PDA

View Full Version : Smacking a horse in his privates if he drops??

pal-o-mino
Jul. 13, 2012, 11:13 PM
This was a new one on me, so I wanted to get some feedback. A lady came out to look at my horse, she did some bodywork on my mare a couple weeks ago. She looked at the baby* too while she was there. I was at his head scratching his ears, which he loves. He dropped. This is not unusual.

She wanted to smack him on the privates with the leather end of the lead. She said he was masturbating and that I shouldn't let him do it. I said, he always drops when you scratch, I just figured he was relaxed. She said, yeah, but the tip is flared and he's hitting it on his stomach. (I think he did that twice.)

He wasn't acting romantic, studly, anything. Standing quietly. He pretty much to me was just enjoying his ear scratching and maybe feeling good all over. LOL

She said if I didn't want to whack him, that she would do it, but I wouldn't let her. It just didn't seem right, the baby wasn't doing anything wrong that I could see, and he is only 2.

Your opinion?
Thanks!

Simkie
Jul. 13, 2012, 11:18 PM
This is not something I ever correct for. I have heard of people who show a lot in hand asking the horse to "put it away." Frankly, a horse that will drop for you is a ASSET when you're looking to clean his sheath, so I'm cool with having a button to do that.

Ace
I don't see the lesson he would learn by smacking him in the privates. He's relaxed, enjoying the scratching. Both geldings I've had did this as well. It's a sign of contentment. And so what if he was "masturbating" (which I highly doubt--the movement was most likely involuntary)? Poor baby. I'm happy you defended him.

Kwill
Seems mean and the lady doing the bodywork has some issues!

Flypony
Jul. 13, 2012, 11:25 PM
The woman is a nut. Slap her in the privates, twice, once from me.

GaitedGloryRider
Jul. 13, 2012, 11:30 PM
WTF? That lady sounds a little off.

The only thing remotely close to that I've ever seen was a guy I know who had a stallion he rode trails on, sometimes he'd drop (never got amorous or anything, just let it hang out). The guy would give the horse a little pinch on the neck and he'd put it away. Not sure how he trained him to do that but from what I know of the guy I doubt their was any genital-smacking going on.

Hitting any animal in the junk? Not cool man, just not cool.

mbm
Jul. 13, 2012, 11:37 PM
this is something uneducated people do to "teach them a lesson"

however, i would deck someone if they did this to a horse in front of me.

so no. it is NOT ok.

you did the right thing - and if i were you i would re-eval allowing this mis educated person to work on my horses!

Kwill
Jul. 13, 2012, 11:38 PM
Maybe she's trying to save him from going blind. :lol:

pal-o-mino
Jul. 13, 2012, 11:45 PM
LOL Yeah, she is not coming back. That was kind of the last straw. But I was curious about that incident. Glad I was right. Poor baby, I can't imagine smacking him there when he's just happy. Sheesh.

wcporter
Jul. 14, 2012, 12:25 AM

:lol:

And a WTF @ crazy lady??? :confused:

SnicklefritzG
Jul. 14, 2012, 12:31 AM
Since it seemed the horse was relaxed and happy, I would say no, he shouldn't be smacked. Who cares what he is doing with his privates anyway. If he isn't exhibiting studdy behavior he should be left alone.

Now if a horse is doing something dangerous or that could hurt someone, that's an entirely different matter. Say you're tacking up and the horse tries to bite you when you are doing up the girth, the horse should get some kind of reprimand. Perhaps a quick smack or a sharp "no!" so they understand that kind of behavior is not acceptable.

walknsound
Jul. 14, 2012, 12:33 AM
That woman is totally stupid!

Grataan
Jul. 14, 2012, 12:55 AM
if Im showing I correct it, but not in the situation you described. My halter horses know when I growl at them and point the whip in that direction that it needs to go away. It's a button I install.

Appsolute
Jul. 14, 2012, 12:57 AM
yeah, no smacking :(

If you want them to "put it away" get their feet moving, get them stepping over behind - and they will usually put it away.

shakeytails
Jul. 14, 2012, 01:08 AM
I might smack a stallion on the belly and tell him to put it away if he drops inappropriately and is not paying attention to me- like if he's on cross ties and thinks the mare across the aisle is sexy- but the idea of smacking his privates is just mean. For a gelding or a stallion "hanging out" in his stall, who cares what he's doing- I see no need for correcting anything.

Seriously_Hunter
Jul. 14, 2012, 01:44 AM
When I was a kid, I rode briefly with a woman who had a stallion who was a big jerk but was not overly studdy, he just had horrid ground manners.

