PDA

View Full Version : Are there "eventer type" horse names ?

gr8fulrider
Jul. 15, 2012, 11:59 AM
I know that lots of WB dressage horses go by their fancy "starts with dad's initial" names. (a) Is there any kind of pattern for event horse names and (b) do people stick anywhere close to Jockey Club names? Or is it just a free-for-all?

KateMcCall
Jul. 15, 2012, 12:13 PM
I was actually wondering this same thing.

My horse was named Julio (because he was born in July, and he grandfather was 'El Hombre') when I bought him but I didn't want just "Julio" as a registered/show name.
A friend who speaks Spanish helped me pick out "El Calor de Julio" which means the Heat of July. It'll have to do. Haha.

Blugal
Jul. 15, 2012, 12:16 PM
There is no real pattern, although right now names with a Fernhill prefix are popular (i.e. they were all bought and sold by the same folks, who rename them with Fernhill in their name). There once was a time that names with a Welton prefix (from Sam Barr's stud) had the same power/connotation.

Bruce Davidson's often had Lion or Pirate in them, which denoted certain bloodlines in his horses.

I read somewhere that in the UK, if a horse's name has roman numerals in it, that means it is not a thoroughbred horse.

As for your other question, some people like to keep the Jockey Club names, others don't. It's a personal preference.

deltawave
Jul. 15, 2012, 12:21 PM
Since an "eventer" can be a Haflinger cross, a fancy-pants warmblood, an OTTB, or a funny looking spotted horse out of someone's back yard, there is no single "system" for naming them. :lol:

It is a free for all, as well it should be. There are WAY too many dumb rules in the horse world without adding more. :D

Personally I think making convoluted efforts to make a horse's name "match" its sire and dam is dopey. Pick a name that you like and there you have it. :)

rabicon
Jul. 15, 2012, 01:52 PM
Seems like most eventing horse names are just fun. That's what's nice about them. Even at upper levels like gin and juice love it lol. I think people go with what they want. Keeping reg name jockey club name daddy's first letter name or just fun

Blugal
Jul. 15, 2012, 02:12 PM
I do believe a quintessential eventer name was Drunken Disorderly, ridden by Mark Kyle (Ireland).

Foxtrot's
Jul. 15, 2012, 02:27 PM
I was just going to post that, Blugal!

SnicklefritzG
Jul. 15, 2012, 03:09 PM
I'd just pick something you like. Some JC names tend to be weird. A friend of mine owned a horse named "Mr. C" and changed it to "Sir Charles".

fanfayre
Jul. 15, 2012, 03:44 PM
IF either the sire or dam was/is very well known or passes on successful qualities, then I feel it's a sign of respect to horse/breeder/farm to somehow incorporate the name into the offspring's show name, IF the sire/dam/farm name is known.

That said, I can't think of anything to add to "Vida" to include something to do with romance (yet) other than "Romance" or "Romanza" so for now, she'll just show as Vida. Although "Vida Romance" doesn't sound too bad.

gr8fulrider
Jul. 15, 2012, 06:10 PM
D-wave AMEN to not adding more rules if we can help it. At least not until I become an eccentric heiress and don't have to play by workplace rules. :D (eccentric, check. heiress, nope).

I don't know much about racehorse breeding but her name is totally unrelated to her sire's and dam's so maybe that says they're not all that fancy. I haven't heard of them, which means neither of them is Secretariat. :lol:

Wondering if feeling so stumped means I should just keep her Jockey Club name. She's six and the only other name I've ever heard her called is "the grey mare."

This is her: http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/252670_4163327043568_2020322872_n.jpg

deltawave
Jul. 15, 2012, 06:52 PM
Well, what is her JC name? Do you like it? What name have you always wanted to give a horse? :)

OneMoreForTheRoad
Jul. 15, 2012, 07:56 PM
When I got my first OTTB I didn't like his JC name (Sea Flip) but I couldnt figure out what I wanted to call him. It took me about 3 weeks to come up with a name for him, which was Rock On. His daddy is Grindstone so I unintentionally kinda related to him, but I wasn't really trying to.

RWR
Jul. 15, 2012, 08:01 PM
I evented my thoroughbred under his JC name and plan to do the same with the next horse...unless I really dislike his name! :)

VicariousRider
Jul. 15, 2012, 11:25 PM
There are no rules. I come from the school of thought that thinks keeping a JC name is a good idea unless it's really horrendous (I know a horse who is now a 4* eventer whose JC name was "Dogbiscuit"... I mean, REALLY?!?)

The trends I've noticed are as follows:
- A bit goofy (think "Ringwood Cockatoo")
- Single names ("Arthur" "Indie" "Cooper" "Exponential")
- People names ("Neville Bardos" "Otis Barbotie" "Mr. Medicott")
- Trainers who "brand" their horses no matter the breeding (Horses bred by Boyd & Silva always have a W at the end such as "Schatzi W", The "Fernhill" prefix is now omni-present, Ryan Wood is selling the horses he imports wit the prefix "Woodstock", Jess Phoenix's horses names start with "E" usually)

But these are just trends that I noticed. There are certainly not any rules!

DottieHQ
Jul. 16, 2012, 12:58 AM
There are no rules. I come from the school of thought that thinks keeping a JC name is a good idea unless it's really horrendous (I know a horse who is now a 4* eventer whose JC name was "Dogbiscuit"... I mean, REALLY?!?)

The trends I've noticed are as follows:
- A bit goofy (think "Ringwood Cockatoo")
- Single names ("Arthur" "Indie" "Cooper" "Exponential")
- People names ("Neville Bardos" "Otis Barbotie" "Mr. Medicott")
- Trainers who "brand" their horses no matter the breeding (Horses bred by Boyd & Silva always have a W at the end such as "Schatzi W", The "Fernhill" prefix is now omni-present, Ryan Wood is selling the horses he imports wit the prefix "Woodstock", Jess Phoenix's horses names start with "E" usually)

But these are just trends that I noticed. There are certainly not any rules!

