PDA

View Full Version : Best SUV to tow with?

GrantanaKC
Jul. 16, 2012, 10:41 AM
Hey all,
It looks like I will be trading in my Subie for an SUV and tag-along. Can you guys give me suggestions for SUV's that could haul 2 large warmbloods in a trailer with a dressing room? I will be looking at getting used car and trailer. While trucks are great, I dont want a truck as my main driving vehicle, so an SUV it is!

TIA

GoForAGallop
Jul. 16, 2012, 10:44 AM
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/search.php?searchid=13121804

There you go. 108 threads, from this board, on towing with an SUV.

If, for some reason, the link doesn't work, type "suv towing" into the search box at the top of this page.

carolprudm
Jul. 16, 2012, 11:03 AM
You can get away with a slightly less monsterous tow vehicle if you are somewhere flat and not to hot or cold but you're pretty much looking a Suburban or used Excursion if you can find one

Jim_in_PA
Jul. 16, 2012, 11:57 AM
Suburban, Tahoe, Excursion. All of these are built on truck frames and can likely haul a 2H-BP with DR with no issues properly equipped.

I'm about to buy a new Grand Cherokee with the V8 and have no concerns about future towing with it for my limited needs which will be for a more basic 2h BP, perhaps slightly stretched rather than a DR. Rated for 7200 lbs with the Class IV hitch with a recommendation of weight distribution setup for over 5000 lbs.

GrantanaKC
Jul. 16, 2012, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the info. I got lazy rather than do a search, but did check out the threads. The Tahoe keeps popping up, and, doing some research, I see that the Tahoe has a hybrid model. Does anyone have any experience with hybrid towing vehicles? Do they tow well, or are they weaker?

cswoodlandfairy
Jul. 16, 2012, 12:35 PM
I recently got an 06 Excursion with the Heavy Duty Package on it. It can tow up to 14,500 lbs. My trailer is an extra tall/wide with a large dressing room. Its a 94' Gore trailer. I've towed my 17H and a 16.2H with no problems and the tack room fully loaded for a 3 day show and the car had no issues. It was a dream to drive, the gas mileage isn't the best....about 11-12 mpg, but it does the job and keeps the SUV factor for dogs, trips, and friends.

Heart's Journey
Jul. 16, 2012, 12:59 PM
I think the request to do a search is because we're all tired of responding to the same question...:). There are many different opinions and you really should read through the threads as there is a lot of info.

also check out www.horsetrailerworld.com - best site for info as there are alot of professional truck drivers on there and I am constantly amazed at the wealth of knowledge on that site.

Laurierace
Jul. 16, 2012, 01:23 PM
I have been towing with a Sequoia since 2001 but no way I would attempt what you want to tow with that. I have a wb sized 2 horse with no dressing room to keep the trailer as small as possible.

KristiKGC
Jul. 16, 2012, 02:16 PM
Not all of the same Make/Model are actually the same. When I was looking for my Tahoe I found out that the typical Tahoes are only rated to tow around 3200lbs (or something crazy small, it was over 2 years ago when I was looking). I was told that to get the 7500lb towing capability, I would have to get the heavy duty model (which looked exactly the same).

Right on Target
Jul. 16, 2012, 02:37 PM
I've used our 2009 Tahoe to tow my 2h bp with a dressing room. The trailer weighs 3200 empty and the Tahoe is the heavy duty model. I haven't had two heavy horses in there but with two light horses I had no problems.

I do think that my Dodge Ram pulls the trailer a little better, but the Tahoe did just fine for my local shipping.

Everythingbutwings
Jul. 17, 2012, 07:26 AM
Chronicle articles on Towing and Trailer Safety (http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/towing-and-trailer-safety-part-1-its-all-about-horse) addresses your question

Trixie
Jul. 17, 2012, 09:31 AM
I'm afraid you'd have to be out of your head to tow two large warmbloods and a dressing room trailer with a Tahoe. The tow capacity on the newer ones is about 5,000 lbs give or take, and the older ones it's about 7,200, which could still be a stretch with trailer and equipment. You do NOT want to overload your vehicle.

I'd also skip the hybrid. Honestly, if you must have a SUV, you need one that is truck sized. I like 3/4 ton or better, in particular for that load.

reay6790
Jul. 17, 2012, 09:41 AM
I have a 2002 diesel excursion with a hd towing package. I have a 2H DR XXL Hawk. I am in love with my rig :) I wouldn't feel comfortable towing in much smaller.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h207/reay6790/d9e0a463.jpg

I did a lot of research on SUVs and the excursion was the only thing that I felt could tow what I needed to tow. I was also considering the 2500 suburban but it didn't have the power, gas mileage, or towing capacity of the diesel excursion.

