View Full Version : QUICK HELP NEEDED! Thoughts please!!!

Jul. 12, 2012, 04:52 PM
My parents just offered to sell me their pickup truck. it's a 2000 F150 gas supercab, 4wd with a 5th wheel hitch in the back and 150,000 miles on it. They plan on trading it in TONIGHT :eek: if I don't want it or can't make up my mind.
They'd sell it to me for $2K less than blue book value.
I know it's been well maintained, and to boot it just got 4 new tires and new brakes. I have a commuting car so this would just be used for hauling to horse shows and farm work.
It hauls nicely. pulled my 2+1 sundowner great!
BUT, its 12 years old, and has a lot of miles on it. I can't make up my mind but i have to soon!!!

Jul. 12, 2012, 05:03 PM
How much do they want for it? That is how I would decide.

Will you be able to use their new truck for hauling if you need to? If so, let them trade it ;) You'll have the new one to use!

If not, I'd buy it if they want a decent price for it, as you know how its been taken care of and will know of any issues its had while they've owned it.

Jul. 12, 2012, 05:04 PM
If you haul three horses in that 2+1, I'd pass. I'd want more truck for that trailer.

Jul. 12, 2012, 05:05 PM
depends on how well the truck has been taken care of. If its been in good shape I'd say go for it, otherwise I Imagine you're going to be replacing a lot of parts when you hit around 200k
though I'd say it sounds like a pretty good deal.

Jul. 12, 2012, 05:11 PM
If you haul three horses in that 2+1, I'd pass. I'd want more truck for that trailer.

I used to haul 2 horses and a lot of crap:D
Don't have a trailer any more but was looking at getting another soon. I just used to haul with this truck.

I'm so torn.

Jul. 12, 2012, 05:21 PM
Especially if you don't have a trailer, I would pass. I've hauled with a loaded F-150 and it did not feel safe with two horses in a 2H aluminum bumper pull. A 3/4 ton makes a LOT of difference.

Jul. 12, 2012, 05:44 PM
You can do a quick search on a site like cars.com to see what else is out there. But there's a great value in knowing that it's been well maintained, has new tires and brakes and the hitch you need.
At 150K miles you might need a new tranny soon, but the $2K savings should help with that (I'm assuming it's $2K under trade in, not retail)

Jul. 12, 2012, 05:58 PM
Since you're used to using it & know for a fact that it's been well-maintained, I'd definitely go for it.

Over the Hill
Jul. 12, 2012, 06:06 PM
I'm still driving around confidently in my 1999 Chevy Silvarado with over 200,000 miles on it. There is much peace of mind in knowing how a vehicle has been maintained. And always nice, too, that if something major goes wrong, mom and dad would more than likely help out!:winkgrin:

Jul. 12, 2012, 06:31 PM
My husband and I own a dealership. A typical "wholesale" (what we'd pay for a dealer trade in) for that vehicle with those miles, if it's 2 wheel drive and absolutely perfect would be about 5K, tops.

I've pulled a 2 horse with one, you can do it, but it's more fun if there are no hills and you aren't going very far.

If they want more than that, if you are doing any serious hauling, I'd pass.

If you just want it for a 2 horse trailer, one horse, not far and not often?

It'd be ok, you could probably guilt trip Dad into fixing anything wrong with it for the first year or so.

Jul. 12, 2012, 06:43 PM
For heaven' sake - you're buying it from your parents. Do you think they're looking to screw you? Again, I'd jump on it. Frankly, I'd feel lucky they made you the offer, as they most likely won't get what they want from a dealer's trade-in.

Jul. 12, 2012, 07:26 PM
How many things have been repaired on said truck?

Were your parents happy with the truck or did they have a lot of complaints? If complaints, were they corrected by your parents or allowed to get worse?

The crank sensor has probably been replaced. Ditto the starter. The 2 Ford things most likely to go wrong.

Usually the dealers recommend a F-250 to pull horses, but I do know people who have used the F-150.

Blue book prices (why was that book always yellow?) are higher than trade-in at the dealer. So your parents should offer you the truck at the price that they are being offered for trade-in.

Your parents should give you the truck.

Jul. 12, 2012, 09:25 PM
Have you looked at the Edmunds estimate of the value on the truck?

I did a quick run at it for you, using a Lariat level trim in my area...

The value with that mileage in average condition is between $2100-3500 or so. Two grand off that number is a pretty cheap price to pay for a good used truck that you know has been well maintained.

An F150 would not be my first choice for pulling a 2+1. I used my F250 SuperDuty for that and think that is a better choice. But I paid a LOT more for my truck than we are talking about here (and mine was a year older.)

Jul. 12, 2012, 09:29 PM
Thanks for all of the input. To sort of fill in any of the holes- they offered the truck to me for $4k. I decided to pass, as lately the horse shows I've been attending are farther and farther away, and while I know the truck has been lovingly cared for, it was just a little too high mileage for me to feel completely comfortable with-besides, In an ideal world, my next trailer will have a small LQ and I wouldn't want to stress their truck. My parents are buying a jeep(don't know why- they're suburbanites who don't venture off of the culdesac if it snows and don't do any hauling now that I'm a self sufficient adult) but the dealer was giving them $4k in trade so they thought they'd throw me a bone.
I told them thank you very much for the offer-it was very considerate- but I think I should keep looking for a bigger, newer truck.
Thanks for all of the advice guys- you really solidified my choice!

Jul. 15, 2012, 11:09 AM
I would not SELECT a 150 for a 2+1 trailer. If that's what you have, I've seen it done... but I would not go out of my way to buy a truck to tow two horses and a lot of stuff that was a 150. Even if it was cheap. Good decision.

Jul. 15, 2012, 11:36 AM
I would not SELECT a 150 for a 2+1 trailer. If that's what you have, I've seen it done... but I would not go out of my way to buy a truck to tow two horses and a lot of stuff that was a 150. Even if it was cheap. Good decision.

We have and still do haul our 16' GN stocktrailer with four horses with our 1990 F150 4x4 and have not had any problems, it is still in mint condition, never had needed any other than regular servicing.

I would not say automatically you don't want to use an F150 to haul.
It depends on what you haul and how you drive.

I agree that the parents should have given that truck away to their kid.
Those barely bring $2000-$3000 around here at that higher mileage.
A friend just sold one as described, very clean and well cared for, but a 2002 with 110,000 miles, for around $3500 on Craiglist.

OP, since you don't need a pickup right now, waiting seems reasonable, until you are getting both trailer and pickup later.:yes: