PDA

View Full Version : After a 7 year break, I am back in the saddle :)

gingerknickers
Jul. 11, 2012, 09:43 PM
Hello!!

First, I love these forums! They are sooo helpful. My name is Leslie and I recently started riding again after a 7 year break to have kids and attend med school.

A month ago, I purchased a 8 year old OTTB that had been retrained and competed successfully at novice and schooled training. I am having "fun" with him. I blame it on his red hair.... of course, my red hair may play into our battles too!!

We have had some good moments and bad moments. I am unhappy at the barn I am at now in Southern Ohio and moving to Janice Holmes place in August.

Anyways, our biggest battle is getting on the bit and staying there. I know he can do it, as he has placed well in many dressage shows. I think it's just trying to find what buttons to push :) I am greener (or more rusty than him) and he KNOWS it!

He seems to go well in a french link baucher but my current trainer whants to change. I dunno what to do. My "lessons" have been sporadic at best. I am hoping to fix things when we move.

I would love to be able to do Jump Start!! What do you think my chances are?? He is a fearless jumper, even when I am timid.

Any advice?? Been through smilar situations??

Thanks,
Leslie

leahandpie
Jul. 12, 2012, 08:58 AM
Yay congratulations!! I took a big break also~ about 6 years!! I was still riding occasionally and had my old retired mare...but nothing more than hacking and just dinking around on her.

I got my youngster about a year ago and am just getting back into it too :) It is so fun the second time around, but sometimes I feel like it still takes me 15 minutes or so to get back into 'the rhythm'. Where my body says 'oh YEAH that is what I'm supposed to be doing!'

As for dressage advice, it is hard without a video or picture of what is going on. Anyways welcome back and welcome to COTH :)

Judysmom
Jul. 12, 2012, 08:19 PM
Welcome back to riding!

I'll bet your connection problems get better with regular lessons, don't stress too much about it yet.

Good luck at your new barn!