PDA

View Full Version : 3H Bumper Pull Questions, and general trailer ?

MtyMax
Jul. 12, 2012, 01:23 PM
Hi Everyone,

As noted on a few other posts, I found THE truck!:D Its a 2010 Chevy 2500HD 4X4. I shouldn't have any trouble pulling a 2 horse trailer right??

Thanks to getting a nearly new truck, my budget for a trailer has dwindled. From borrowing a lot of trailers in the past, I thought I knew what I wanted:

2H straight load
Ramp preferred (by the maresie)
Sm. Dressing room
NO mangers
Either GN or BP, although I'll have to get the GN hitch installed

I assumed straight load, because I don't want the maresie to be cramped in a slant (she's only 16H, but her barn buddies are a bit larger if they come too). She is also used to a straight load, and I am too. Easier to self load as well.

Anyway, I've seen several 3H bumper pulls in my area. My assumption is that if I go up to a 3H, that it should be a GN. Period. I don't need a 3H, but it looks like a good deal and it has a dressing room.

Is a 3H bumperpull too much/too long? I know its not too heavy at 3,000lbs for the truck. But what about stability? I'm not going to be driving over a ton of mountains or in super windy conditions. But I just have this assumption that any 3H trailer should be a GN and not a BP. Where is that assumption coming from?

And one more question....what is the difference between a load leveling hitch and sway bars?

tabula rashah
Jul. 12, 2012, 01:33 PM
If you have a choice, go with a GN either way. It's easier to drive, easier to hitch up, easier ride on the horses, etc. I can't really think of a reason that I would ever go back to a BP

MtyMax
Jul. 12, 2012, 01:48 PM
I would love to not have this debate and simply by a gooseneck. :)

Unfortunately, my budget is dictating what I do and do not buy...booooooooooo.

I've also seen several good deals on goosenecks. But they have generally been older and either monstrous or have a small LQ.

Thanks!

GotMyPony
Jul. 12, 2012, 06:18 PM
I just tried to post this and it vanished so I'll try once more... sorry if I dupe it.

Buy and read the book The Complete Guide to Buying, Maintaining and Servicing a Horse Trailer by Neva and Thomas Sheve. Amazon has it if you can't find it locally. It will tell you pretty much everything you need to know about GN vs BP, alum vs steel vs alum&steel, horse size compatibility, ongoing care, etc.
I do remember hearing (somewhere) that once you go 3H you really need to have a GN. I don't remember if it's the weight or the length or the combination of both that can mess up the stability of a 3H BP.
Plus I'd think the 3H BP would have to be a slant and at 16H your horse will be at the comfort limit for a slant - and her bigger friends would have to stay home. The slant stall is shorter (front to back) than a straight because it's constrained by the trailer's width. Also there don't seem to be many 3H BPs which tells me resale would be harder.
For 2H you could go either GN or BP; I happen to like GN better after switching about 2 years ago. But I know a lot of happy BP owners too.
Finally, since you're in NC, watch the nchorsenews.com classifieds. They don't have a huge number of trailers but they do get all kinds. Good luck!

kch7238
Jul. 12, 2012, 06:23 PM
I have a 3H BP Sundowner and have pulled it fine for years. Yes, I would rather have a GN but at the time I bought it I didn't have the $$ for one. Mine is a slant load, tack room in the front. I have pulled my friend's 17 hand Oldenburg with no problem, my horses are smaller than that. Good luck trailer shopping!

Guilherme
Jul. 12, 2012, 09:59 PM
We've pulled up to a four horse bumper pull (18' length) with a 3/4 Suburban and Ford F350 pickup. Personally, I prefer the GN type trailer as it is much easier to maneuver.

Is the truck a Duramax? If so then a 3H GN, even with a small dressing/tack room, is not too much for the truck. If it's gas, then you'd better look at the GCVWR because you could "bump up" against a weight limit.

G.

lilitiger2
Jul. 12, 2012, 11:12 PM
I have a 3H slant BP (wanted a GN but could afford this) and pull loaded full with 3 horses and tack with a dodge 3/4 ram. We do use a stabilizer hitch which helps a lot. But, has a tack room in the front and pulls really well, Dodge hums right along with it. Am hoping to get a 4H GN this year but this has been a great great trailer. Manuevers and tracks well.

lilitiger2
Jul. 12, 2012, 11:14 PM
Even if your chevy is a gasser (I think you said it was??) and thus more susceptible to load, you should be fine on pulling but you will eat in on fuel!!!

rabicon
Jul. 13, 2012, 12:02 AM
We have a f250 4x4 with a 3horse bumper pull slant load ponderosa. Lol the po boy trailer lol. But it has been at great trailer and behind the 250 you don't even know it's there unlike when we had a 1500 we felt it pulling hard loaded with 3 horses. I find with our butt bars that the shortest in length not height goes up front the other two stalls are good for longer horses even the long school bus qh we trailered to some shows lol. When my bigger boy went by himself I'd load him in the middle stall so he had room and it went great. We've talked about getting a lq type trailer but we are going to keep this one because it's so easy. Hope this helps. Good luck

TheJenners
Jul. 13, 2012, 02:37 AM
I've pulled a 2h bp with a large walk-in dressing room with a smaller vehicle and was fine.

