PDA

View Full Version : Need bit suggestion for youngish horse

Ruth0552
Jul. 15, 2012, 05:36 PM
A friend has a lovely young draftX mare. When she got her she was moving mostly on her forehand, and is naturally a somewhat downhill horse.

She had a plain snaffle when she got her, then moved to a KK Ultra snaffle of some variety, and there was somewhat of a head flipping issue with both. She was also wiggly and her pace was uneven. Miss Mare is naturally a forward moving horse.

My friend has invested in training and lessons to get Miss Mare moving in a more orderly fashion. My friend events at the elementary level but is quite an experienced dressage rider- she was sort of seduced by the dark side. My friend and a trainer tried Miss Mare in a Pelham this spring and Miss Mare loves the Pelham. Light, round, and forward moving into the bridle. No head tossing. Now moving much better as well- not wobbling or rushing.

Now, Pelhams are not allowed at dressage shows (not sure about eventing dressage, she is concentrating on dressage for now). My friend has tried some other bits- a boucher, a double jointed snaffle, a double jointed snaffle with a flat peanut in the middle, and no dice. Miss mare is still a bit grumpy with the others, and does her head flipping thing. Anybody got a suggestion- something like a Pelham but allowed for dressage shows?

Heliodoro
Jul. 16, 2012, 11:00 AM
Is the pelham a straight bit with no joints or "broken"? That's the only thing that jumped out at me from what your mare likes vs dislikes, pelham vs broken other bits. If so, try a mullen mouth snaffle, it may be the joints she doesn't like in her mouth. She may have a low palate and the joints are too upsetting for her.

pattnic
Jul. 16, 2012, 12:24 PM
If the Pelham is unjointed, I would try a mullen Baucher.

IFG
Jul. 16, 2012, 12:25 PM
Myler is now making a baucher that will act like a mullen baucher, and it might be easier to find than a mullen baucher which can be tough to locate.

Ruth0552
Jul. 16, 2012, 08:35 PM
Darn, no it is a broken pelham with nothing fancy- just a plain joint in the middle.

I knew someone here would have some suggestions though!!

eponacowgirl
Jul. 16, 2012, 08:47 PM
Try a mullen snaffle or stick with the baucher for awhile and see if she likes it better.

My perchie mare is FUSSY FUSSY FUSSY and those are two of her favorites.

Her absolute favorite is the hackamore.

pattnic
Jul. 17, 2012, 10:38 AM
Is the Baucher that was originally tried a single or double joint? If it was a single joint, then I might give that one another go, and stick with it a bit longer.

I also might still try a mullen Baucher.

A full cheek or eggbutt are other possible options, as well. If I were to try one of those, I would try one with a single joint and a curved mouthpiece (like the JP Korsteel bits).

A mullen loose ring is also something that may be worth a shot. A mullen eggbutt will be steadier in the mouth than a mullen loose ring.

ponysize
Jul. 17, 2012, 11:22 AM
What were the rings on the previous bits? If they were loose rings, some horses just don't like them. She may just like the stability of the pelham not necessary the pelham itself. Try a D or full cheek.

Carried Away
Jul. 17, 2012, 11:29 AM
If she likes the mullen or fixed mouthpiece bits, try a Sprenger Duo. I have had much success with fussy horses and these bits.

IFG
Jul. 17, 2012, 12:21 PM
If you live near me in MA (I am near Providence), I have two french link bauchers that you could try (5" and 5.5"), you just need to be sure to return them to me.