PDA

View Full Version : Who has fans installed in their trailer. Effective? Worth it? Safe?

vxf111
Jul. 16, 2012, 11:52 AM
I'm new to trailer ownership but I already love my Hawk so much I want to take it home at night and sleep in it ;)

One thing that has been suggested to me as a potential 'add on' are fans for the horses. I have one very large horse who has a propensity to get very hot and very sweaty in the trailer. The way my Hawk is configured, I have two big windows on each side that can drop down to be just grates and allow a lot of air in, and then typical windows with sliding screens alongside the big side windows and also in the tack area. There's also a sliding glas window between the tack room and the horse compartment. What I don't have is the ability to go with the back door partially opened, because I have full back doors with the ramp on top, not the half doors on top, ramp bottom.

I took Big'n'Sweaty for a ride this weekend, just practicing. Granted, Sunday was insanely humid and 93+ degrees. I had all the screens open, but didn't drop down the windows (I am worried about flying debris getting in his eye). He was on board for about 25 minutes max. When I unloaded him he was quite hot.

My plan, for now, is to put a fly mask on him and open the drop down windows. But I'm wondering if fans might be worthwhile? On one hand, I question how much a tiny fan can possibly help. On the other hand, maybe any help is better than none? A local trailer place is doing a discounted install-- $150 for two fans and another $150 for the battery to power them.

Anyone have experiences? Like/hate? Think they work? Think it's worth the money? I am slight scared about the fire hazard/taking up horse headroom (did I mention Big'n'Sweaty is a big boy?). Curious to hear feedback from folks who have fans installed.

Heart's Journey
Jul. 16, 2012, 12:56 PM
I've had fans in all 3 of my trailers as I've always felt it was worth the expense. In 15 years of towing, I have rarely pulled a sweaty or hot horse out of my trailers and I'm in south Fla. I have 2 metal fans installed so they blow across the whole body of the horse and know they really help when you are stopped as well as moving.

They run off the truck battery, so don't know why you would need a separate battery installed.

Ridley
Jul. 16, 2012, 01:52 PM
so, this isn't a permanent or fancy solution, but works pretty well for me. I have a gooseneck with a grate separating the peak from the rest of the truck. I bungee a box fan to the grate and run it off of one of those portable batteries that you can get at AutoZone or some such with an inverter.

I have a Ford F-350 with a separate port for inverters, but was advised that running fans and little things off that would just run down my battery. I could, if I so desired, run an extension cord into that and power the fans with the truck on or off.

cssutton
Jul. 16, 2012, 02:01 PM
I'm new to trailer ownership but I already love my Hawk so much I want to take it home at night and sleep in it ;)

One thing that has been suggested to me as a potential 'add on' are fans for the horses. I have one very large horse who has a propensity to get very hot and very sweaty in the trailer. The way my Hawk is configured, I have two big windows on each side that can drop down to be just grates and allow a lot of air in, and then typical windows with sliding screens alongside the big side windows and also in the tack area. There's also a sliding glas window between the tack room and the horse compartment. What I don't have is the ability to go with the back door partially opened, because I have full back doors with the ramp on top, not the half doors on top, ramp bottom.

I took Big'n'Sweaty for a ride this weekend, just practicing. Granted, Sunday was insanely humid and 93+ degrees. I had all the screens open, but didn't drop down the windows (I am worried about flying debris getting in his eye). He was on board for about 25 minutes max. When I unloaded him he was quite hot.

My plan, for now, is to put a fly mask on him and open the drop down windows. But I'm wondering if fans might be worthwhile? On one hand, I question how much a tiny fan can possibly help. On the other hand, maybe any help is better than none? A local trailer place is doing a discounted install-- $150 for two fans and another $150 for the battery to power them.

Anyone have experiences? Like/hate? Think they work? Think it's worth the money? I am slight scared about the fire hazard/taking up horse headroom (did I mention Big'n'Sweaty is a big boy?). Curious to hear feedback from folks who have fans installed.

I just purchased a trailer owned by a lady who installed fans in every stall.

4H head to head.

I have hauled a horse only once since the purchase, so I am no expert.

However, my trailer has the typical Sundowner vents in the roof, one for each horse.

It has the typical sliding glass windows used by Sundowner and many others who build head to heads.

The idea that those fans can add much to the cooling when the trailer is in motion is ludicrous.

The reason for the extra battery is that these fans will only be of any benefit when the trailer is not in motion for a long period, such as at a horse show when the trailer is used for short term stall.

Or maybe at the end of a warm fall hunt while you have a tailgate.

As I said, I have not had the trailer long enough to have any experience using them, but for example: The one trip I made with a horse was in 90 degree weather, but it was on the interstate where the average speed was 65 miles per hour. No way those fins could increase air movement.

Unless you plan to have your horse in the trailer for long periods when it is not in motion, I would suggest that you save your money.

vxf111
Jul. 16, 2012, 02:22 PM
Should have clarified. My understanding with the battery is that most people who have fans like to use them not only en route but also have the horse stand on the trailer with the fan on between classes etc. I know most places I show have little natural shade. If you want the horse out of the sun, you have to put him on the trailer. So I actually do that a fair amount. I'm just a little incredulous that a small fan could actually cool such a big animal in an appreciable way?

Carolinadreamin'
Jul. 16, 2012, 02:45 PM
We received our new Hawk a couple of months ago (and love it). That fan was one of only 3 add ons that we got. When the trailer arrived and I saw the size of the fan, I thought it looked too small to do anything. But, it has made a huge difference and I'm very glad to have it. Now, if only we had gotten air conditioning for the tiny tack room and area over the truck bed!

cssutton
Jul. 16, 2012, 05:21 PM
Should have clarified. My understanding with the battery is that most people who have fans like to use them not only en route but also have the horse stand on the trailer with the fan on between classes etc. I know most places I show have little natural shade. If you want the horse out of the sun, you have to put him on the trailer. So I actually do that a fair amount. I'm just a little incredulous that a small fan could actually cool such a big animal in an appreciable way?