I have a '01 Chev 2500hd (gas 8.1 liter) that pulls my current little 2h bp fine...but owie on gas.

MtyMax
Jul. 13, 2012, 07:48 AM
Owie on the gas is right...even without a trailer!

The Chevy is gas, not diesel. I'm thinking I'll stick to the 2 horse either BP or GN. Even though there are a few good deals out there on some 3 horses, I really don't need a 3 horse trailer...I have ONE HORSE:lol:

Thanks!

lilitiger2
Jul. 13, 2012, 08:19 AM
I really don't need a 3 horse trailer...I have ONE HORSE:lol:

Thanks!

Well, NOW you only have one horse, but in the future.....:D

actually I love the 3H BP, very handy and accommodating (only had two when I got it!!). Not a thing of beauty but we sandblasted all the rust, repainted. Just saying, very useful size...

Guilherme
Jul. 13, 2012, 08:51 AM
Owie on the gas is right...even without a trailer!

The Chevy is gas, not diesel. I'm thinking I'll stick to the 2 horse either BP or GN. Even though there are a few good deals out there on some 3 horses, I really don't need a 3 horse trailer...I have ONE HORSE:lol:

Thanks!

What engine/drive train do you have? What is the GCVWR on the truck (you'll find this either on the driver's door post or in the owner's manual)?

I had a K3500 Chevy Dually with an 8.1L gas engine. It never met a gas pump it didn't like. ;) But it gave good service for 115,000 miles (before it left me stranded at a gas pump in KY). It pulled well enough; my current 3500HD Duramax is much better on that score.

G.

cutter99
Jul. 13, 2012, 09:28 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that you can never have too much room.

I have a 4 horse living quarters trailer and went to camp last month and had very little left over space with only taking one horse. My best friend went as well- pulling a 3 horse living quartes with only one horse and she had less leftover space than I did!

Now I will admit our husbands crack up laughing when we leave- plus they are not sure if we actually intend on coming home because we are packed like we are leaving for ever! But, it is extremely rare we don't have ***everything*** we need : )

MtyMax
Jul. 13, 2012, 10:23 AM
What engine/drive train do you have? What is the GCVWR on the truck (you'll find this either on the driver's door post or in the owner's manual)?

I had a K3500 Chevy Dually with an 8.1L gas engine. It never met a gas pump it didn't like. ;) But it gave good service for 115,000 miles (before it left me stranded at a gas pump in KY). It pulled well enough; my current 3500HD Duramax is much better on that score.

G.

Its a 2010 6.0L V8, I believe its GCVWR is 9200lbs (sound about right?). I'll have to check when I get out of the office.

vxf111
Jul. 13, 2012, 11:49 AM
I just tried to post this and it vanished so I'll try once more... sorry if I dupe it.

Buy and read the book The Complete Guide to Buying, Maintaining and Servicing a Horse Trailer by Neva and Thomas Sheve. Amazon has it if you can't find it locally. It will tell you pretty much everything you need to know about GN vs BP, alum vs steel vs alum&steel, horse size compatibility, ongoing care, etc.
I do remember hearing (somewhere) that once you go 3H you really need to have a GN. I don't remember if it's the weight or the length or the combination of both that can mess up the stability of a 3H BP.
Plus I'd think the 3H BP would have to be a slant and at 16H your horse will be at the comfort limit for a slant - and her bigger friends would have to stay home. The slant stall is shorter (front to back) than a straight because it's constrained by the trailer's width. Also there don't seem to be many 3H BPs which tells me resale would be harder.
For 2H you could go either GN or BP; I happen to like GN better after switching about 2 years ago. But I know a lot of happy BP owners too.
Finally, since you're in NC, watch the nchorsenews.com classifieds. They don't have a huge number of trailers but they do get all kinds. Good luck!

This book is AWESOME and comprehensive!

Guilherme
Jul. 13, 2012, 12:02 PM
Its a 2010 6.0L V8, I believe its GCVWR is 9200lbs (sound about right?). I'll have to check when I get out of the office.

Well, you have a "weight" problem. ;)

Take the truck to your local truck stop and weigh it on the CAT Scale. It will cost you $25 or so. That will tell you how much loaded trailer you can legally pull. Subtract the the weight of horses and gear and that number is the max. empty weight of your trailer.

Ignore the "towing capacity" number. That's for marketing purposes, not for legal or engineering purposes.

I suspect you'll be able to do a two horse with dressing room without issue. The three horse will be more problematical, but might be possible.

Good luck.

G.