Anyway, this woman would not allow him to "masturbate", she nailed a bunch of nails all the way through a piece of wood (a 2X4 cut to about a foot long) and hung it on his belly, the nails hanging down, with the strap doing up over his back. Whenever he would drop and attempt to masturbate he ended up getting the nails on his penis. :( Poor guy, even though I hated him, I always felt so sorry for him.

michaleenflynn
Jul. 14, 2012, 02:04 AM

OMG bwahahahaaaa :lol::lol::lol:

But seriously, this woman is an ASS. I had a horse who did that everytime he ate oats, it hurts no one, it's not like he is trying to mount you or anything.

I truly cannot believe she would hit the horse's penis. She's gonna get cow-kicked someday, maybe then she'll have second thoughts - or only work with mares.

michaleenflynn
Jul. 14, 2012, 02:05 AM
When I was a kid, I rode briefly with a woman who had a stallion who was a big jerk but was not overly studdy, he just had horrid ground manners.

Anyway, this woman would not allow him to "masturbate", she nailed a bunch of nails all the way through a piece of wood (a 2X4 cut to about a foot long) and hung it on his belly, the nails hanging down, with the strap doing up over his back. Whenever he would drop and attempt to masturbate he ended up getting the nails on his penis. :( Poor guy, even though I hated him, I always felt so sorry for him.

That is one of the sickest things I have ever heard.

fburton
Jul. 14, 2012, 02:21 AM
Dr Sue McDonnell, reproduction and behaviour expert, reported that stallions will 'masturbate' at least a couple dozen times a day. Very rarely is there any semen emission so the idea that it depletes reserves and lowers fertility is erroneous. Indeed, it may play a vital maintenance role, e.g in helping to keep the stallion clean. Think about it: why would nature allow or encourage an activity that reduced reproductive fitness?

http://research.vet.upenn.edu/Portals/49/91SpontaU.pdf

Arguably the activity isn't even primarily sexual, making the label 'masturbation' inappropriate. After all, it's usually associated with a relaxed, rather sleepy and faraway demeanor when it occurs and not a state of high excitement.

Given that it is natural and even beneficial, I wouldn't attempt to punish it and certainly not by smacking the privates! If it was desirable to stop the behaviour, e.g. in a showing situation, I would attempt to get the horse's attention back on the job in other ways.

ETA: Who voted "Yes, it's a bad habit and can get nasty."? I'd be interested to hear why they think this is a risk.

pal-o-mino
Jul. 14, 2012, 02:36 AM
Arguably the activity isn't even primarily sexual, making the label 'masturbation' inappropriate. After all, it's usually associated with a relaxed, rather sleepy and faraway demeanor when it occurs and not a state of high excitement.

ETA: Who voted "Yes, it's a bad habit and can get nasty."? I'd be interested to hear why they think this is a risk.

Yes, that's how he was. It wasn't sexual at all, just relaxed.

lol I also was wondering who said yes!

War Admiral
Jul. 14, 2012, 05:34 AM
Totally unnecessary. I've noticed with most all you have to do is ask them to MOVE a couple steps - forward, backward, sideways, doesn't really matter - and they'll tuck it back in.

I'd fire her.

lovey1121
Jul. 14, 2012, 05:50 AM
. My halter horses know when I growl at them and point the whip in that direction that it needs to go away. It's a button I install.

Wonder if this'd work on my DDH?? Grrrrr.....:cool: PUT THAT AWAY.:lol:

cloudyandcallie
Jul. 14, 2012, 06:05 AM
I once boarded at a barn where the BO (certifiably crazy and with alcohol issues, but nevertheless a big horse "expert") once did that to a horse belong to one boarder when she caught him exposed.:eek: She bragged about flicking the dressage whip and hitting his penis with it. (She did not like the horse and eventually convinced the owner to give him away and buy a horse the BO liked and eventually got free from the boarder.)

Cloudy kept it in in the ring when he was showing. Outside the ring, and always "at home," it's his public part, not a private part. He shows off to mares, and of course when he is relaxed it's hanging. And of course when it's so hot in summer, it's hanging. (In Atlanta, guys were always greeting each other with "how's it hanging?" and in the city, a lot of penises were exposed to all, causing us to refer to them as "public parts.")

My first 2 horses were geldings, and they too let it hang around their barn.

It's a typical male trait. Males love to show off their stuff, and so it's just a natural occurrence It's called "wand waving.". Horses and other animals do it as well.;)

Admire it or ignore it.

Aussie Chick
Jul. 14, 2012, 06:05 AM
Some people shouldn't be around any animals let alone horses...

If I saw anyone smack a horse in his or her privates I would be mortified :(

I have never worried at all if my horse "drops". Sometimes when I give him a nice fresh bit of hay or a food he adores, I see he can be "happy" lol.

