PDA

View Full Version : Composting setups

StoneLily
Jul. 14, 2012, 07:02 PM
For those who compost their manure, can you describe your setups? I'd like to start doing this at our place and I'm having trouble finding decent looking plans. Thanks!

mkevent
Jul. 14, 2012, 07:50 PM
Here is a picture of my setup. I have 4 boxes I made from cinderblocks. I put the fresh manure in the first box and when that fills up, I move it to the second box with the front loader and so on until it reaches the fourth box.

There are some good plans online from the Penn State website.
http://farsidefarm.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=121899037

Calvincrowe
Jul. 14, 2012, 07:58 PM
Mr. CC just finished our refurbished "on the cheap" manure bin. My dream would be a concrete-floored, roofed 3 bin building, but instead I have:

18 x 8 foot 3 sided structure made from power poles the county gave us when they were replacing them on our road (free!!). They are stacked, log-cabin style, notched and held in place with metal posts wired together at the top and middle.

I put fresh on one end, turn it like hell (about every 3-5 days), and move it to the middle after about one month. I then begin a 'fresh' pile on the end, turning that one and the middle pile, as the middle pile finishes, I put it on the far end and move everything over.

I've not had to cover mine, but should when it gets super rainy here. I use pelleted bedding and keep extra hay out of the pile, as it composts so much slower (IME). I then post on CL in April and people show up and take all my finished, black, loamy stuff away!:)

I have photos on my Iphone, need to upload soon.

Tom King
Jul. 14, 2012, 08:04 PM
Mine takes longer, but results are as good with much less work. I put it in windrows and turn it with the front end loader when I think about it. Sometimes only every 6 months. It's good after 2 years and then I put it in piles with this years stuff in rows. I separate the piles by years, and start new ones in the fall. Anything that Pam doesn't use after it's finished, I spread on poor spots in a pasture. With 7 horses, we get tons per year, and it tests perfect for everything.