At least announcers at shows can pronounce dogbiscuit...I can't say the same for Dottie's registered name: Geecheesumadis (a really hick way of saying 'get you some of this'--inspired by her dam's name, Geechee).
Yep. Somebody actually though that was a good name for a horse. Face, meet palm.

hollynanne
Jul. 16, 2012, 02:59 AM
I know I've told this story before, but...
My friend from college has a JC gelding who she would show under "One On One" and she calls him "Uno" at home (he's living a very happy retirement with his troublemaker horse-brothers at his mommy's farm in IL). I remember asking her what his JC name (assuming it was either One On One, or something similar).

She confessed his JC name... "Becky's Angel"
(her name is not Becky, btw.. lol)

I was showing my mare under "Second Chances," but it just doesn't fit her, so we're going back to her JC name, "Steppin' Not Dragon." Dragon kinda fits her. :)
Charlie's JC name is "exclusivelynassau," which IMO is pretty stupid. We show him under "Top Shelf." He's kind of a Top Shelf, but goofy like a Charlie.

p.s. This is literally the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsGYh8AacgY) why my husband named his horse, "Charlie." We have a messed up sense of humor in our house.

gr8fulrider
Jul. 16, 2012, 09:10 AM
I know I've told this story before, but...
My friend from college has a JC gelding who she would show under "One On One" and she calls him "Uno" at home (he's living a very happy retirement with his troublemaker horse-brothers at his mommy's farm in IL). I remember asking her what his JC name (assuming it was either One On One, or something similar).

She confessed his JC name... "Becky's Angel"
(her name is not Becky, btw.. lol)

I was showing my mare under "Second Chances," but it just doesn't fAit her, so we're going back to her JC pname, "Steppin' Not Dragon." Dragon kinda fits her. :)
Charlie's JC name is "exclusivelynassau," which IMO is pretty stupid. We show him under "Top Shelf." He's kind of a Top Shelf, but goofy like a Charlie.

p.s. This is literally the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsGYh8AacgY) why my husband named his horse, "Charlie." We have a messed up sense of humor in our house.
Life is full of uncertainty. Whatever plans we make, there is no telling where our road will take us. It is foolish to claim otherwise.

However, I know at a molecular level that the unicorn video will be stuck in my head all week.

wishnwell
Jul. 16, 2012, 11:41 AM
My daughter's OTTB has kind of a ( I think ) dumb name, but she's superstitious and kept it.... his name is "Kenny Run" It would be nice to incorporate his sire's name somehow, but not sure if that will fly with her, he was "El Prado" an Irish TB.

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 16, 2012, 12:53 PM
free for all...and I personally don't have too much of a pattern.

If they come with an ok JC name...I keep it. Of the current 4 that I own...I have kept the JC name for all of them.

I've done some breeding of WBs and for those, I have to follow the requirements for the applicable registry....I'm running out of "D" names. But honestly....some of the babies I have, I like their barn name much more than their registered name and if I still have them in a few years, will likely show them under their barn name.

Of course when you start to get a number of horses, it can be fun to do a naming theme. I did names from Harry Potter books, songs titles....and currently seem to be on an astronomy kick. I've know people to name them after hats, drinks, airports, mountains..... what ever makes you happy :)

ZackAttack
Jul. 16, 2012, 12:54 PM
If I like a horse's Jockey Club name I'll keep it. Like my current mare her Jockey Club name is Time of My Life, which I love so I'm keeping it. Though at time's I've considered changing it to "She's a Wild One" (with an angel's face). But I love her current name too much to change it.

My last TB was named Root for Me when I got her, which I also loved. But her Jockey Club name was Lil' Kari O'Key. I understand why her previous owner changed it.
But there's no rule on naming. Just pick a name you like and that fits your horse and stick with it. :]

tres grey
Jul. 16, 2012, 01:41 PM
When I bought my guy, I was all set to change his AQHA name. Eventually, I contacted Trey's breeder, a really sweet elderly man. He sent me pictures of Trey racing and his other siblings, and he mentioned that he named my horse after his grandson. Welp. I didn't want to change it then! Intrepid Trey stuck, even though he only lives up to his name half the time.

For my next horse(s), I really want to marry my two passions together: horses & design. A little graphic design nerdiness for you (where's Leadandpie when you need her?), but I'd love to my horse name after a typeface that suits his personality. Big, bold dark bay/black horse? Franklin Gothic. Dainty mare? Mrs. Eaves. And you get the idea... Now to find said horse... that's a whole 'nother story.

Cameraine
Jul. 16, 2012, 01:57 PM
I always thought whomever named that infamous AQHA stud Peptoboonsmal was smoking something when they registered him. Of course how could they have known how famous he was going to be. Now there are all these Pepto and boonsmal somethings running around. He's a strawberry roan by the way.

Name the horse what you would like, something that says something or means something to you. My mare came with an okay JC name but I show her under the name from a book I'm working on.

hollynanne
Jul. 16, 2012, 02:07 PM
When I bought my guy, I was all set to change his AQHA name. Eventually, I contacted Trey's breeder, a really sweet elderly man. He sent me pictures of Trey racing and his other siblings, and he mentioned that he named my horse after his grandson. Welp. I didn't want to change it then! Intrepid Trey stuck, even though he only lives up to his name half the time.

For my next horse(s), I really want to marry my two passions together: horses & design. A little graphic design nerdiness for you (where's Leadandpie when you need her?), but I'd love to my horse name after a typeface that suits his personality. Big, bold dark bay/black horse? Franklin Gothic. Dainty mare? Mrs. Eaves. And you get the idea... Now to find said horse... that's a whole 'nother story.
New Century Schoolbook? :) Actually, I think "I shot the Serif" would be kind of cool. lol. I'm a nerd and not even a design nerd!

kcmel
Jul. 16, 2012, 02:18 PM
"Sans Serif" would be a cool name!