Such a cruel thing to do, why would anyone :no::confused:

ShearConvenience
Jul. 14, 2012, 07:15 AM

I second that. I wonder if she does the same to her SO?

Canaqua
Jul. 14, 2012, 07:29 AM
I've never heard of such a thing! I'd no more smack a horse (anywhere, let alone his penis) for dropping than I'd smack my young son for fiddling with his penis.

I think that woman has some serious issues with anything male...scary, hope she has no male children.

paulaedwina
Jul. 14, 2012, 07:55 AM
Oh dear :no: The first time I saw it was with a person who turned out to be a bit ....erm... incompatible with my horse. Gosh, I guess that should have been an early warning :lol::lol:

LOL! I guess I haven't learned much since my old boyfriend the crack head. With him too there were early warnings that in hindsight were loud and clear ADDICT signals.

When I saw this person do this action of smacking her stallion's privates for him to pull them back in I thought it was very very strange, but then I dismissed it. Loud and clear signal I guess :lol::lol:

Paula

hundredacres
Jul. 14, 2012, 08:07 AM
LOL Yeah, she is not coming back. That was kind of the last straw. But I was curious about that incident. Glad I was right. Poor baby, I can't imagine smacking him there when he's just happy. Sheesh.
I'm so glad you stood up for him. I've never in my life heard of anyone doing that...

Side story, still related: we were showing a gelding to a potential adopter (for Exceller Fund) and we walked out to the field where he was with my mares. My daughter was about 7 or 8 at the time and went with us. When we got out there the gelding was hanging out and my daughter says, "Oh, he's just showing off." It cracked me up.

Belg
Jul. 14, 2012, 08:30 AM
So glad it's virtually unanimous. Having gotten kicked in them there parts a couple times as a kid (until I learned how to defend myself better) I think I take some comfort in everyone's responses. Needless to say, as a boy, I'm aghast at the thought... Especially since at least one regular lesson boy here drops when he has to pee.

ptownevt
Jul. 14, 2012, 09:15 AM
I knew a stud who got hit with a whip directly on his penis if he dropped anytime he wasn't actively breeding. He went from a sweet guy to a nasty guy. I think that woman has it wrong, it will get nasty if you hit it.

ddashaq
Jul. 14, 2012, 09:29 AM
10+ years ago I boarded with some halter people and smacking for dropping was one of the many bizarre things they did to their horses. Unfortunately, there was nothing I could do about it but I was quite happy to the back of them.

Belg
Jul. 14, 2012, 09:39 AM
I think that woman has some serious issues with anything male...scary

I think that woman has it wrong, it will get nasty if you hit it.

:cool:

Frank B
Jul. 14, 2012, 09:55 AM
That woman's nuts.

My gelding would often drop when relaxed, even smacking it against his belly. In the cross-ties, hand grazing, etc., it was no big deal. (Well, actually it was, but well, erm, you know :lol: )

If we were at a show, I'd gently jiggle the reins or lead line and whisper his name in a disapproving voice. It'd retract as quickly as a Stanly measuring tape, then I'd give a "good boy" pat.

There was an article in (I think) the Quarter Horse Journal several years back stating that it was normal behavior for both stallions and geldings and occurred several times a day.

WalkInTheWoods
Jul. 14, 2012, 10:02 AM
There have always been people who dont want their geldings or stallions to drop in public. At the standardbred tracks i saw one person that hung a wire brush from a loose fitting surcingle placed midback behind the low hanging part of the belly so it woulent ride forward. This wasnt home-made. You could buy a getup like that. And trainers used to put stud rings on stallions. You would oil up the ring and gently push it over the head of the penis. The horse could urinate, but the ring would keep the penis from engorging with blood, so they could not masturbate. I guess they thought energy would be preserved if a horse didnt go "there". Athletes are asked to abstain from sex. Dont know how that crosses over to horses.

In my travels i have seen "trainers" or show people kick the penis and yell Put it away!

I have never corrected it in my gelding. He often drops while eating his soaked alfalfa cubes or during a good grooming. Theres a big difference between a relaxed horse dropping and even masturbating a bit and a stallion erect and dancing in place and out of control screaming at mares. I think it is cruel to correct a horse for the wrong reason. And as others have said, getting their attention and moving their feet is enough - no need to resort to whipping, whacking or kicking that sensitive area.

Far_North_Equestrian
Jul. 14, 2012, 10:14 AM
Another vote for NO.

I'll give a tap on the BELLY and tell them to put it away on the crossties or in the isle, because I don't REALLY want to clean up pee - but other then that, couldn't care less. If he's comfy with it out - whatever.