When you are hot it takes mighty little air movement to make you feel better.

If you show, I think it would help.

That wqith judicious positioning of the trailer so that any breeze can be used to the best advantage.

Mali
Jul. 17, 2012, 06:58 AM
I think a fan would be a lifesaver! If you've ever been sitting at a standstill on the interstate for a few hours....you sure would wish you had a fan back there! How many times do we head out with the horses and pray there's no traffic accident where we get stuck in traffic!

bathsheba8542
Jul. 17, 2012, 07:06 AM
For what it's worth, I purchased a Ryobi fan that runs on lithium batteries. It's not huge, but it moves much more air than I would have expected.

judijetsen
Jul. 17, 2012, 08:05 AM
I have taken 2 trailers to RV shops to have them modified.
I find them to be cheaper than the horse trailer ones.

I say definite yes to fans. You would be surprised at how strong they make small fans.
I also had heat/AC put in dressing rm. along with heavy duty elec. extra lighting and loads of plugs throughout dress rm. and horse area and I plug in extra fans while parked at shows,etc.
I have a small generator that ran them with no problem if plug in was not available.

Jleegriffith
Jul. 17, 2012, 08:18 AM
I love my fans. I have a hawk and it was one of the things that I had added on. They do move quite a bit of air and are great for running in between phases of an event, show, foxhunt or after a trail ride. I use them all the time. Well worth it!

Badger
Jul. 17, 2012, 08:49 AM
Another vote for fans. When hauling in local traffic, on the highway, or when leaving a horse on the trailer at lessons or shows, they are very handy. And if you get stuck in a traffic jam on a hot day: thank your lucky stars you have them.

vxf111
Jul. 17, 2012, 09:21 AM
Does anyone who has fans have a hydraulic lift with battery and if so... Is it tied to that battery or to its own?!

Heart's Journey
Jul. 17, 2012, 12:55 PM
My trailer has a hydraulic lift as well as other LQ amenities, so the fans could be running off the trailer battery or the truck battery.

My first two trailers were BP and only had a brake battery, so the fans were running off the truck battery. I camp and day ride, no showing, so I turn the fans off when I unload. If you did want to leave the horses in the trailer with the fans running at a show, I would advise getting a battery, but keep in mind you have to be able to recharge that battery as well in between uses, so I think you would need a converter. My LQ trailer has a converter, so that's not an issue as plugging it in, recharges the battery.

vxf111
Jul. 17, 2012, 12:59 PM
My trailer battery for the hydraulic hitch ties into the truck batteries, so when I am driving that energy from my truck charges the trailer battery (or so I believe. I'm not a mechanic but starting to think I need to become one as a trailer owner! LOL).

Nipntuck
Jul. 17, 2012, 03:03 PM
For those who have added them aftermarket, where did you get them? Links would be wonderful! How are they powered?

I have a Hawk 2+1 and on a hot day the front horse gets quite hot, even with all vents open and windows down/open. I wish I had a fourth vent a bit further forward. May look into adding one later, or maybe a fan would help that horse.

AKB
Jul. 17, 2012, 03:36 PM
My trailer maintenance shop, Trailer Care, in Hamilton, VA installs a lot of fans. I think any high volume trailer shop should install fans.

vxf111
Jul. 17, 2012, 04:23 PM
DiBella's (Hawk dealer) said they could do two fans in my 2H straight load gooseneck for $150.

potteryshop
Jul. 17, 2012, 07:11 PM
I have used my trailer for over 3 years without ever turning the fans on until this year. I didn't think they would make much difference.
I was wrong.
I used them on a hot ride back from the farrier one day. My horse was quite sweaty when I got to the farrier, but on the way home barely broke a sweat. And the heat had not gotten less.
I am now a fan, no joke intended.

Badger
Jul. 17, 2012, 07:38 PM
As I understand it, my hydraulic jack, dressing room and loading lights, and fans run off the battery. Battery is recharged when truck is running.

reay6790
Jul. 17, 2012, 08:23 PM
I got one in my hawk just because it came with it...it was very handy when I was waiting at stop lights in 100 degree weather! He came out of the 3 hr ride basically sweat free, just some in his shipping boots.

Simbalism
Jul. 18, 2012, 12:06 AM
I mostly only haul my horse, so only had a fan installed on the side she always rides on. I think it does help them stay more comfortable. The fan has just recently pooped out after being in the trailer for years. Need to get it replaced. May go ahead and get a second fan put in as I have been hauling my friends horse quite a bit lately. She has anhydrosis and is also 17h so she has been hauling on the driver's side.

DiablosHalo
Jul. 18, 2012, 12:59 PM
I ordered fans in my new trailer and love them! I only haul a few days/year but it is so nice to have them. I also installed an electrical outlet in my tack room so I can blow my high velocity floor fans if sitting at a show all day (outlets runs of my generator).

Puddin Pie
Jul. 18, 2012, 08:37 PM
I got my fans from Southern Alamance horse trailer in Snow Camp NC and had them installed in my Trail Et. I love them-just have to remember to turn them off when I turn off the truck so as not to run down the battey. They are RV fans. I think the fans were about 40.00 each and then they installed for a fee. A RV place could probably do it.

vxf111
Jul. 18, 2012, 10:29 PM
I'm sold. I'm getting them!! And then I am done pimping my trailer :):):)