PDA

View Full Version : Full Moon Farm..?

YingYang53
Jul. 15, 2012, 10:27 PM
Thinking about doing their event at the end of July and was wanting some information on their venue...specifically their xc courses. Are the heights true to their level, is it pretty open or is it trappy, better for beginners/adv riders/horses. Just looking for any information to help make my decision. Thanks!

judybigredpony
Jul. 16, 2012, 08:08 AM
2nd the questions...

Fergs
Jul. 16, 2012, 09:32 AM
I've never been because they had a policy requiring Rhino vaccination within 60 days, but lots of folks from MD take their young horses and think it's a decent local show.

gr8fulrider
Jul. 16, 2012, 10:14 AM
I haven't been since '07 but I'd say it is a very good first event for a greenie. The fences are smaller at the lower levels than you would find elsewhere. Skip the intro unless it's the rider's first show and they just want to get through it with a smile. The "fences" are 6" tall and the xc is in this little fenced in hilly spot with a puddle. The "BBN" is really intro and it is on a very nice, inviting field that I think is ideal for when your goal is just to get the horse to a new place for the first time and have to do something other than hack around. The BN is still small relative to say, Fair Hill, so I'd say that it's also a good exercise to just get off your farm.

A few years ago the only even slightly spooky fence was two port-a-potties with a pvc pole between them. That makes an unforgettable photo. :D

Edited to say I never competed anything but the tiny baby levels but it was a nice place to school the other stuff.

Ajierene
Jul. 16, 2012, 10:38 AM
To go, school and have a good experience for the horse/rider, it is good. Dressage is in a groomed arena and stadium is in a pretty flat area. Everything is right there. Cross country is a bit loopy, since they don't have a ton of room for the course, but I would not consider it trappy at all. It is not exactly gallopy, more like cantery....

The fences are reasonable height/combinations/scariness for the level and a bit under the lower levels, but at height/combination/scariness for Open Novice and training.

The issue my friends experienced last time we went (last fall) was that timing for some of the levels was off. Some of the levels give you an open option, where stadium and cross country are timed like a recognized event. In theory, it is a good experience before paying for a recognized event, but in practice some people found their times were way off. When I went about a year and a half ago and did beginner novice (not timed), I thought everything was run well. It was last fall when some friends were doing open novice and training that these issues occurred.

kkindley
Jul. 16, 2012, 11:28 AM
Their warmups tend to be very small and crowded. Rings themselves are very nice. XC can be a very mixed bag. Often overly decorated and you'll have a mix of tiny and max stuff. Their ditch is not well placed for the lower divisions and one year you had to jump into the water at BN instead of a pass through. Tough for a starter BN. You definately expose your horse to lots of different things. Not a lot going on unrec right now, so they picked a good time to add another starter. They do have very nice SJ fences as well.

technopony
Jul. 16, 2012, 09:28 PM
Not sure I'd use it for a green horse again... I did the pipeopener in probably '08 and xc didn't flow well and wasn't very inviting... granted I was on a horse who turned out to just not be a good XC horse, but I would much rather have taken her to a nice recognized event with a good forward course and bigger jumps. There was a blow up plastic alligator in the ditch, a hedge, and the portapotty jump is always a little spooky. Just weird things that you aren't going to see at a recognized event.

YingYang53
Jul. 16, 2012, 09:51 PM
Thanks for giving me some things to think about.

My main goal for my next event with my horse is to move up to Novice...we had a bad experience last year but have since competed in-gone double clear-and placed in 4 beginner novice events and are ready. However, he is a horse that needs open space and to gallop as Novice is going to be where he will max out competition-wise so we need the room to be able to gallop and it be pretty open and inviting as the in&out of woods/steep hills/and trappiness messed with us at our first attempt novice. I don't want a super easy novice as I know we can do it and I want it to be an actual move up from our previous BN's at Fair Hill, Plantation & Loch Moy where he went very well at BN.

judybigredpony
Jul. 16, 2012, 10:44 PM
Well will be borrowing the plasitc blow up pool alligater to jump over..:)

retreadeventer
Jul. 16, 2012, 11:23 PM
I did it a few years ago, and haven't been back in a while, so can't speak to current course ... and I think, when you go to an unrecognized starter event, to some extent you do get the weird and wonderful ... that's not all bad, as long as it's fair to all....and no one gets to practice the cross country course in the morning before everyone else gets there....

Fergs
Jul. 16, 2012, 11:28 PM
When do you want to move up? There are some excellent recognized Novice courses around...Oatlands is a great, gallopy course, and so is Middleburg. I wouldn't hesitate to do one of those over Full Moon.

YingYang53
Jul. 17, 2012, 07:04 AM
When do you want to move up? There are some excellent recognized Novice courses around...Oatlands is a great, gallopy course, and so is Middleburg. I wouldn't hesitate to do one of those over Full Moon.

Sorry I realize my other post came across unclear...wherever I choose to go next will be where I move up which is why I am trying to see if FMF is a good place to do so for me and my horse...

SuperAlter
Jul. 17, 2012, 08:50 AM
The ditch is scary. The approach is not welcoming *at all*.

The Rhino comment is correct (which can be a pain). But, rules are rules!

FMF runs a large operation and they have some lovely riders/horses. With that said, there is an unfair advantage to their home riders .It's just one of those things, you either accept it or not.

I found the stadium to be awkward and really it didnt ride well. Granted, I think we were having and off day anyway but be prepared for decorations out the wazoo. I quite like the amount of effort they put into things but, it has led to more than one refusal for me !

The only complaint I had was- If you are going to run stadium as first come first serve then run X/C that way too. I volunteered to jump my stadium round well ahead of several others (as they were not ready). I then went directly to X/C who was running by the pinney numbers. You guessed it, I waited and waited and waited. My horse was rearing, lunging and overall being a real PIA (as I said it was an off day) :lol: and they would not let me go. I ended up having the ride of my life X/C (and not in a good way) he was just so fired up.

But, I really do think its a nice event for the space they have. They put alot of effort into making it great and it is not a backyard operation. Its worth the money for sure. If the above things will really be an issue for you I wouldnt go, but if you can look past these things I really think you will have a really great time. If nothing else, its a good experience to jump some well... unusual items!

asterix
Jul. 17, 2012, 09:48 AM
I just went and did their unrec T and plan to go back to this one -- now, I am NOT on a green horse, just a rusty one, so...

SJ was on grass and was fairly twisty. Not overly big or decorated for the level.

XC -- they do not have a ton of room so the higher up you go, the more loopy/rollbacky the course gets. At T we did a lot of zig zagging. They do start you off with a nice run up the hill to get rolling, but there just isn't as much open space as there is at some places.

I thought the T course was well designed and not super soft for the level. After your first run you had a "set up" fence off a turn, and then a big rollback turn to a real live Training corner; next question was an up bank 3 strides to a max dimension single (skinny) chevron. I think had I been moving UP those would have really been eye openers.

The ditch is nasty and cannot be overridden. It's fine, but I wouldn't take a ditchy horse to give it confidence.

Also at Novice there will be a LOT of terrain. You will not have jump efforts on big hills but you will be going up and down a lot. This may be good practice depending on what you are looking for.

If you went, after this, to, say Waredaca recognized in August, you would find the SJ to be bigger and brighter at Waredaca, and much more of an "event" feel there. The cross country would look open and maybe more inviting, less terrain, lots of space to gallop.