AKB
Jul. 17, 2012, 09:51 AM
My Tahoe does well with my spacious 2 horse Sundowner (no dressing room, aluminum) and two 1500lb horses. For long trips (Florida) we use my daughter's truck as I don't trust the Tahoe at 65-70mph on I95.

cb06
Jul. 17, 2012, 09:54 AM
The tow rating for a Tahoe WITH the HD tow package is 8500lbs, for the hybrid Tahoe it is only 6100lbs.

carolprudm
Jul. 17, 2012, 09:55 AM
I have a 2002 diesel excursion with a hd towing package. I have a 2H DR XXL Hawk. I am in love with my rig :) I wouldn't feel comfortable towing in much smaller.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h207/reay6790/d9e0a463.jpg

I did a lot of research on SUVs and the excursion was the only thing that I felt could tow what I needed to tow. I was also considering the 2500 suburban but it didn't have the power, gas mileage, or towing capacity of the diesel excursion.

LOL, yup, you will have to pry my cold dead body away from my diesel Excursion

GoForAGallop
Jul. 17, 2012, 09:58 AM
LOL, yup, you will have to pry my cold dead body away from my diesel Excursion

Sold my '89 Diesel Suburban for three times what we paid for the '99 GMC 2500 gas quad cab. I still miss my 'burb every. single. day. :lol: It's pretty depressing how attached I was to that vehicle, I shouldn't have sold it. The guy who bought it giggled when he drove it.

Sadly, it was the 1500 and just underpowered for my 2-horse w/dressing. Needed the 2500. Tried for weeks to find a decent 2500 Diesel suburban, with no luck. :(

The brand new diesel Grand Cherokee coming out next year has an 8000lb capacity, if I'm remembering correctly, but it's going to be far out of my budget for several years, until they start hitting the used market.

lilitiger2
Jul. 17, 2012, 04:36 PM
You can get away with a slightly less monsterous tow vehicle if you are somewhere flat and not to hot or cold but you're pretty much looking a Suburban or used Excursion if you can find one

This! Suburbans or Excursions for sure, particularly the older ones. Or, a nice used 3/4 ton quad cab dodge (cummins) or Chevy (duramax) truck-can still tote passengers around, get 24-26 mpg and won't even feel your trailer!!;)

Jim_in_PA
Jul. 17, 2012, 08:49 PM
The brand new diesel Grand Cherokee coming out next year has an 8000lb capacity, if I'm remembering correctly, but it's going to be far out of my budget for several years, until they start hitting the used market.

That's a figure I haven't seen yet. Although it's certainly possible, I'll be surprised if it's that high. The Hemi V8 version I'm buying does go to 7200 lbs as I mentioned above. And yes, it will be pricy when it come out sometime between January and May of 2013 as a 2014 model.

GrantanaKC
Jul. 17, 2012, 10:12 PM
Interesting, from what you all are saying and what my Internet searches (obviously not the best indication, but certainly a starting point), it may be difficult to find a used SUV with the capabilities that I am looking for. It sounds like they are out there, but more rare. I'll have to keep on looking, I have a few months until I need to make any decisions, hence the early search. But it just may make more financial sense to keep the Subie and get a used 250/2500 that I use just for hauling. Interesting, keep the information coming!

Trixie
Jul. 17, 2012, 11:01 PM
Probably - you are essentially looking for something with truck capabilities but an SUV body. The average SUV driver is probably primarily looking for space, not to tow a heavy live load. Ergo, the more average SUV - which is built for the average SUV driver - will likely be insufficient for your purposes. You want something fairly specialized.

That being said, they make them, so it's possible. Whether or not it it's fiscally a better decision really depends on your finances, the condition of the Subaru, how much driving you do on a daily basis and the like. I just ran a quick craigslist search on SUV's similar to your criteria (Suburban 2500, for one) and there were a few options.

lilitiger2
Jul. 17, 2012, 11:06 PM
. But it just may make more financial sense to keep the Subie and get a used 250/2500 that I use just for hauling. Interesting, keep the information coming!

