PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Water Bucket Repair?

Jynx
Jul. 14, 2012, 01:13 PM
Hi!

I have lots of plastic water pails that have cracks in them from ice removal (remember "ice?") in the winter. Do anyone know of a way to patch them?

Thanks!

D Taylor
Jul. 14, 2012, 01:39 PM
Ice...oh yeah that stuff.

I have repaired smallish leaks with various patches. They never hold once winter and freeze/thaw returns.

But there is hope. If you have buckets for horses, then you have horse poo. Scatter the leaky buckets in the garden and flower beds at strategic locations. Fill 2/3 full of horse poo add water until they are full and let them leak away. Presto. Slow drain watering and fertilizing....

hosspuller
Jul. 14, 2012, 01:45 PM
hot melt glue gun. The tip is hot enough to melt the poly of the bucket. Plus swirl a bit of the glue into the melting bucket to weld the edges together. The key is melting the bucket material more than applying glue to the bucket.

tangledweb
Jul. 14, 2012, 02:45 PM
If you've got a lot to do, you could get a plastic welder.

http://www.amazon.com/Urethane-Supply-Company-Mini-Weld-Airless/dp/B001DIHDHG/ref=pd_sim_auto_1

That would be the best way to do it, but unless you have a heaps, plus a car bumper, plus an urge to make PVC jumps it's probably not worth it.

Tom King
Jul. 14, 2012, 06:08 PM
3M DP100

DaisyH
Jul. 15, 2012, 12:51 PM
Look in the phone book or Google "plastic welding" and you can usually find a local person to do this job for a very reasonable price. They can also weld plastic wheelbarrows,shovels, etc. so it might be worthwhile to take bunch of stuff at once.

saultgirl
Jul. 15, 2012, 01:53 PM
Toss them out and buy rubber buckets. Or the Fortiflex plastic buckets - I have found those to be extremely durable, down to -30C.

Equibrit
Jul. 15, 2012, 02:12 PM
You'd spend more fixing them than buying more. Toss 'em. Get some that won't crack.

Hilary
Jul. 15, 2012, 03:53 PM
Huh, I've never had a water bucket crack (I live in NH, yes we have ice). Don't thump on the pails, flip them over in the sun and let the ice melt out in a chunk.

merrygoround
Jul. 15, 2012, 05:37 PM
Huh, I've never had a water bucket crack (I live in NH, yes we have ice). Don't thump on the pails, flip them over in the sun and let the ice melt out in a chunk.

This or a RUBBER mallet, with which you tap GENTLY. :lol:

saultgirl
Jul. 15, 2012, 05:49 PM

That's all well and good if you are doing chores during daylight hours, and you have time to wait around for anything to melt when it's a bright and cheery -25C day.

I hold the buckets by the handle and kick them a couple of times -- co-ordinate the swing with the kick for more force (if it's not a frozen solid block of ice) and usually it bounces right out. I've never had a fortiflex bucket crack. I much prefer them to the rubber which gets "fuzzy" over time.

betsyk
Jul. 16, 2012, 01:41 PM
Use them as salt block holders. The rain will drain out through the crack (enlarge as needed) and it keeps the salt block up off the floor of the stall.

Equibrit
Jul. 16, 2012, 02:13 PM
Part of our freezing a*s weather routine is to line up a row of 12 frozen buckets to catch the sun, before refilling them again at sundown. I have another set in the basement just in case.

HungarianHippo
Jul. 16, 2012, 02:19 PM
Another option for emptying frozen buckets-- this assumes you have a water trough with a heater in it. I just toss the bucket-sicle in the trough and let it bob around overnight. By morning it's an empty bucket. Setting them upside down in the sun works great too--doesn't take long for the outer layer of ice to melt. BTW the water trough method is a great way to thaw a frozen hose.

I recommend just buying a complete extra set of buckets. In the mornings, swap the frozen bucket for an empty one, and set the frozen one aside, in the sun or water trough. The one-time cost to buy buckets is worth it for the time, frustration, and cracked buckets it saves.

(also note that unless you get ALL of the ice out before refilling, your new water will freeze much more quickly. The pre-existing ice creates more surface area that the water is in contact with)

winfieldfarm
Jul. 17, 2012, 12:55 AM
no ideas for patching but the cracked bucket can be demoted to feed bucket.

I also know the absolute best item for deicing a bucket is a bowling pin. Use it like a mallet on the outside of a bucket or trough. it will not crack a bucket unless the bucket is frozen solid. the pin absorbs the shock.