Canaqua
Jul. 14, 2012, 10:15 AM
The TB gelding I have been half leasing frequently let's it all hang out...when he has to pee, when he is super relaxed and , in a more lively fashion, when his favorite mare is in heat and aggressively flirting with him. I ignore it, it's his business, except on the rare occasion when he's wheed up over the mare and is slapping it against his belly AND there's a small child in the vicinity starting to demand an explanation from a clearly uncomfortable mother...getting Mr. Sexy walking will easily cause him to put it back in his figurative pants.

WalkInTheWoods
Jul. 14, 2012, 10:21 AM
The big difference is whether your horse is just relaxed OR relaxed and fantacizing OR getting ready to act on his urges !

Antaeus
Jul. 14, 2012, 10:24 AM
There have always been people who dont want their geldings or stallions to drop in public. ... Athletes are asked to abstain from sex. Dont know how that crosses over to horses.

In my travels i have seen "trainers" or show people kick the penis and yell Put it away!

I have never corrected it in my gelding. He often drops while eating his soaked alfalfa cubes or during a good grooming. Theres a big difference between a relaxed horse dropping and even masturbating a bit and a stallion erect and dancing in place and out of control screaming at mares. I think it is cruel to correct a horse for the wrong reason. And as others have said, getting their attention and moving their feet is enough - no need to resort to whipping, whacking or kicking that sensitive area.

Ditto. I don't see folks do the former much any more ( and give them my 2 cents when I do), but saw it quite a bit 35 years ago when I was at public barns. Now, when someone doesn't want to see wee willie, they just move their horses's feet. Me, I usually look over at DH and comment, "Oh look, _ is tryin' to make you cry...":D

Diamondindykin
Jul. 14, 2012, 10:32 AM
I have shown with quite a few stallion and it is common to smack their private parts if they drop when being ridden but we are talking mature breeding stallions not young foals. There is no reason to smack a foal for something like that:no:

wendy
Jul. 14, 2012, 10:34 AM
if you ever want to be able to clean the sheath properly, you can't go around whacking the horse for dropping when relaxed.
Even if you felt it was ok to physically correct the horse for dropping, surely hitting the horse in the actual privates is even more of big no-no than say, apply a whip to a horse's head or kicking the horse in the belly? and for the same reason- a very sensitive part that could easily get injured by physical correction.

fburton
Jul. 14, 2012, 10:34 AM
The big difference is whether your horse is just relaxed OR relaxed and fantacizing OR getting ready to act on his urges !
Only the last is of any concern, and it's pretty easy to tell it apart from the first two.

fburton
Jul. 14, 2012, 10:39 AM
I have shown with quite a few stallion and it is common to smack their private parts if they drop when being ridden but we are talking mature breeding stallions not young foals. There is no reason to smack a foal for something like that:no:
Is there any reason to smack the private parts of a ridden horse either? Getting him paying attention to you and working is good enough in almost every case.

Tamara in TN
Jul. 14, 2012, 10:46 AM
She said if I didn't want to whack him, that she would do it, but I wouldn't let her. It just didn't seem right, the baby wasn't doing anything wrong that I could see, and he is only 2. Your opinion?
Thanks!

my opinion is that is one of the more vile things to do to a stallion and you need to hang out with smarter people

Tamara

pal-o-mino
Jul. 14, 2012, 10:54 AM
my opinion is that is one of the more vile things to do to a stallion and you need to hang out with smarter people

Tamara

Just wanted to note that he is gelded.

Yeah, I alreaady got the name of a new bodywork person...lol. she was out once and then this was a recheck. So no more.

ReSomething
Jul. 14, 2012, 11:18 AM
Geez - the first time I brought the old guy into a stall and let him have his bucket of grain in a protected space he dropped and got an erection and I felt good that I'd done something he liked so much! Am I some sort of perv?

If the pony is talking dirty over the fence to the mares and lets it drop and get erect I'll say something, growl or whatever, but why would I discourage a behavior that's useful to me at sheath cleaning time by smacking him? He can't pee without dropping it for Heaven's sakes.

Grataan
Jul. 14, 2012, 11:31 AM
Wonder if this'd work on my DDH?? Grrrrr.....:cool: PUT THAT AWAY.:lol:

Hahaha!!! Yeah I think the lady that whacks the poor horse on the penis needs to have some sensitive part of her smacked when she's relaxing. Seriously, growling and pointing the halter whip in the general direction of the offending part and moving them back or forward works pretty well, then they learn hey when she does this I need to suck it up. Pretty easy to install button, no smacking needed.

