems a bit like, "But otherwise Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?"
It doesn't appear that his ancestors passed on their racing longevity if he ran poorly AND bowed after just two outings.
Regardless of your luck with bows in the past (and that's just what it is -- "luck" -- and luck can run out quickly!), I'd pass on this one and find another freebie who isn't sporting that kind of blemish. Or, if you do take him, take him because you want to give a broken horse a good home, not because you are counting on in his pedigree transforming him into an athlete.
This is my just my opinion, as someone else who has had great luck with bows in the past but also understands that what's staring you in the face is a greater predictor of performance that what hypothetically has been passed down through the generations.

judybigredpony
Jul. 16, 2012, 05:24 PM
Sorry to be downer but here goes....he last ran 9/2011 so if he bowed 5 months ago he did it in training not during an all out race effort. You do know he seriously needs 1 full year off for the leg right, not 5 months off then back to work. That is a big bow.
Now his 2 race efforts say tired, I would invest in a wind scope by a good vet who does know what he is looking at. Also its possible he displaces and for that you need a scope before and after exertion which he definately should not do.

I am not against the bow, have a freebie right now with one, but he got 1.5 years off with impeccable care and lots of follow-ups.Has the scans and vet reports to go along supporting a full throttle sports horse career.

You have to ask to see the ultra sounds of which there should be more than 1. Then you have to ask a Good Sports Vet with knowledge to read scan and report. Do Not get sucked in only to find out its a repeat problem
I turned down a lovely well bred well cared for youngster with what @ 1st glance looked to be a minor Bow/tendon . Only to discover upon Vet Scan and reports was the 2nd time and 1st go round had IRAP and all sorts of upscale care only to see it repeat injury and worse. His own Vet was thumbs down.

VicariousRider
Jul. 16, 2012, 05:48 PM
Focusing on pedigree in a (neutered/unbreedable) horse that's wearing a bow like that?! It seems a bit like, "But otherwise Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?"

Just the good belly laugh I needed this evening! Also my sentiments exactly.

I think Judy hit the nail on the head. Go into this one with eyes WIDE open. That is a gnarly bow.

kinscem
Jul. 16, 2012, 05:51 PM
Thanks guys :(

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 16, 2012, 05:55 PM
Just the good belly laugh I needed this evening! Also my sentiments exactly.

I think Judy hit the nail on the head. Go into this one with eyes WIDE open. That is a gnarly bow.

I got a laugh out of that too. I responded earlier just because....sort of like buying a lottery ticket, nice to dream a bit but likely just a piece of paper that cost you a money.

He is a pretty lawn decoration.

columbus
Jul. 16, 2012, 06:09 PM
As to his pedigree...on paper it looks great...many wonderful sport inclined TBs like Habitat, Bold Bidder, Carr de Naskra...but his conformation reflects the few in his pedigree who are less sport type, he is double Northern Dancer and looks it. I think his conformation reflects the non sport type in his pedigree...the sprint type Northern Dancer...butt high roughly muscled sprinter conformation. As to low level eventing...anything can low level event...even a horse with an old bow...if they like to run and jump and do low level dressage. I wouldn't invest in his conformation for a move up candidate or as a resale horse. He is a rescue and maybe he has a great mind to be a do everything buddy but not strictly speaking a training candidate. PatO

superD
Jul. 16, 2012, 06:22 PM
My OTTB has an old low bow. He got no care when it happened just a nice trip to the killers.:mad: A friend of mine paid the meat men and pulled him off the trailer and threw him in a field for 2.5 years.

I bought him off of her and I am starting him eventing. My vet ultra sounded him and said his bow shouldn't be a factor.

It is what it is. If you want to give him a shot then go for it. My boy only raced 5 times losing every time out.

judybigredpony
Jul. 16, 2012, 06:40 PM
SuperD yours also had 2.5 Years Off...

rustbreeches
Jul. 16, 2012, 07:00 PM
The bow would turn me off.

I actually galloped Carrena Rose. Super classy filly when I knew her. Hard to believe that she has "grandchildren".