PDA

View Full Version : Yellow summer squash for horses?

msj
Jul. 16, 2012, 09:26 AM
I think I remember on a previous thread about summer squash someone said they fed it to their horses. I imagine they meant raw like treats like carrots or apples.

Does anyone do this?? Has anyone done this?

I planted yellow summer sqaush this year in a couple of bare spots in the flower garden (hey why not? :D). Needless to say, besides giving it to my neighbors and eating it myself, I end up with about 4-6 squashes daily and it looks like the plants are going to be producing a lot more/day down the road. I would like to try to feed it to my boys. One horse eats practically anything and, while the other is a bit pickier, he will usually give something strange a try. I generally pick the squashes when they are still fairly small, about 5" so the seeds haven't really developed.

So any thoughts about it? If you do, make sure you say how you're doing it. I figured I'd cut the squash lengthwise and then into quarters so they'd kinda look like a carrot.

JB
Jul. 16, 2012, 09:51 AM
:yes: :yes:

They don't all like it, but it's quite good for them and many love it :) Feeding it raw is quite fine.

wsmoak
Jul. 16, 2012, 10:42 AM
They're mostly water and they don't really taste like much, so give it a try.

But... you should really preserve them so you have them this winter! My favorite recipe is to caramelize a bunch of onions in butter or olive oil (really get them soft and brown) and then fill the pot with cut up squash and cram a lid on it. When it cooks down enough to be able to stir, add salt and pepper to taste.

msj
Jul. 16, 2012, 10:46 AM
Thanks JB. :) The boys are cooling off in front of the fans right now so I think I'll just take one out and see how they do.

wsmoak, I do freeze some and use it for squash bread, same recipe as zuchini only with squash!

Right now a daily diet of squash will get me sick of them in no time though. :yes:

carolprudm
Jul. 16, 2012, 12:04 PM
You can also add tomatoes and peppers to wsmoak's recipe

msj
Jul. 16, 2012, 12:12 PM
You can also add tomatoes and peppers to wsmoak's recipe

:lol: I'd have to go to the store to get the peppers and tomatoes. I really did try a serious garden one year. It was a yr with no summer. I had 3 tomatoes ripen on the vine out of 6 plants, the green peppers were only golf ball size, and most every other planting was the same :( except the squash. Tried again last yr for peppers and they didn't even grow. :(

Forgot to add that I tried a cut up squash and both horses liked it! I just bought 5 lbs of carrots so the boys will get a 'balanced' diet. :)