The last thing you want on a horse that may be drug tested is fear of dropping in front of the "weenie watcher" at shows lol.

Arcadien
Jul. 14, 2012, 11:40 AM
20 years ago I saw a farrier / half ass race horse trainer kick the crap out of a stallion in his stomach & flanks for dropping. In my opinion he was a) embarrassed to have two young ladies seeing the studs equipment b) showing off his "maniless" in being able to beat up a real live stallion. :rolleyes: The horse just got confused & upset & I was disgusted with the man, but not gutsy enough back then to say what I thought. I'd definitely speak up for the horse now!

I think only those not so bright & prone to anthropomophise their animals think the dropping is something that needs to be disciplined. Yeah in a halter show I could see it being inconvenient, but it sounds like you all have some humane strategies for diverting the horses attention.

My new OTTB gelding drops when I start currying his neck & his haunches. I think it's great as he was given to me as being antsy & difficult in crossties - I think his dropping is a sign he is relaxed & not stressed by my handling.

mbm
Jul. 14, 2012, 11:52 AM
wow. now 2 people have said they think hitting a horses penis is a good and correct thing to do.... i wish they would have the balls to speak up and let us know their rationale?

AliCat
Jul. 14, 2012, 11:53 AM
The horse I lease will always drop when I groom him after a ride, but not before. He doesn't swing it around, but when I start currying certain areas on his neck, it does come out. His ears also go out sideways, his lips flop, his eyes close, and he lets out a sigh. Hardly threatening, and I would never smack him for that behavior.

Antaeus
Jul. 14, 2012, 12:30 PM

Just curious: How do you smack the private parts while you're riding? If I did it with any accuracy, I'd fall off.
Which would be my payback for doing it.:yes:

cloudyandcallie
Jul. 14, 2012, 01:37 PM
Y'all do know that if non-horsey guys stumble upon this thread, they are gonna think that we women are, well obsessed with the subject?:winkgrin:
Of course they'll feel pretty inferior anyway.

paulaedwina
Jul. 14, 2012, 02:45 PM
:lol: It makes me worry about how people might be raising their human children. I mean, if you're bent on punishing your horse for masturbation, what do you do with your kids?

Paula

Simbalism
Jul. 14, 2012, 02:58 PM
I had a friend who had a gelding who would really get into his self pleasure when we would be standing around trainer in a lesson. Any time she would stop riding him, he would whip it out and start flapping it against his stomach. He would be to the point of almost zoning out he was so into it. Trainer made rider bring a bat with her to the ring and every time he started doing that the trainer would smack him either on the shoulder or stomach in the vicinity of the waving object. He became better about not doing it in lessons as long as trainer was holding the bat. At shows, friend just carried the bat, especially while standing around getting ready to school or go into ring for her class. If she didn't have it he would start in. I don't think it is necessary to punish every horse, but this horse took it to the extreme.

7HL
Jul. 14, 2012, 03:07 PM

The woman obviously has issues. Should have asked her why she was looking.

OldMorgans
Jul. 14, 2012, 03:22 PM
Way back, around 1980 or so, I was taking lessons at a public arena. Another trainer & her husband used the arena also at the same time for lessons. One day, the husband came hobbling up on crutches with a cast on his foot & up his leg. I overheard the story. Seems he went to kick a horse in the privates when the horse was dropping and the horse moved or his aim was off and he got the top of his foot right on the horse's stifle. Horse's stifle won; husband's foot got shattered.
I felt that was justice. :D

coloredhorse
Jul. 14, 2012, 03:22 PM
I am taken aback that this woman is apparently a bodyworker and seems unfamiliar with the very-common response of a male horse during a good massage session. This happens all the time. It happens with stallions and geldings, with horses of all ages. It's a very normal and expected reaction (and yes, does signify relaxation, as everyone here already knows).

Ignore this lady's bizarre advice. And find another bodyworker, as I'd have serious qualms about this person's experience and skill.

Beverley
Jul. 14, 2012, 03:30 PM
Agree w/coloredhorse. My gelding does it now and again during grooming and I view it as a good sign! Used to have one that so loved body clipping that he dropped during that process as well. (You may not want to visualize the consequences re flying/accumulating fur...:cool:)

Right on Target
Jul. 14, 2012, 03:43 PM
I would not punish a horse for what your horse did. In my opinion my gelding can do whatever he wants with his junk especially when your intent is to relax him.

Years ago I was at a breed show and I saw a stallion let it out, start to get a woody as he was rumbling at a mare. The owner lightly tapped the 5th leg with her whip. I was pretty young and I'd never seen a horse corrected like that (so I was a bit aghasted), but in hindsight the horse didn't seem upset or hurt at all and he didn't even move, but he did put it back in. It was really a non-event and he seemed to understand what the handler was trying to achieve.