PrinceSheik325
Jul. 16, 2012, 02:30 PM
At least announcers at shows can pronounce dogbiscuit...I can't say the same for Dottie's registered name: Geecheesumadis (a really hick way of saying 'get you some of this'--inspired by her dam's name, Geechee).
Yep. Somebody actually though that was a good name for a horse. Face, meet palm.

Dottie - that is pretty bad! My OTTB's JC name was Prince Sheik (redundant much?). I ended up renaming him "Time to Tango" because he's constantly dancing (especially in the wash stall).

I really think you should pick a name that suits your horse. Maybe it's the JC name, maybe it's one you've come up with. I have a few in my back pocket I can't wait to use. :)

leahandpie
Jul. 16, 2012, 03:49 PM

HAHAHA!! This is totally awesome and I love those names!!!
Bodoni...an elegant metro gelding
Scala Sans...Connemara mare
Zapfino...flighty Arabian!! :lol:

I changed the name of my old OTTB mare...her JC name was "Could Be Fine". Ick, eww, what a dumb name...although it did describe her unpredictable personality! The people I got her from called her "CB". I changed it to "Fine Lady". (I was 13 ;))

My current OTTB's both came with names I loved...Pie is JC "Caribbean Pirate" and Mulligan is JC "Thegreatcrosby".

gr8fulrider
Jul. 16, 2012, 04:11 PM
HAHAHA!! This is totally awesome and I love those names!!!
Bodoni...an elegant metro gelding
Scala Sans...Connemara mare
Zapfino...flighty Arabian!! :lol:

I changed the name of my old OTTB mare...her JC name was "Could Be Fine". Ick, eww, what a dumb name...although it did describe her unpredictable personality! The people I got her from called her "CB". I changed it to "Fine Lady". (I was 13 ;))

My current OTTB's both came with names I loved...Pie is JC "Caribbean Pirate" and Mulligan is JC "Thegreatcrosby".

Anybody got

Wingdings or Zapf Dingbats?

:eek::eek:

Jane Honda
Jul. 16, 2012, 04:46 PM
I had a dingbat before I settled her sugar issue. :lol:

Her registered name is Mudders Day, which I'm not super excited about. Her barn name is Luna, and I'm thinking of Mother Moon which suites both of us.

She's a 17 hand dark bay TB mare that looks WB. She's also got a very maternal temperament. I loff her so much!

GutsNGlory
Jul. 16, 2012, 04:53 PM
Anybody got

Wingdings or Zapf Dingbats?

:eek::eek:

:lol: I used to own one who could have totally been named either.. he was gorgeous and a total sweetheart, but dumb dumb dumb. Of course, I loved him because he made riding easy because he never questioned anything you told him to do... but my parents wanted him out of the barn.

Love the concept of script names to match the personality... my boy would definitely be a classic Jokerman. :yes:

Mtn trails
Jul. 16, 2012, 05:51 PM
I tossed around a few names for my mustang. Her barn name is Zephyr and everyone knows her by Zephyr. However, after much addition and subtraction of names on the list, her registered name with the USEA is Lock and Load. Hearing the announcer at Aspen say after our clean stadium round that "Lock and Load is loaded for bear" was kind of a kick.

VicariousRider
Jul. 16, 2012, 06:53 PM
I had a dingbat before I settled her sugar issue. :lol:

Her registered name is Mudders Day, which I'm not super excited about. Her barn name is Luna, and I'm thinking of Mother Moon which suites both of us.

She's a 17 hand dark bay TB mare that looks WB. She's also got a very maternal temperament. I loff her so much!

My mare's show name is Luna! Barn name is Lulu. I was 14 when I chose Luna to register with the AHSA and her dam was named Mariposa (spanish for butterfly) and her sire the much loved Simbalu of early 90's h'j fame. Lulu suits her so much, though, I have entered her under that when we have evented.

Nomini
Jul. 17, 2012, 07:49 PM
I love that eventers can have any name because they can be any breed and come from anywhere, and no one will really judge you for whatever you decide to call them, be it classy or ridiculous. I personally am a huge fan of themes. My first pony (who I still have) is named and competed as Chablis, her daughter is Madeira (Maddie), and I changed my TB's JC name from something I hated (Roberto's Coolotta) to Cava. I'm trying to now breed Maddie and I'm researching another wine name!

Judysmom
Jul. 17, 2012, 07:55 PM
I always kinda wanted to name an event horse after the Mad Max movies...

"Next in the ring is Judysmom, riding The Road Warrior" "The Road Warrior clears fence 6 with ease" LOL.

I'll have to wait untill I get my next non-TB. I try to keep the JC names, breed promotion and all that.

gr8fulrider
Jul. 17, 2012, 09:19 PM
I love that eventers can have any name because they can be any breed and come from anywhere, and no one will really judge you for whatever you decide to call them, be it classy or ridiculous. I personally am a huge fan of themes. My first pony (who I still have) is named and competed as Chablis, her daughter is Madeira (Maddie), and I changed my TB's JC name from something I hated (Roberto's Coolotta) to Cava. I'm trying to now breed Maddie and I'm researching another wine name!

Nomini, I've heard a lot about you from my good friend LoriB, who posted some wonderful pictures of your beautiful Cava at Waredaca a couple of years ago. I remember because I asked Lori if you'd notice if I stole her. :D

faybe
Jul. 17, 2012, 09:43 PM
I was showing my mare under "Second Chances," but it just doesn't fit her, so we're going back to her JC name, "Steppin' Not Dragon." Dragon kinda fits her. :)

I had a horse JC name "Exclusively Proud" and one called "Ihaveseenthelight". I wasn't particularly in love with either and both had been off the track and re-named when I got them. Exclusively Proud was called "Perch" around the barn and I gave him the show name "Catch of the Day". My vet at the time gave me such a hard time for for the "fish" theme that I swore I'd name them all after fish :D. Ihaveseenthelight became Kipper around the barn and "Fresh Catch" in the show ring. My next one is going to be "Catch and Release", barn name Guppie? Tuna? Sal? (for Salmon?)... I'll have to wait till I get a "next" one and see what their personality is, I suppose. :winkgrin:

NSRider
Jul. 18, 2012, 02:42 AM
My guy's registered name is Dakotas Lil Shocker, barn name was Shocker. He's registered as a half arabian.

