PDA

View Full Version : Champagne Run training Helmet Cam

eponacowgirl
Jul. 15, 2012, 10:41 PM
Cathy Wieschhoff is a brilliant course designer. If you ever have the chance to ride one of her courses- TAKE IT!

Every course of hers I've ridden has been seamless.

Anyway- helmet cam!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zugk-kLsGwc

This was Miss B's first time running XC in a hackamore. She much preferred it. We only disagreed about one distance (the last one, of course) and the rest she either took out of stride or allowed me to ride her to a deep spot- her preference, we usually just argue to get there!

I also had a good laugh through the coffin- I was quite worried about the "faux" ditch. She had a complete melt down (quite unlike her) when I built a mini faux ditch in our gallop field for my students to practice over. This one, however, since it was in the middle of a combination, she just cantered THROUGH! They probably had to rake the hoof prints out of it after we went through!

Tuckertoo
Jul. 16, 2012, 12:55 AM
Well done! I love watching peoples' helmet cams :)

How did you find the footing down there at the Horse Park?

eponacowgirl
Jul. 16, 2012, 09:14 AM
HARD. The course was not as bad as the warmup, but it was definitely the hardest run I've ever had at KHP. We were lucky to get a fair amount of rain on Friday which softened it up a touch, but I still iced after our run.

Normally the footing there is fabulous. It can hold a ton of water without getting squishy... but, alas, no water to be found this year!

Auburn
Jul. 16, 2012, 09:30 AM
I love your mare!

I got time penalties on cross country, because of having just enough rain on the dry grass to make it slippery. We had a sharp turn to #4, for which I slowed down. Oh well...

Cathy Wieschhoff is a super course designer. I wish that more Organizers would utilize her talents. :yes::yes:

Thank you for sharing your ride. Watching the rhythm of your horse's head gives me something to shoot for with Tess.

Great job! :D

eponacowgirl
Jul. 16, 2012, 09:54 AM
In hindsight, I wish I'd gone a touch slower. We walked a longer turn after 4 and she was so ready that we made the shorter one without thinking. We came in about 20 seconds under time and she was a a tiny bit hotter than I would have liked- humidity, I guess!

Gryhrs
Jul. 16, 2012, 09:54 AM
Great ride!!!! You made it look easy!

I would have lost some sleep over some of those questions...the drop turning to the brush for one.....then the Weldon's Wall :O ! No problem for you!
Looked like a great course.

eponacowgirl
Jul. 16, 2012, 10:03 AM
Great ride!!!! You made it look easy!

I would have lost some sleep over some of those questions...the drop turning to the brush for one.....then the Weldon's Wall :O ! No problem for you!
Looked like a great course.

Yeaaaaaah... we walked the course on Thursday when we got there. I didn't sleep until Saturday night when it was all over. :lol::lol:

Brandy is a brilliant little XC machine- I don't know why I worry- she's never let me down- but I still do! The coffin and the ditch and wall kept me up. I was a little concerned about making the turns because I'd never run her in a hackamore before, but she was not a happy camper the last time I ran her in her waterford, so as I told my trainer as I fretted in warmup "I don't think we're going to know if this is going to work until I make the turn between 4a and 4b!"

Gestalt
Jul. 16, 2012, 10:10 AM
Thanks for "taking me along for the ride" :D

EventingJ
Jul. 16, 2012, 10:41 AM
wahoo! great ride!! Looked like a lot of fun :)

purplnurpl
Jul. 17, 2012, 09:28 AM
that was so much fun!
awesome horse!

KateMcCall
Jul. 17, 2012, 12:23 PM
Loved it, you had an awesome ride! That course looks like a blast.
Oh my gosh, you guys with the helmet cams are making me sooooo excited to compete next spring!!
Thanks for sharing!! :D

ACMEeventing
Jul. 18, 2012, 06:19 PM
GREAT run!!! I love your mare's ears, she's always checking in with you. You did such an awesome job letting her know where she was going next.

Super run, thanks for sharing! :)

s65horsey
Jul. 19, 2012, 05:27 PM
Agreed ACM, watching Brandy's ears has always been my favorite part of living vicariously through Lauren's helmet cams. They're like mini radar sensors or something.