I don't don't have a stallion so this isn't something I would have to worry about, as my guy is welcome to air his junk out whenever he wants. But it didn't seem where the stallion I saw was hurt by or fearful of this very light correction.

nasalberry
Jul. 14, 2012, 03:43 PM
this is something uneducated people do to "teach them a lesson" ...
Yes this is what ALL of the 4-H/westurn-pleezer/stock-halter horse people do it in Wayne county, OH.
Even saw one "good ol' boy" spectator at a show get positively outraged because a handler would not "beat the livin' sh*t outta that there stud hoss in his *privates* with the (silver-coated) shank. :mad:

I won't go anywhere near ANY of these morons.

I figure it is not only a low IQ, and passed-on ignorance, but because they all suffer from the Roy Rogers & Dale Evans syndrome. :rolleyes:

Skyedragon
Jul. 14, 2012, 03:48 PM
I have seen this happen a lot from people that show in halter or showmanship and I always raise an eyebrow. Its a horse, sometimes they let their junk hang out, get over it.

Niennor
Jul. 14, 2012, 03:50 PM

Once more for me please!

fburton
Jul. 14, 2012, 04:14 PM
Third vote for "Yes, it's a bad habit and can get nasty" - astonishing! :eek:

Niennor
Jul. 14, 2012, 04:16 PM
OK, Where are The Fruitbats?

Ambitious Kate
Jul. 14, 2012, 04:24 PM
I suspect someone is just funnin y'all by checking "yes". Any one who was serious and really felt that way would say so. Might even be one person logging on with all her/his different alters. I doubt anyone really thinks that. Except the looky body work lady. :eek:

Laurierace
Jul. 14, 2012, 04:30 PM
If I had a colt whacking his belly while I was trying to pack his feet or wrap his legs I would stick my fingers in the water bucket and flick some water on his party, but I would never smack one for that.

Bravestrom
Jul. 14, 2012, 06:13 PM
I didn't read all the posts but I will recount a situation I saw and was absolutely shocked by.

My first gold show so I was a little bug eyed. Saw a lady bring out a stallion - trying to hide what she was doing but she was kicking his privates hard with boots because he dropped.

And this happened a few times during the day - wish i had had a camera and just was so shocked at how hard she was kicking him. I wish I had known better at the time and reported her - but I sure never forgot it or who she was.

goeslikestink
Jul. 14, 2012, 06:15 PM
omg the woman is sick - think i would slap her in her privates lol

if hes ready to drop and hasnt been done yet and your not going to bred from him perhaps look to see if he has as its easier on him to be done sooner rather than later just a thought for you to consider

Ace
Jul. 14, 2012, 07:21 PM
if you ever want to be able to clean the sheath properly, you can't go around whacking the horse for dropping when relaxed.
Even if you felt it was ok to physically correct the horse for dropping, surely hitting the horse in the actual privates is even more of big no-no than say, apply a whip to a horse's head or kicking the horse in the belly? and for the same reason- a very sensitive part that could easily get injured by physical correction.

This! Absolutely! My old gelding had to be sedated when having his sheath cleaned (and even then he was ornery). He was a former racehorse, so I'm guessing someone batted at his privates at some point...never thought of that.

And that said, I never knew horses masturbated! I've never seen that...just the relaxed, hanging out stuff. Do dogs do this, too, and I've just never seen my neutered Jacks do this?!

Foxtrot's
Jul. 14, 2012, 07:49 PM
Is that old school advice? - a well known horsewoman here who was into big time showing and halter advocated that in the book she wrote.

Glad to see that almost all these replies are against it. Any geldings I have had did this quite a lot and I've frankly never noticed or been bothered by it.

magicteetango
Jul. 14, 2012, 08:29 PM
Completely inappropriate. And the stories about the nails and wire brush turned my stomach, the things people will do to their animals never ceases to amaze me. Good for you for standing up for him.

Lone
Jul. 14, 2012, 08:39 PM
Just curious: How do you smack the private parts while you're riding? If I did it with any accuracy, I'd fall off.
Which would be my payback for doing it.:yes:

I boarded (briefly) at a barn where the BO had a horribly behaved stallion. As soon as another horse came into the arena (mare or gelding, it didn't matter) her stallion would drop and start rearing, squealing and generally being an idiot. She carried a long dressage whip and could smack his privates with it even while he was carrying on and leaping around. Shockingly, smacking him regularly with a dressage whip didn't solve all his behavioral problems...

The BO asked me (a freshman in high school, C2 level pony clubber at the time) if I'd be willing to train her stallion and teach him dressage. I turned down that opportunity!