I didn't keep that at all, his barn name is Koda, (from the Dakota) and his show name is now Aftershock, looking to change his registered name to Nightwind's Aftershock (Nightwind being the farm that bred him).

Divine Comedy
Jul. 18, 2012, 10:27 AM
I'm with Nomini, I prefer themes.

Now, I only have the one horse currently, and no plans for another, but I like to think about possible names for my next one. I go along a literary theme, with the title of the book as their show name and the name of the author or character from the book as a barn name.

Current horse is Divine Comedy, called Dante.

Not sharing my next ones, they're a secret, lol.

purplnurpl
Jul. 18, 2012, 10:39 AM
I know that lots of WB dressage horses go by their fancy "starts with dad's initial" names. (a) Is there any kind of pattern for event horse names and (b) do people stick anywhere close to Jockey Club names? Or is it just a free-for-all?

I don't consider names discipline related.

Whether dressage, SJ or eventer some registries have rules and if the horses are registered the name *should* follow those rules.

As for JC--I always thought that owners tried to pick a name that was inclusive of sire/dam lines if possible.

But if you have a horse with no registry and you don't care then you get to do what you want!!

For instance--I wanted to name my horses after video games.
The first horse for that idea was Kaboom.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaboom!_(video_game)

I wanted to name my next horse Arcade but that will never happen because I'm now stuck with always using names that start with the letter "S" due to ATA rules.

ACMEeventing
Jul. 18, 2012, 10:49 AM
My next one is going to be "Catch and Release", barn name Guppie? Tuna? Sal? (for Salmon?)... I'll have to wait till I get a "next" one and see what their personality is, I suppose. :winkgrin:

How about "Catch and Ride"? :lol:
Puffer fish?
Sharkbait????

What a fun theme :)

tle
Jul. 18, 2012, 11:01 AM
I was told when I bought Char (no papers) that her race name was Lady Chardinan. Uh... no. After a couple years of research, her race name was Tippateena. UGH!! I HATED it ... until I figured out that Tippateena's was a jazz club somewhere in a seedy area of New Orleans. She was by Sing Sing by Stop the Music. When I tried to breed her to Fred, I had a name all picked out that was musically related too! But that was ME doing it, not necessarily following some dumb rules.

Frankie was raced as Hey Baby Hey. I gave her the barn name Frankie and when Suzie bought her she started showing her as Let's Be Frank.

As an announcer, this is precisely the reason I never announced at dressage shows! I figure if I don't speek German, Dutch or French, then there's no way I should be messing with the dressage shows. ;)

Wholehearted
Jul. 18, 2012, 11:18 AM
I kept mine's show name as his JC name, Crack the Latch because I kind of like it. It's a bull-riding term for how once you crack the latch the bull explodes out of the pen (though thankfully, mine is not as explosive as a bull). His barn name is Caileb.

LSM1212
Jul. 18, 2012, 12:02 PM
I have a registered Appendix QH. He is an "Artful Move" baby (famous QH sire) so all his offspring have "Art" in there somewhere.

His registered name is "Bachelor of Arts". I'm fine with it. :) Kinda classy. His barn name is Stitch. How he got that, I have no idea as he came with it. But I've kept it. It's definitely unique. :winkgrin:

Bensmom
Jul. 18, 2012, 12:44 PM
Choosing a name is always fun!

I have only one OTTB that I kept the Jockey Club name for -- Sam is by Dixieland Band, and his name is Southern Shuffle, and what little showing he's done was under his TB name.

Ben's AQHA name is Heza Pelican Bay, which, though he was born in a small town in North Florida which is adjacent to a large bay, and he is bay in color, I just hated. He got named Longneck Bottle for USEA purposes when we started showing and the Garth Brooks song of the same name was popular -- I think I said "LET GO OF MY HAND!!" to him in dressage work so many times, that I sounded like a line from the song . . . :lol: and he looks like a longneck bud bottle, so it really fit.

Taz came to me with a different USEA name, but once I tracked him down to his prior owner in NZ, I began to use the name he had evented under down under -- I like The Wylie Coyote much better, and it is a tribute to the owner that found him in a pen awaiting the knacker's truck to pick him up and evented him through the CCI* level, as her last name is Wylie.

My Hungarian mare is H. Wineglass Shiraz, and I will plan to keep that one in order to promote the breeder's lovely lovely horses. Wineglass is her farm name and each horse has a wine related name.

Our newest OTTB is Rare Hyde on her JC papers. I don't particularly care for that, so she will be Mischief Managed if she shows with us (right now, I just want her to gain weight -- I feel like a grandma, constantly going Eat! Eat!! you are too skinny! ;) ) and her barn name is Lilly, as she came without one.

I love finding the perfect name and I love the typefont names suggested above. I also love anything with a theme, but haven't stuck with any one theme around here. They seem to name themselves after a little while :)

Have fun with it!

Debbie
Jul. 18, 2012, 01:55 PM
I just bought a lovely mare from Fingerlakes. Her JC name is A.P. Light. I asked the owner/trainer what he called her. "AP" He said it like duh, what else would call her. Cracked me up. I'm going with Sadie as a barn name.

Far_North_Equestrian
Jul. 18, 2012, 02:57 PM
I'm glad we have no silly naming rules :)

My old appy was registered as Dial's Licorice Twist... yuck. Changed it to Sugar High (A: it fit. She was pretty peppy B: Obsure movie reference) not like we ever made it our showing before I sold her - but that's a whole other story!