Mtn trails
Jul. 13, 2012, 04:54 PM
I pull my 3 horse bp loaded with my dodge 2500 diesel no problem at all. I also pull my 3 horse gooseneck with living quarters with the same truck and that's mostly over mountain passses for summer camping trips. Sure, until I get the exhaust changed so I can install the power chip, we're a little slow on the uphill but really no issues. Pulling a 2 horse with a 3/4 ton should be a piece of cake.

cssutton
Jul. 15, 2012, 12:13 AM
Well, you have a "weight" problem. ;)

Take the truck to your local truck stop and weigh it on the CAT Scale. It will cost you $25 or so. That will tell you how much loaded trailer you can legally pull. Subtract the the weight of horses and gear and that number is the max. empty weight of your trailer.

Ignore the "towing capacity" number. That's for marketing purposes, not for legal or engineering purposes.

I suspect you'll be able to do a two horse with dressing room without issue. The three horse will be more problematical, but might be possible.

Good luck.

G.

I think the problem is the "C".

I don't do government motors, but 9200 sounds about right for GVWR

GCVWR should be much higher.

Tiffani B
Jul. 15, 2012, 12:28 AM
I pulled a fully loaded 3H BP with the 2004 model of that exact same truck with no problems at all. Braked well, maintained speed on the interstate, handled great. In a perfect world, yes, a GN is ideal, but there's nothing wrong with a nice BP.

AzulBlue
Jul. 15, 2012, 10:39 AM
I pull a 3h slant load bumper pull with a 2500 chevy suburban 454...I'll be honest, at first I was a little nervous about stability, but I'll be frank...that trailer (fully loaded even) pulls every darn bit as good as my friends 4h gooseneck...yes, gn's manueverability is superior to a bp...but I've had absolutely no issues with my trailer tracking up behind my truck...even at highway speeds! I am quite impressed really ;) oh, and I do not use a weight distribution hitch or a sway bar...there was/is no need for them...not in my situation

MtyMax
Jul. 16, 2012, 09:20 AM
Guilherme - Can you clarify?

I'm also in need of some definitions:

GVWR - 9200
Curb Weight - 5900
Pay Load - 3240

What does that mean?

The GVWR is 9200lbs. So is that the total weight that I can pull including the weight of the truck? Or is that the maximum weight of the truck itself with cargo?

If that is the pulling capacity....that isn't much. If the trailer weighs 3,000lbs + 2400lbs of Horses + 500lbs of tack = 5900lbs just for the trailer while loaded.

Curb weight of this truck is 5900lbs. That would be the empty truck right?

Thanks for the help!

Tiffani B
Jul. 16, 2012, 02:02 PM
One suggestion for you - double check the capacity of the HITCH. Even though the truck is weighted for more, most of the hitches included are only class I or II, which is not enough for a fully loaded 3H trailer. I yanked the factory installed hitch off of my Ram 2500HD and put on a class III or IV (can't remember now) even though the dealer told me it would be fine. I won't take chances with horses...

vxf111
Jul. 16, 2012, 02:21 PM
One suggestion for you - double check the capacity of the HITCH. Even though the truck is weighted for more, most of the hitches included are only class I or II, which is not enough for a fully loaded 3H trailer. I yanked the factory installed hitch off of my Ram 2500HD and put on a class III or IV (can't remember now) even though the dealer told me it would be fine. I won't take chances with horses...

Good advice. 1000lbs of living, moving equine is a WHOLE DIFERENT TOWING EXPERIENCE than 1000lbs of boat that just sits there equally weighted and never moves.

besttwtbever
Jul. 19, 2012, 10:55 AM
FWIW, I was in the same predicament as far as wanting a 3H GN but only having the cash for a 3H BP. I gave up on the idea of having a paid off trailer and got a loan to get the GN trailer. I will never get a BP after having my GN. I love, love, love it, even with the loan payments. I've pulled a friends 3H BP and it doesn't even compare. I would say if there's any way you can get the 3H GN, I would do that. If you absolutely can't then you'll have to go with the BP and trade up later.

I towed my 2+1 GN with a 3/4 ton Dodge Ram diesel from CT to WA with no problems whatsoever. It is a diesel though.

BayRoan
Jul. 19, 2012, 04:56 PM
A GN is nice, but as many have mentioned, there's nothing wrong with a nice bp.

For slant load trailers, there are different widths of trailers and angles of stalls that translates to more or less room in the stall for the horse. I have a 3H Circle J that pulls great behind a 3/4 ton truck, never had any sway problems, and fits big horses comfortably.

Before I got my trailer, I borrowed a friend's 2H Charmac. It is narrower and I could not fit my big AQHA gelding (16h, 1300#) in a stall. I just left the divider pinned over and used it as an open stock trailer for him. There's no way a big/long WB would fit in the stall of one.

My Circle J, besides just being a wider trailer, also has two different bars that you can lock the dividers into, giving options for more or less room in the stall for different sized horses. Look into the different options and sizes of trailers, both between brands and models within brands. You may just find what you need, within your budget.

Best of luck!