Kwill
Jul. 14, 2012, 10:37 PM
Lone, some posts just make you go, good lord!

SwampYankee
Jul. 14, 2012, 11:10 PM
The list of people I'd like to whack in the privates is long and distinguished, but doesn't happen to include my horse. :D

FineAlready
Jul. 14, 2012, 11:14 PM
This actually ENRAGES me! WTF?!?! If anyone ever hit my gelding in the privates, I would call the police. I'm not even kidding. I would like to hear the explanation to the police, even if they could not do anything about it (though I do wonder about this being covered by animal cruelty laws in at least some states).

My gelding is dropped 90% of the time, and he "masturbates" pretty often. It's just who he is, and there has never been any aggression associated with this behavior. I do think he was cut late (a few vets have indicated they believe so as well). He is dropped for all grooming, tacking up, etc. He puts it up on the way to the ring and keeps it up to work, then drops again as we walk back to the barn. He is usually dropped while grazing, etc.

Sorry, but geldings and stallions don't owe it to us to protect our delicate sensibilities. Jesus, that is just sick and wrong. What the hell would this effing crazy lady do about a mare in heat that squirts?!?! Shove something up there? THAT, I am quite sure would violate a number of laws.

Some people are freaking insane.

Sunnyhorse
Jul. 15, 2012, 12:10 AM
That story makes me want to, in the words of Glee's Sue Sylvester, kick that woman in the taco. What a sadistic thing to do. :(

Couture TB
Jul. 15, 2012, 12:36 AM
Oops. I didn't read your post. I voted YES, BUT I was picturing it in the way a stallion does when being a pia in cross ties when other horses go past.

A horse that is just relaxed? NO! Heck most of my geldings while they are groomed drop. Makes a quick cleaning easy if you know what I mean ;)

HenryisBlaisin'
Jul. 15, 2012, 08:49 AM
Yeah, that's pretty extreme. With my boy, often when he drops, it's because he needs me to take him someplace where he can pee (he's picky and won't pee just anywhere). If I miss his cue and it's before a ride, he's seriously uncomfortable and acts like it! (Can't say I blame him; have you ever tried running with a very full bladder?!) If it's not for that reason, and he's relaxed and happy, who cares?

I will say though, that it's not harmless 100% of the time. We had a retired gelding at a barn where I used to work that would sometimes drop just as OP describes when he was getting groomed. With him, it was a cue that needed to be read, because he would go from that relaxed, spaced out zone to trying to mount the nearest living thing, which was usually the person handling him or a bystander, in a matter of minutes if they didn't stop doing whatever it was that was making him "happy." That IS dangerous behavior in a public barn! We didn't smack him for dropping, though, just quit and put him away. That deflated him pretty fast.

mbm
Jul. 15, 2012, 10:15 AM
now there are SIX people who are saying to whip a horse in his penis if he drops.....

can any of you 6 please explain your logic?

mbm
Jul. 15, 2012, 10:20 AM
Now if a horse is doing something dangerous or that could hurt someone, that's an entirely different matter. Say you're tacking up and the horse tries to bite you when you are doing up the girth, the horse should get some kind of reprimand. Perhaps a quick smack or a sharp "no!" so they understand that kind of behavior is not acceptable.

well of course. And even if you wanted to teach the horse that dropping is not okay at certain times then a better method would be to redirect the horses energy and attention elsewhere - aka making them move over, back up etc.

going from zero (no training of the horse to know what you want) to abuse (whacking him on his penis) is wrong.

arlosmine
Jul. 15, 2012, 10:44 AM
Even with a stud, (especially a stud with ground handling "issues"), IMO the smacking of the penis is just an ignorant and outdated stupid thing to do. If the stallion is already an issue on the ground, it will just create more problems and escalate his anger and frustration. A real horseperson would do something to get the hose 's focus on another task, not discipline the symptom of his inattention.

A gelding dropping at any time is, for me, a non-issue.

carol_okc
Jul. 15, 2012, 03:57 PM
Lordy - anything that could discourage a horse from dropping is just plain counter-productive! Sure, they need to understand WHEN it isn't a good idea, but redirection, especially taught young, is all it takes. Obviously this woman doesn't know much about males, period - or does she have a male SO who lives in fear for his life (or at least his privates) in case she wakes up first and catches him with a sleep-erection?
My stallion, years ago, definitely understood when and when not - and 'when' included a 'drop it, kid' when I needed to clean his sheath or even wash him before breeding. When he dropped at inappropriate times, he understood 'put it away, kid' just as well - and did. But dropping is simply part of being male - I wonder if that woman got the tar knocked out of her for getting a chill and having her nipples get hard?