Felix is Ice Age. Pretty obvious, my best friend took one look at him and said "he looks like a cave painting!".

I was on another forum griping about people who name their horse after the latest and greatest pop culture referece - there's a million Harry Potter references and so on running around the events up here, and definitely a few Twilight references. It came to me that "Pop Culture Reference" would be an awesome show name (feel free to steal it, I'll probably never get a chance to use it).

Heinz 57
Jul. 18, 2012, 03:16 PM
Mine (those left, anyway) are interesting. My mare is certainly very dressage-y, registered (Westphalian) as Honigbar. I can't say I'm in love with it, but since her barn name is Honeybear, well.... we're stuck with it.

The (OT)TB is Kansi La. It's a good thing he's a big, hulking, masculine boy, because a lesser man wouldn't be able to pull off such a girly name. He's been mistaken for a mare more than once at shows.

gr8fulrider
Jul. 18, 2012, 03:41 PM
I'm feeling empowered by this "do whateverthehellyouwant" spirit.

I've changed a name once before--- I showed my last OTTB (JC Gypsy Kate) as "With Sprinkles" and her new owner shows her as Katybug.

Was feeling sort of uptight about this one for some reason.

So-- her JC name has "Brazil" in it so I thought of:

Ipanema
Bem Casado (a cookie served at Brazilian Weddings)
State of Wonder (a novel set in Brazil).

I like the last one best and was on the verge of ordering a halter plate when I realized I've gotten kind of attached to her JC name even though I would not have picked it myself. I have no idea why they chose it-- Brazilian Wedding by Milwaukee Brew out of Lady in Tails by Black Tie Affair??? Does anybody know if they drink Pabst Blue Ribbon at fancy parties in Sao Paulo????

It has no meaning out of context but as I tried to find a replacement I realized that for me, it's come to mean "I knew from the first moment."

I felt that way about my husband too, and I didn't change his name. :D

Her barn name is Ms. Brazil, which I think is kind of cute. His barn name is Dave, which is the human equivalent of Star, Rocket, Buddy, Chance, or Cody. There's one in every riding program. He's usually the safest and most stubborn one...

tle
Jul. 18, 2012, 03:49 PM
I was on another forum griping about people who name their horse after the latest and greatest pop culture referece - there's a million Harry Potter references and so on running around the events up here, and definitely a few Twilight references. It came to me that "Pop Culture Reference" would be an awesome show name (feel free to steal it, I'll probably never get a chance to use it).

Well, I'm one that they'd be complaining about I guess. I don't see a thing wrong with pop culture references. In fact some of the best (IMHO) names I have stored in the back of my mind for future horses are pop culture references... including Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Battlestar Galactica and Survivor. Heck my dog's name is a pop culture reference -- Adama's Watchtower. I'm sure if I thought about it I could probably come up with one I liked that would refer to The Hunger Games too. Not a thing wrong with it IMHO. :D

Riverotter
Jul. 18, 2012, 04:05 PM
LOL, you guys are terrifying me a little! I've got a lovely little filly who was bred for eventing and I have to come up with a registered name for her, for the Connemara registry. I'm trying to come up with something that will also work for her for competition and be a good barn name as well - I'm not the type to stick a bunch of names on a horse, one for show, one for breeding, one at home, etc.

Only time will tell if she stays to breed/compete with me or goes to higher levels with someone else, and I hate the thought of 5 years from now someone staring at her papers thinking "Uhg, what was she thinking? Quick, help me come up with something GOOD!"

magicteetango
Jul. 18, 2012, 04:44 PM
Gr8ful, loved that mare in the Retired Racehorse Challenge! Congrats on getting her! It is a different name but catchy, I think you should keep it!

As far as names are concerned, when I do go to show my mare's JC name is Mean Irene... no idea if I will use it or not. I love the idea of having a theme for horse names but no idea where to start with that.

GotSpots
Jul. 18, 2012, 05:01 PM
Do what you want on names, I figure. Definitely no rules.

Heck, my horses almost always have just one, simple, name for both barn and show, and usually it's whatever they came with. For someof mine we either don't know their registered name (for example, my older horse came with two sets of papers) or we've been calling them by the barn name so much that we are loathe to change it for the ring. I keep thinking I should do something slick for the new 4 year old, but haven't come up with anything sufficiently cute or fitting, and in the meantime, he got a stall plate and a leather halter and I think that's likely the end of any further name search! Easy to pronounce, anyway...

Nomini
Jul. 18, 2012, 06:09 PM
Nomini, I've heard a lot about you from my good friend LoriB, who posted some wonderful pictures of your beautiful Cava at Waredaca a couple of years ago. I remember because I asked Lori if you'd notice if I stole her. :D

Haha aww thanks! That's very nice of you. LoriB could make a one-eared donkey look like a million bucks in her pictures. Pretty sure I would notice, considering she was a resale project like 4 years ago and I still haven't even advertised her!

shea'smom
Jul. 18, 2012, 06:45 PM
WishNwell, you got the most gorgeous Kenny Run?!? How I coveted him when his picture first appeared. How's he doing?

I got two young TBs. Both have barfy names. One's dam is On A Broomstick, so I thought of Chim Chiminey for him.
the other has nothing in his pedigree. I call him Remus, as in Professor Lupin and have been looking for a Harry Potterish name for him.

I can't even come up with a name for the tiny black boy kitty I rescued. I need to, before he is stuck with Bitty Little Boy Kitty.

