PDA

View Full Version : Please Jingle for Franklin!

clivers
Jul. 12, 2012, 09:13 AM
Super-Frank had hock injections 6 days ago and was sound and perfect until he went suddenly horribly lame yesterday morning. Vet was on her way to do teeth and by the time she arrived he was three legged with a hot swollen hock.

We took him to a great equine clinic where he was put under and the joint flushed very aggressively and he was given 4 kinds of antibiotics but there was damage visible in the joint (exposed bone), and his recovery room time was not smooth (he was hallucinating and freaking out - tried to rear/jump out of the recovery room, trapped the vets etc.). The whole procedure took 6 hours - about 4 more than they had thought it would.

This horse is my best friend and has made so many of my dreams come true. He is the most generous, kind, forgiving, sweetheart of a soul. Someone gave him a 50/50 chance of a "meaningful recovery" yesterday, and since we had less than a 1% chance of an infection happening from a joint injection in the first place, and since the clinic says they only have 1 or 2 horses per year recover as badly as he did, it's really hard not to see those odds as the "glass half empty".

Please keep us in your thoughts over the next few days. Thank you so much!!!

alto
Jul. 12, 2012, 09:18 AM
Jingles!

IFG
Jul. 12, 2012, 09:19 AM
I am so sorry, good luck!

GotSpots
Jul. 12, 2012, 09:32 AM
Poor guy. Ugh, ugh, ugh. No fun at all for any of you. We just got back from a week in the hospital with cellulitis in a hind leg, which was bad enough - I can only imagine how scary this must be for you guys. Hang in there and hugs.

Auburn
Jul. 12, 2012, 09:34 AM
Jingles and Prayers from KY!

vineyridge
Jul. 12, 2012, 09:43 AM
Lots of jingles for you.

AliCat518
Jul. 12, 2012, 09:45 AM
Oh my gosh. Major jingles!

scubed
Jul. 12, 2012, 10:08 AM
lots of jingles for you and SuperFrank.

fooler
Jul. 12, 2012, 10:15 AM
Jingles for Franklin!

Hony
Jul. 12, 2012, 10:28 AM
Jingling for you and Frank.

ctanner
Jul. 12, 2012, 10:30 AM
Jingling like mad for you and Frank!!!!!!!!

Heliodoro
Jul. 12, 2012, 10:32 AM
Jingles for you guys!

Nlevie
Jul. 12, 2012, 11:20 AM
Huge jingles !! Sounds like everything that could go wrong did.

deltawave
Jul. 12, 2012, 11:27 AM
Oh no! Big jingles for Franklin. :(

horsecents
Jul. 12, 2012, 11:33 AM
Mega Jingles for Franklin!!!

fanfayre
Jul. 12, 2012, 11:47 AM
Huge Jingles from this side!!!

clivers
Jul. 12, 2012, 11:47 AM
Thank you so much guys!!! i think the jingles are helping!
Got an encouraging call from the clinic this am. Franklin is passing manure and looks more comfortable than he did yesterday.
Fingers crossed he continues to rally and thank you so much for continuing your jingles!

Fred
Jul. 12, 2012, 11:51 AM
Sending lots of jingles for Franklin, Gabby and hugs for you.

Carol Ames
Jul. 12, 2012, 11:52 AM
Adding Virginia jingles and prayers!:cool:

Carol Ames
Jul. 12, 2012, 11:58 AM
I was so focused on jingling and praying that :lol:I forgot to "submit" the first reply:o2nd attempt follows!:yes:;):winkgrin:

horsetales
Jul. 12, 2012, 02:26 PM
Jingles that Franklin continues to feel better and is home soon

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 12, 2012, 02:55 PM
oh no!!! You guys were doing so well together too! Jingling like mad for a FULL recovery!

shea'smom
Jul. 12, 2012, 03:15 PM
YIKES! Jingles for continued good updates.

Judysmom
Jul. 12, 2012, 08:15 PM
Jingles!!! Hang in there!! More Jingles!!

Zu Zu
Jul. 12, 2012, 09:24 PM
Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ AO ~ AO ~ Always Optimistic ~

Come on Franklin ~ your mother needs you !

clivers
Jul. 12, 2012, 09:39 PM
Thank you so very much!!

I just got back from visiting Franklin and was allowed to take him out to graze for a bit. He is able to bear weight on the leg, though he looks quite depressed and in pain. He has been passing manure but it has been hard and dry so he was oiled earlier today.

Tomorrow the fluid will be tapped again and depending on the results he may or may not have another surgery.

The vets have been fabulous about keeping me updated. The surgeon who operated on him last night was really affectionate with him - gave him lots of rubs on his face and kisses before he went under and after his awful recovery. I'm so grateful for the care and compassion they have shown...and for each of you jingling for us here.

Thank you again.

Here he is this evening. YB you may be right, he may be looking extra sad for extra cookies, lol!!!
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/photo.php?fbid=10151922655200273&set=a.10150264023740273.476234.681770272&type=1&theater

Bravestrom
Jul. 12, 2012, 09:55 PM
Oh i am so sorry to hear what happened. I saw the pics on fb. My goodness what a terrible turn of events.