Petstorejunkie
Jul. 15, 2012, 04:23 PM
Sounds like the body worker had an interesting childhood.

goeslikestink
Jul. 15, 2012, 06:28 PM
now there are SIX people who are saying to whip a horse in his penis if he drops.....

can any of you 6 please explain your logic?

lol easy as they not spoken up yet - cos they to frighten to in case they get whipped

caradino
Jul. 15, 2012, 10:57 PM
Oh, yes, let's very painfully punish a horse for being relaxed/having to urinate. /sarcasm.

What a nutjob.

Hinderella
Jul. 16, 2012, 03:14 PM
Sounds as though the body worker...and perhaps the 6 who voted "yes" in the poll.. have forgotten that horses are animals, and that there's nothing "dirty" about waving their privates around.

For heaven's sake, it's just another body part. Even the youngest lesson kids at my barn (4 yrs old, BTW) don't think anything of it if their pony's privates are hanging out. And the older ones grab the opportunity (no pun intended) to get some clean up done.

I bet the folks who are all hung up on putting those privates away are the same ones who have a bunch of un-neutered dogs/cats/horses around because they just can't stand the thought of cutting them off :)

Mtn trails
Jul. 16, 2012, 04:30 PM
I used to work for a boarder at a world famous, olympic gold medal winner's barn who's wife rode dressage and one of her horses would drop while being ridden. She had her groom walk beside him with a dressage whip and smack him in the penis everytime it happened. Not good. Luckily groom didn't suffer any bodily injury.

HPFarmette
Jul. 16, 2012, 04:51 PM
I don't want someone like that anywhere near my animals.

Kitari
Jul. 16, 2012, 04:58 PM
If I'm trying to do something and Spring starts waving it around, if I have a whip I will lightly tap it/his stomach and tell him "I'm going to clean it!" If I don't have a whip I will tap his stomach with my foot (light tap) and tell him the same thing and woosh it vanishes! :lol: If I'm not doing anything with him I let it be. Why bother? Who is it hurting? Not me and its not in the way unless I'm trying to girth him up or something that involves messing with his underside. and since I don't show, if he wants to let it hang in the breeze as we walk/trot/canter well whatever flies his kite?

abrant
Jul. 16, 2012, 08:32 PM
Oh calm down. :) My gelding will get erect when being groomed and sometimes he will belly thump and get his hips into it. That's when he's politely asked to knock it off. I already expect him, a large prey animal to stand tied and be ridden, so I think it's not inhumane to let the expectations for his behavior expand to not tramuatizing the barn kids. He also thoughly enjoys cribbing on the crossties but he's not allowed to do that either.

He can do absolutely whatever he wants, except for the 6 hours a week I am at the barn. Not a bad deal in exchange for an all inclusive lifestyle.

(Also, doesn't do a darn bit of good to swat at it, he likes that. Best to just shake his halter and knock him out of his meditative revelry).

gumtree
Jul. 16, 2012, 09:11 PM
As one of the few males, from what I can tell, that post I just had to read the responses to this thread. The positive general consensus makes me feel more secure walking around horses shows.

Equus Now!
Jul. 17, 2012, 09:27 AM

ha!

Niennor
Jul. 17, 2012, 10:20 AM
Sounds as though the body worker...and perhaps the 6 who voted "yes" in the poll.. have forgotten that horses are animals, and that there's nothing "dirty" about waving their privates around.

For heaven's sake, it's just another body part. Even the youngest lesson kids at my barn (4 yrs old, BTW) don't think anything of it if their pony's privates are hanging out. And the older ones grab the opportunity (no pun intended) to get some clean up done.

I bet the folks who are all hung up on putting those privates away are the same ones who have a bunch of un-neutered dogs/cats/horses around because they just can't stand the thought of cutting them off :)

:lol::lol::lol:

OK, I do have an un-spayed dog but that's because I couldn't afford it back when I got her. Of course I was always careful when she was in heat and she's 13 now so there's not much point to it.

We used to have a palomino at the barn who would drop often, even when being ridden. Once an owner was adjusting one of his polos and he dropped right then and there was a squirt soon after that. We had a bit of a laugh cos the owner didn't even realize what was happening until the "deed" was done. She laughed too when we told what happened and joked about how her horse was such a pervert:lol:

amastrike
Jul. 17, 2012, 11:09 AM
No, why would I? I don't care if my geldings drop. My rule is "if you let it out, it's fair game". If they drop when I'm there, I grab it and start picking off the dead skin and gunk. If they're hanging out in the paddock with their friends, I just ask "who do you think you're impressing?"