Far_North_Equestrian
Jul. 20, 2012, 12:25 PM
Well, I'm one that they'd be complaining about I guess. I don't see a thing wrong with pop culture references. In fact some of the best (IMHO) names I have stored in the back of my mind for future horses are pop culture references... including Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Battlestar Galactica and Survivor. Heck my dog's name is a pop culture reference -- Adama's Watchtower. I'm sure if I thought about it I could probably come up with one I liked that would refer to The Hunger Games too. Not a thing wrong with it IMHO. :D

Not at all - what bothers me is the unimagintiveness - when there are 4 different horses named simply "Harry Potter" or "Edward Cullen" etc. it's silly. Older/more obscure/More creative gets you bonus points in my books - Like if you're going to do a Harry Potter reference - name the horse Norbert, or Patronus, or something!

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 20, 2012, 12:31 PM
Not at all - what bothers me is the unimagintiveness - when there are 4 different horses named simply "Harry Potter" or "Edward Cullen" etc. it's silly. Older/more obscure/More creative gets you bonus points in my books - Like if you're going to do a Harry Potter reference - name the horse Norbert, or Patronus, or something!

I had harry potter names for a few horses (I like Patronus...but knew a mare with that name--had a mouse named Norbert before the books came out too). I had a Gryffindor (it really suited that boy....RIP unfortunately), Seeker, Quidditch, Diagon Alley, Gringotts and Nimbus. And still own Muggle. We named him that as a joke for a FEH class...and the bugger won it and ended up Grand Champion that year...so the name stuck.:lol: It suits him anyway....

NErider
Jul. 20, 2012, 01:16 PM
My last OTTB's registered name was Redwood Creek, barn name Reggae (sister named him, he came off the trailer with dreads and a "hey, whatever man" attitude). I showed him under Redwood Creek, it just fit him, classy. Helps that there is a moderately priced wine with the same name we'd buy for any excuse, "oh Regs did a nice test, let's buy a bottle of wine!"

My current OTTB...his JC name is Fort Huachuca. His dad is Yankee Fan and his mom is Fort Omaha.

Can you imagine someone trying to announce Ft. Huachuca??? So my dad gave me some musical options and Adagio stuck, he wanted us to take things slow and easy ;)

I think our show name will be Adagio Forte, the horse comes from rather humble origins so we figured he deserves a fancy little name!

tle
Jul. 20, 2012, 03:21 PM
Can you imagine someone trying to announce Ft. Huachuca???

That would be easy... but then I was in the Army for 8 years. :)

VicariousRider
Jul. 20, 2012, 03:40 PM
Gr8ful: That filly is lovely!!!

Of course you can name her whatever you want (and your proposed names are great!). The only thing I would suggest you think about is the fact that she got some nice publicity from the Challenge - I certainly know the name now! If you are thinking of selling her that might be a good accomplishment on her resume. Of course, you can just tell them you changed the name since.

Anyhow, good luck deciding and I hope you are enjoying her!

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 20, 2012, 03:48 PM
I'm feeling empowered by this "do whateverthehellyouwant" spirit.

I've changed a name once before--- I showed my last OTTB (JC Gypsy Kate) as "With Sprinkles" and her new owner shows her as Katybug.

Was feeling sort of uptight about this one for some reason.

So-- her JC name has "Brazil" in it so I thought of:

Ipanema
Bem Casado (a cookie served at Brazilian Weddings)
State of Wonder (a novel set in Brazil).

I like the last one best and was on the verge of ordering a halter plate when I realized I've gotten kind of attached to her JC name even though I would not have picked it myself. I have no idea why they chose it-- Brazilian Wedding by Milwaukee Brew out of Lady in Tails by Black Tie Affair??? Does anybody know if they drink Pabst Blue Ribbon at fancy parties in Sao Paulo????

It has no meaning out of context but as I tried to find a replacement I realized that for me, it's come to mean "I knew from the first moment."

I felt that way about my husband too, and I didn't change his name. :D

Her barn name is Ms. Brazil, which I think is kind of cute. His barn name is Dave, which is the human equivalent of Star, Rocket, Buddy, Chance, or Cody. There's one in every riding program. He's usually the safest and most stubborn one...

I'd keep Brazilian Wedding. That isn't a bad JC name. now...I'm doing a PPE on a horse called Golden Gams. Yeah...that name I wont keep...but kept Rockstina for my other mare.

gr8fulrider
Jul. 20, 2012, 03:53 PM
Gr8ful: That filly is lovely!!!

Of course you can name her whatever you want (and your proposed names are great!). The only thing I would suggest you think about is the fact that she got some nice publicity from the Challenge - I certainly know the name now! If you are thinking of selling her that might be a good accomplishment on her resume. Of course, you can just tell them you changed the name since.

Anyhow, good luck deciding and I hope you are enjoying her!

Thanks! I am never ever ever ever ever ever selling her. Ever. :yes:

Actually the trainer challenge was making me worry that when we show up at an unrecognized BN event people will see me and my fat butt flopping around on her and think "what a waste of that pretty mare." I was thinking of changing her name to "no one you know" and getting her one of those plastic Groucho Marx nose/glasses/mustache combos.

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 20, 2012, 03:55 PM
Thanks! I am never ever ever ever ever ever selling her. Ever. :yes:

Actually the trainer challenge was making me worry that when we show up at an unrecognized BN event people will see me and my fat butt flopping around on her and think "what a waste of that pretty mare.".

No one will think that...people will just be happy she found herself a good person.

gr8fulrider
Jul. 20, 2012, 04:10 PM
No one will think that...people will just be happy she found herself a good person.

Awww. In that case I won't change her name and we won't go incognito. FWIW if these wonderful OTTBs are going to get the recognition they deserve they have to appeal to the ammy owners like me who are most of the horse market. She is definitely an ambassador for that. Very kind, clever, generous-hearted mare.

NErider
Jul. 20, 2012, 04:29 PM
That would be easy... but then I was in the Army for 8 years. :)

Like! The only people who knew what his name meant were my Dad (Army years ago) and my BF (Army) lol.