Hope he gets better quick.

maxxtrot
Jul. 12, 2012, 10:10 PM
i work a large equine clinic, do him and you a favor. get a pair of soft ride boots for this horse's front feet asap.i would hate to hear his hock healed but he foundered from the pain and extra weight on his front feet. jingles headed your way.

DoubleDown
Jul. 12, 2012, 10:27 PM
Recover fast Super Frank!!

FLeckenAwesome
Jul. 12, 2012, 11:40 PM
OH gosh... crazy recoveries are SCARY!!! My yearling colt panicked upon waking up from his sequestrum surgery and it was terrifying... add in all the other stuff on top of that. :( I'm sorry.. not fun.

I hope that Frank feels better soon and is back to kicking butt :)

Davignport
Jul. 13, 2012, 12:00 AM
Jingles and prayers that Franklin continues to improve. I understand how you feel. My horse had colic surgery in 2007 and it was the worst night of my life. It sounds like the vets are doing all they can and taking good care of your boy. Know that you have lots of friends jingling for both of you...

Fred
Jul. 13, 2012, 08:54 AM
Continuing to keep you and Franklin in my thoughts, Gabby.
Lots of jingles coming your way.

RunForIt
Jul. 13, 2012, 02:37 PM
many jingles for dear Franklin, Gabby and many ~HUGS~ for you! Do ask about his feet though as Maxtrott suggested... jingling nonstop!

jen-s
Jul. 13, 2012, 03:36 PM
Lots of jingles!!!

ACMEeventing
Jul. 13, 2012, 03:57 PM
Loads of jingles from North Carolina. Scary stuff :(

SwampYankee
Jul. 13, 2012, 05:21 PM
Jingling like mad for you here in CT!

(How I wish every person considering "routine maintenance" injections could read this and discove how UN-routine things can get!)

judybigredpony
Jul. 13, 2012, 05:26 PM
TPB sends 25 jingles your way and extra from DeeDee

Zu Zu
Jul. 13, 2012, 05:59 PM
More Jingles & AO for Franklin ~

JackieBlue
Jul. 13, 2012, 07:44 PM
I'm so sorry you and Franklin are going through this. I'll be jingling like mad for a smooth recovery from here on out.

I'm with SY. We're far too cavalier about joint injections in horses. My own orthopedic surgeons flat out refuse to inject my VERY arthritic knee with either corticosteroids or HA. They say that although it may give temporary pain relief, injecting steroids into an inflamed jpint is throwing kerosene on the fire and HA hasn't been proven to do anything butlinethe pockets of pharmaceutical companies and doctors.
In a sterile setting in a hospital the risk of joint injection resulting in infection is more than 1%, so I'd imagine that it'quite a bit higher in a barn.

vineyridge
Jul. 13, 2012, 07:48 PM
Jingles are continuing from the Deep South. Bone infections are terribly serious things. I know Twistoffate lost her two year old filly to one.

clivers
Jul. 13, 2012, 07:56 PM
Quick update from Clivers' hubby (Full member of the US and Canadian Horse Husband's Association: I hold the horse division):

Franklin's white cell count is much lower as per the fluid tap done today and he's bearing weight quite well. Doesn't seem lame even without pain control. Not jinxing anything but the jingles seem to be helping! Thankyouthankyouthankyou! The only thing that keeps my wife sane is her horses and I don't even know what size straight-jacket she wears so Franklin recovering is a much better scenario!

Here's hoping he continues to improve! Thank you all again and again.

-A

AliCat518
Jul. 13, 2012, 08:03 PM
Great news!

And clivers hubby...you sound like a keeper! You just made me laugh out loud!

mswillie
Jul. 13, 2012, 09:15 PM
Jingling for a full and uneventful recovery from here on out.

alto
Jul. 14, 2012, 12:03 AM
Wonderful update :yes:

Gonna keep on jingling though :)

Mukluk
Jul. 14, 2012, 01:35 AM
Plenty of Great Big Jingles coming your way from California. Sure hope Franklin is feeling much better very soon. My horse Angel sends her love- because she loves boys!!!!

Fred
Jul. 14, 2012, 07:28 AM
thanks for the positive update, Alex. Jingles still coming for Franklin.

clivers
Jul. 14, 2012, 08:41 PM
I just got back from visiting Franklin and he is so much better than he was just a few days ago. I took him out for grass and he dragged me all over the place, spooked at a goat and generally acted like he was feeling on top of the world.

As Alex mentioned, his cell count from yesterday was much better, and clinically he is doing so well that the vets say he may be able to come home TOMORROW!!!!!!!

Thank you all so very much for your healing thoughts and jingles. This has been a very scary time and it is so wonderful to know so many of you have been reading along and jingling for us. THANK YOU!!!

Zu Zu
Jul. 14, 2012, 09:12 PM
YaHoo ~ Great 'Franklin" news !!!

Jingles & AO for Franklin's complete recovery ~!

SwampYankee
Jul. 14, 2012, 10:49 PM
So happy to hear Franklin's on the mend--I pulled out the big thick WB sized curb-chain for him! :)

He sounds like a great horse and I know what it feels like to have one of those soul-mate guys; there's nothing you won't do for them and THEY KNOW IT and respond.

It also sounds like you owe your vets a serious bottle of very good wine. :D

Anyone else considering this little piece of oh-so-routine "maintenance"--try a month of hacking out or 3 months of turnout FIRST. Please.