Yes! It is really very hard to find one vehicle that will do everything really well! Stay with your subie (ours has gone 215k and still putting along!) and get something designed for pulling!!!

doublete
Jul. 17, 2012, 11:23 PM
I use a Ford expedition to haul two tbs.. It is a gas hog at this point, but it has 230,000 miles on it.

trafalgar
Jul. 17, 2012, 11:56 PM
If you are going with a Suburban you should get the 3/4 ton but be aware that the 3/4 ton comes with different engine sizes and rear axle ratios. There is a difference of a few thousand pounds in what they are rated to pull. Some dealers do not even know this. Also the wheel base makes a difference. I believe the Tahoe has a shorter wheel base than the Suburban although they may be rated to pull the same weight....wheel base length makes a difference as does a weight distribution hitch in how the vehicle pulls and how safe it is. As someone on one of these threads said..."it's not if the car can pull it but if it should pull it"

TrotTrotPumpkn
Jul. 18, 2012, 11:22 AM
I seem to be in the minority, but I (personally) really dislike hauling with my tow-equiped Expedition. Probably because I started my towing life with a 3/4 ton HD truck. Mine is a 2005 with 60k miles and the 5.4 L V8.

An Excursion or a 3/4 ton Suburban would be much better. I've commented much more in-depth on this before. It has to do with the independent rear suspension newer models have. ;)

airhorse
Jul. 18, 2012, 12:29 PM
Diesel Excursion, period.

FLeventer
Jul. 18, 2012, 01:16 PM
I have been trying to find a diesel excursion for years after pulling with one. I love my dually but it can get cramped with just two people let alone with two dogs. Its an extended cab but still. Only hitch is I would not be able to pull my gooseneck with it. I really am not a fan of my bp.

Honestly if you can swing it keep your small vehicle now and get a truck. If you want the extra space get a topper for the back with a crew or extended cab. Good deals all over on older models. I got my minimally used dually with the 7.3 and turbo for cheap. Had only 106k on it. I see deals all the time on CL. People cant afford the gas or need money so they get rid of extra trucks. My dually though only moves to tow, go to the store sometimes, and to get wood with the long bed. I drive the F150 everywhere else or the other two chevy trucks. I sort of collect trucks. I have six in total and only three I would trust to pull the trailer.

To all those who pull with a small suv, have you pulled with a big truck as well? Do you miss the security? I know I miss it when I pull the bp with my F150 over the dually.

Good luck!

Forte
Jul. 18, 2012, 01:58 PM
I would not attempt to pull a 2 horse trailer with two warmbloods in it with an SUV. Keep your car for commuting to work and get yourself a 3/4 truck for towing.

RAyers
Jul. 18, 2012, 02:09 PM
Interesting, from what you all are saying and what my Internet searches (obviously not the best indication, but certainly a starting point), it may be difficult to find a used SUV with the capabilities that I am looking for. It sounds like they are out there, but more rare. I'll have to keep on looking, I have a few months until I need to make any decisions, hence the early search. But it just may make more financial sense to keep the Subie and get a used 250/2500 that I use just for hauling. Interesting, keep the information coming!

There is a SIMPLE way to answer your question. How much do your horses weigh? How much does the trailer weigh? How many folks will you be taking? Feed? Tack? How much does the vehicle of interest weigh (curb weight on the registration is a good estimator for this exercise)? Add up ALL of the weights and this is your PAYLOAD.

Now get the GVWRs of the trailer and the proposed tow vehicle. Add those together.

Subtract the payload. If the number is NEGATIVE, the vehicle is insufficient. If it is positive, then the vehicle is a potential candidate.

Do NOT rely on towing capacity. That is a BS number and not realistic from a safety POV.

asb_own_me
Jul. 18, 2012, 02:41 PM
There is a SIMPLE way to answer your question. How much do your horses weigh? How much does the trailer weigh? How many folks will you be taking? Feed? Tack? How much does the vehicle of interest weigh (curb weight on the registration is a good estimator for this exercise)? Add up ALL of the weights and this is your PAYLOAD.

Now get the GVWRs of the trailer and the proposed tow vehicle. Add those together.

Subtract the payload. If the number is NEGATIVE, the vehicle is insufficient. If it is positive, then the vehicle is a potential candidate.

Do NOT rely on towing capacity. That is a BS number and not realistic from a safety POV.

We really, really, REALLY need a "like" button here on the COTH forums.

Halt and Salute
Jul. 19, 2012, 02:28 AM
I pull my 3H trailer with dressing room with my Land Rover LR3. Its a 2006 and does a fantastic job, though burns through the gas quickly when towing.