PDA

View Full Version : Anyone at Rebecca Farm Today?

Retropony
Jul. 14, 2012, 09:26 PM
What the heck happened in the Advanced divison?

NerdyElf
Jul. 15, 2012, 11:28 PM
The Hanging Brush happened. I might be brave enough to post videos once they are all up. No horrific horse crashes, but multiple horses went into the ditch instead of over, as well as a fall or two afterwards.

The ambulance (horse and human) did not have to be called for this fence. I think there was only one time during the day when the ambulance has to be called (I was there from 10:30 - 6:30) and I believe that was during the CIC*. The lady was okay, and the horse was fine, I believe.

I can't speak for the rest of the course since I was photographing/videoing that specific jump, but it was quite intense. I was shaking just watching.

This is my first post here, I'm both scared and excited.

Judysmom
Jul. 15, 2012, 11:34 PM
This is my first post here, I'm both scared and excited.

Welcome!

Zu Zu
Jul. 16, 2012, 12:19 AM
I second that WELCOME !

Relax ~ great first post ~ impressive contribution ~

Enjoy coth ~ glad you're here ~

Sonoma City
Jul. 16, 2012, 07:48 AM
Which fence number was this?

three_dayer
Jul. 16, 2012, 01:14 PM
It was a very large brush fence going down a hill with quite a large ditch and a drop behind. I think that some of the greener horses couldn't read it quite right so they tried to bounce it which isn't a good thing. Even my very bold horse took a peek and a leap, which means i ended up hailing a taxi(that was fun) the 4* horses didn't even blink at it. It was quite an adventure :) sorry I can't remember the fence number.

monstrpony
Jul. 16, 2012, 05:06 PM
There's a picture of this fence on EN. It looks to me like it would be a bit of an illusion to a horse. I can kind of see how they could misjudge it. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Calvincrowe
Jul. 16, 2012, 05:08 PM
I do not event, but SIL does and she showed me the fence on EN...gulp:eek:! That is one scary looking obstacle!! I can definitely see how it would cause trouble. Ian Stark's course was tough from all reports.

lesyl
Jul. 16, 2012, 05:18 PM
I wish I had been there - My mom lives about 3 miles away and I always beg her to go. and nope she doesn't even though she loves horses.

NerdyElf
Jul. 16, 2012, 05:56 PM
http://youtu.be/U9SWWwty0d0

This is two of the many videos I took on Saturday. The first one is the 3* going well, and the second one is a wreck on a (slightly) lower level though I can not remember which division. I am hoping to get all the videos up on youtube within a few days.

The other stops were similar, though this one is the worst. Two of the advanced horses ducked out through the ditch, one just happend to do so more eloquently, twice. One fall was after the fence.

I actually managed to video all but one of the wrecks. I think my camera may be unlucky.

The jump number was 12 or 8? I can't be sure. I believe it was the jump before the Sunken Road.

I am very interested to see if this jump has some changes for next year. Ian Stark was watching it for a majority of the day.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

ACMEeventing
Jul. 16, 2012, 06:14 PM
That 2nd horse definitely misread the question. Glad everyone's okay.

I wonder what it was that made them think "bounce"?

ACMEeventing
Jul. 16, 2012, 06:16 PM
Oh, and welcome NerdyElf! Thanks for sharing :)

RAyers
Jul. 16, 2012, 06:23 PM
The fence is a modified Weldon's Wall or "Ditch and Bank."

From what I can tell, the first rider was James Atkinson (easy to tell his riding style).

From the horses' perspective, with the open bottom of the back, the approach makes it look like a bounce to the horse. The eye comes down to the base of the back. There is nothing to draw the horse's eye UP to the top of the back. The rider has to be up and keeping the horse's head up (not by pulling though).

Watch James' approach and where his horse is looking and then look at the second horse.

monstrpony
Jul. 17, 2012, 11:17 AM
The fence is a modified Weldon's Wall or "Ditch and Bank."

From what I can tell, the first rider was James Atkinson (easy to tell his riding style).

From the horses' perspective, with the open bottom of the back, the approach makes it look like a bounce to the horse. The eye comes down to the base of the back. There is nothing to draw the horse's eye UP to the top of the back. The rider has to be up and keeping the horse's head up (not by pulling though).

Watch James' approach and where his horse is looking and then look at the second horse.

This is exactly what I was thinking; the space at the bottom creates a false ground line that is much further out than the fence actually is. If the horse is looking at this, they see a bigger space between the top of the ditch and the base of the fence. Definitely a tricky one!