PDA

View Full Version : XC Flag Question

sam1979
Jul. 14, 2012, 10:49 PM
Hi-

I recently walked a xc course (at a low key schooling ht) and I noticed the some of the fences were flagged in such a way that got me thinking... not always a good thing :winkgrin:

Some of the fences were built in such a way that the N, BN, and Green Bean were side by side ( almost like steps). They were all numbered according to division. This much I have seen before. The part that got my mind turning was how they were flagged. For example, one had the red flag beside the N and the white flag beside the Green Bean. So there were three different level fences between the same set of flags even though each level fence was numbered differently. Not all the side by side fences were flagged this way...just a handful.

So my question is..... If i present my horse at the N level jump and he veers and jumps the BN level fence, will that count as an off course?

Thanks for any in sight.

deltawave
Jul. 14, 2012, 11:11 PM
So my question is..... If i present my horse at the N level jump and he veers and jumps the BN level fence, will that count as an off course?

I'd say if your horse does that you're not ready to be showing, however, if there was really only ONE set of red and white flags, I would speak to the TD. Probably an argument could be made that jumping anything would "count", but that is most certainly not how jumps should be flagged. I would have to see where the numbers were and the rules require we jump "numbered obstacles in sequence", so there's a lot of potential confusion there.

When in doubt, always jump the ones you're supposed to jump, and there can never be any doubt. But I would be running for the TD with sloppy flagging like that.

sam1979
Jul. 14, 2012, 11:20 PM
Thanks...:)

groom
Jul. 15, 2012, 12:03 AM
I've seen flagging done like that intentionally so you can chose to challenge your horse, or not, but still get around.

rabicon
Jul. 15, 2012, 12:34 AM
I have seen some schooling shows do this xc. Let's rider feel horse and take smaller jump if they need to as a learning experience. Never at rayed shows just schooling

Blugal
Jul. 15, 2012, 03:03 AM
The flags may get moved as the divisions change - so I would plan to jump my own jump.

enjoytheride
Jul. 15, 2012, 08:24 AM
Many schooling shows I have been to have flagging that way so you can challenge your horse or take it easy and school. Plan on jumping your jump anyway because that's your level and the flags might move, if they don't it will not be counted against you if you jump the smaller fence.

glfprncs
Jul. 15, 2012, 10:15 AM
I ran training level at a spring Fair Hill many, many moons ago, and a few of the prelim and training fences that were side by side were flagged so that you could jump the prelim side if you'd like. Since we were moving up to prelim a few weeks after, I chose to jump the prelim side (there were only 2 fences flagged that way) since it was legal for me to do so.

fooler
Jul. 15, 2012, 06:12 PM
Schooling competitions have the luxury of being flexible with the rules.

Each fence must be flagged individually at recognized events. However schooling events will flag some side-by-side fences allowing competitors to choose which to take.

When in doubt - at schooling events speak to the organizer and/or TD (schooling events may not have a TD).

sam1979
Jul. 15, 2012, 07:48 PM
Thanks everybody! I figured it was a way to be flexible for the green horses.

By the way my horse rocked today. We got our best score yet... a 27. That included two 9s... on my left lead depart and circle. Our left lead has been a real struggle for us in the past. XC was great too. We went clean (i jumped all the correct fences... no veering:yes:)

Thanks again.

Dakotawyatt
Jul. 15, 2012, 08:43 PM
Thanks everybody! I figured it was a way to be flexible for the green horses.

By the way my horse rocked today. We got our best score yet... a 27. That included two 9s... on my left lead depart and circle. Our left lead has been a real struggle for us in the past. XC was great too. We went clean (i jumped all the correct fences... no veering:yes:)

Thanks again.

Congrats for a great day! I have yet to score in the 20's ... :winkgrin:

rabicon
Jul. 15, 2012, 08:47 PM
Congrats. Hope my greenie rocks his first show half that well lol