Fred
Jul. 20, 2012, 08:46 PM
Awww. In that case I won't change her name and we won't go incognito. FWIW if these wonderful OTTBs are going to get the recognition they deserve they have to appeal to the ammy owners like me who are most of the horse market. She is definitely an ambassador for that. Very kind, clever, generous-hearted mare.

Everytime I read one of your posts gr8fulrider, I keep looking for the 'like' button.
No, make that 'love'.:yes:

I like the name Brazilian Wedding too.

Fred
Jul. 20, 2012, 08:56 PM
IF either the sire or dam was/is very well known or passes on successful qualities, then I feel it's a sign of respect to horse/breeder/farm to somehow incorporate the name into the offspring's show name, IF the sire/dam/farm name is known.

That said, I can't think of anything to add to "Vida" to include something to do with romance (yet) other than "Romance" or "Romanza" so for now, she'll just show as Vida. Although "Vida Romance" doesn't sound too bad.

I like Vida Romance just fine! ;)

If the horse has a JC name I like to see that name kept, mainly so that pedigrees can be tracked, and our good TBs acknowledged.
That being said, with the naming regulations of the JC, sometimes the names can be doozies, and I can understand someone wanting to change it.

I am pleased to see horses by my horse having 'fine' or 'romance' in their names,and am grateful to their breeders for doing so.
Sometimes they are named things that relate to their sire, but are not quite so identifiable, such as Landmark's Ginger Rogers or Jack of Hearts.
Sometimes the registered name gets changed to *something like* 'South Bound' and there is no connection at all.

VicariousRider
Jul. 20, 2012, 09:16 PM

No need to go incognito! The ammy tribe is the foundation of our sport and I totally agree with BFNE's take: you sound like a great owner that she will be lucky to have. My mare could have probably done more with another rider but she has lived a cush life with me. At the end of the day I think she prefers cush over accomplishments. I keep her plenty challenged! :winkgrin:

OTTBs are great and I'm thrilled you have found such a great partner!

P.S.: Welcome to the mare club! They are smart and have a special place in my heart. We're all a little complicated but worth the effort.

billiebob
Jul. 20, 2012, 10:43 PM
If I ever show my boy, I'm probably going to stick with his JC name--Bobby D. Although I have considered showing him under the most common comment on his race record.......Failed to Menace. I'm a little worried that would be too prophetic and I'd curse myself! It makes me giggle, though.

There is a small palomino pony at my barn that I've been trying to convince the BO to show under I'm Lucky I'm Cute. Definitely has a napoleon complex, that one!

ETA gr8fulrider, I love your new mare and her name, too! You must be having such a blast with her!

fanfayre
Jul. 21, 2012, 01:54 AM
I like Vida Romance just fine! ;)

Then that's what she'll be shown under after her first event, then! She's entered just as "Vida" for her 1st event in 3 weeks, though, as I wasn't sure if anything else was too ostentatious to use for a debut.

Rabtfarm
Jul. 21, 2012, 11:45 AM
I have always liked somewhat theme-atic horse names: I remember some eventor Paints called Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams. I have enjoyed videotaping a chestnut with some flake sized white spots called Chance of Flurries. My daughter has always amused herself with a James Bond theme; I always liked Dr. No as a name along those lines. She also thought of names that would be announcer's favorites like "so and so riding Better than You", "In first Place" or "Butt Off Course". I think a gelding named Absolutely Knackered would be a haha; my grandmother named her fixed cat The Baron.

If I ever had a mare her name would be Lady Cardsdowne...

Far_North_Equestrian
Jul. 21, 2012, 11:54 AM
I have always liked somewhat theme-atic horse names: I remember some eventor Paints called Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams.

I know a couple of eventing paints too - one is a black and white mare with the barn name Cow and her show name is Dairy Queen. She got her picture taken several years ago next to a jump sponsored by DQ. It was really cute :)

runwayz
Jul. 22, 2012, 01:53 AM
My guys JC name is Cover Magic, which I will keep. I will add a JC in front of it. I think we should add that for all the OTTB's to recognize them in thier new careers. :) JC Cover Magic, I think it has a nice ring to it.

gr8fulrider
Jul. 22, 2012, 11:11 AM
Love the paint names. I think it'd be cute to have an app type pony named Short Spot.

LoveMyCharlie
Jul. 24, 2012, 03:22 AM
My OTTB's JC name is Eye Catcher (or so I arm almost 100% sure, he's got crazy freckles all around his tattoo and its damned near impossible to read) and he truly is an Eye Catcher but he's such a modest boy I didn't think it fit him. When I first got him they told me his name was Oscar *cringe* he was not an Oscar, so I renamed him Charlie, and his show name is Charles Asher THD.

Charles Asher is the main character in my all time favorite book: A Dirty Job by the wonderful Christopher Moore and the THD was my trainers idea because he was Two-Hundred Delivered hahaha

Dylemma
Aug. 1, 2012, 03:52 AM

Now I am desperate to buy a chestnut mare and name her Girl On Fire :cool:

sophie
Aug. 1, 2012, 07:10 AM
I actually like the French Selle Fran├žais studbook system, where the first letter of the horse's name tells you how old he/she is.

For instance, the French horse who took Bronze this year, Opgun Louvo, is 10 years old. All SF horses born in 2002 had to have a name starting with O.

Noonday de Conde, the SF mare who won the Dressage, is a N horse, so 2001. And so on.

Makes for interesting name searching when you HAVE to use a specific first letter.

gr8fulrider
Aug. 1, 2012, 11:12 AM
Now I am desperate to buy a chestnut mare and name her Girl On Fire :cool:

Freaking awesome.

I love The Hunger Games and if I could afford a second horse I would love to find a name from it:

District 12
Effie Trinket
Girl on Fire
Finnick Odair (books 2 and 3, for an Irish horse)
Career Tribute
Primrose

Electrikk
Aug. 1, 2012, 06:30 PM
Freaking awesome.

I love The Hunger Games and if I could afford a second horse I would love to find a name from it:

District 12
Effie Trinket
Girl on Fire
Finnick Odair (books 2 and 3, for an Irish horse)
Career Tribute
Primrose

Girl on Fire would be such an awesome name for a sassy chestnut mare.
And I can just picture the theoretical Finnick Odair-I imagine he'd be a a big gray Irish-bred horse who isn't really phased by anything, except he'd have a strange fear of something like goats...

Coming from hunterland, I love reading all your horses' names! My poor mare is named Unforgettable, which is quite a name to live up too... most of the time, we're unforgettable for the wrong reasons...

Dylemma
Aug. 1, 2012, 06:45 PM
I like Effie Trinket!

Other HG ones I was thinking of are:

Mockingjay (or I Am The Mockingjay)
Nightlock
Let The Games Begin

I still like Girl On Fire the best though... maybe when I'm looking for a horse in a few months I'll find a nice chestnut mare!

Also really want to name a horse Defying Gravity (from Wicked).

AlterEgoME
Aug. 1, 2012, 07:08 PM

Agree 100%. Don't change her name.

AlterEgoME
Aug. 1, 2012, 07:10 PM
My guys JC name is Cover Magic, which I will keep. I will add a JC in front of it. I think we should add that for all the OTTB's to recognize them in thier new careers. :) JC Cover Magic, I think it has a nice ring to it.

Well now there's an interesting idea.

Hony
Aug. 1, 2012, 08:31 PM
Since we're talking about names and track names in particular would it be ok to ask what everyone thinks of my newest off track horse's name?
It's "Alone am I"
He's by Old Forrester, out of Soon to be Single. When I got him his barn name was Single but I call him Woody. I was thinking of renaming him The Woodsman.
Thoughts?

NCRider
Aug. 1, 2012, 08:34 PM
I like "Alone Am I". It sounds mischievous.

gr8fulrider
Aug. 1, 2012, 08:41 PM
I like Effie Trinket!

Other HG ones I was thinking of are:

Mockingjay (or I Am The Mockingjay)
Nightlock
Let The Games Begin

I still like Girl On Fire the best though... maybe when I'm looking for a horse in a few months I'll find a nice chestnut mare!

Also really want to name a horse Defying Gravity (from Wicked).
Girl on Fire really is the best one. Mockingjay is pretty great too. Now you need two new mares!

Simbalism
Aug. 2, 2012, 01:34 AM
I named my Tb mare (bred for sport-not registered) with a nod to her sire. He was Simbalu, her show name is Simbalism. Her barn name is Marty-she was born on one of the kid's (that boarded at the farm) birthday and she was named after the little girl. Sometimes I affectionately call her "blonde in another life" when she does something goofy.

Catie79
Aug. 2, 2012, 12:45 PM
The eventers are pretty creative and I like the sense of humor and the way anything goes. I've seen a 'Daddy Doesn't Know' running about, and that one cracks me up. Then I go to my dressage shows and I have no idea how the announcer gets those names right. The breed rules lead to some very interesting vowel combinations. I kind of want to see a big, glorious, talented warmblood with the name Bob. Or Gus.

My horse's show name is easy for them to pronounce. Can't Drive 55. She sticks out a bit at the dressage shows but the announcers at events have a lot of fun with that name. She isn't registered and I hated the name she came with (Miss Savannah? Really?). My trainer's husband said she was like a little red sports car when she arrived, so she got a car name. She's Fiona around the barn, as in the red headed, kick butt princess in Shrek. It fits.

My only rule is that it has to be something that can be pronounced by most announcers. I don't like to come up with something that will make them struggle. I tossed around Pista di Fiorano (a test track for Ferrari) for Fiona but abandoned it because it was too hard to pronounce. My previous horse was named All In Good Time, another easy one. Though we're trying to get someone at the barn to pick 'Like a Drunken Monkey' for a show name. Then the announcer can say 'next is John Doe riding Like a Drunken Monkey'.

tle
Aug. 2, 2012, 02:11 PM
My only rule is that it has to be something that can be pronounced by most announcers.

THANK YOU!! That is exactly why I have in the past declined to announce at big dressage shows -- I don't speak French, German or Dutch so I'd end up mumbling a lot! :lol:

The single horse in almost 15 years of announcing that still sticks with me was this big black gelding running Training named "Death Sentence". :eek: Why in the world would you name a horse that, much less compete under that name?? :no:

kateh
Sep. 23, 2012, 02:38 AM
Since we're talking about names and track names in particular would it be ok to ask what everyone thinks of my newest off track horse's name?
It's "Alone am I"
He's by Old Forrester, out of Soon to be Single. When I got him his barn name was Single but I call him Woody. I was thinking of renaming him The Woodsman.
Thoughts?

Personally I'd be worried to go on course with a horse that wants to be alone!! :winkgrin:

ReveilleandRinsie
Sep. 23, 2012, 03:45 AM
The eventers are pretty creative and I like the sense of humor and the way anything goes. I've seen a 'Daddy Doesn't Know' running about, and that one cracks me up.

Daddy Doesn't Know is a darling pony, and fun to ride! I tried him a while ago, and what a character. Deserves a fun name!

My only rule is that it has to be something that can be pronounced by most announcers.

Hear, hear. It's the only reason I haven't used Indefatigable for a horse yet. I love that name, and Shillelagh Law, but they'd mangled. It was bad enough with a Reveille!

Rackonteur
Sep. 23, 2012, 03:59 AM
How about "Catch and Ride"? :lol:
Puffer fish?
Sharkbait????

What a fun theme :)

Catch 'n' Go
Amberjack
Ketch 'n' Go
Catch a Wave (an old Beach Boys song?)

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Sep. 23, 2012, 10:22 AM

My mare is Spellbound, I won Loyal Pal semen in the Auction for Aiden, Pal died 15 days after conception, and the filly was born clearly going to be grey - I had no choice but to name her Patronus! :)