PDA

View Full Version : New Arena Base?

Sparky Boy
Jul. 11, 2012, 08:22 PM
Just added 30 ft to the long side of our outdoor arena. They cut out the sod then put down 6+ inches of base material. If we wet it and rent a roller to compact it, does it still need to sit before adding sand on top? How do you know when its hard enough?

Sparky Boy
Jul. 13, 2012, 10:39 PM
Bump.

JB
Jul. 14, 2012, 09:32 AM
What sort of roller are you able to rent? It needs to be a big, heavy one (I think the one used on my ring was a 20 ton?) in order to properly compact it. It should be vibrating too.

Sparky Boy
Jul. 14, 2012, 05:51 PM
Contractor wanted to just water it and put sand in it. I said no way! I'm sure it needs to harden up. Hubby said he'd rent a roller (don't know the size) and knows someone with a water truck we can borrow since we are apparently never getting rain again....

JB
Jul. 14, 2012, 05:52 PM
Then no, I would not be riding on that right away, wouldn't even be putting down the top footing. You really need a big, vibrating tamper, of the order of the size I mentioned, to do all that right away. Otherwise you need to roll, wet, roll, wait, wet, roll, etc, and if you cannot vibrate it to get it all settled, over time you will see it become uneven as it settles itself, and you don't want your good footing on top of that

Sparky Boy
Jul. 15, 2012, 08:27 AM
So vibrating is the key. I'll see if that's available here.

JB
Jul. 15, 2012, 09:55 AM
I'd really hire someone with the right size equipment to do it. You also need to make sure the addition is level with the existing base or you're going to have a whole 'nother set of issues.

S1969
Jul. 15, 2012, 10:05 AM
I have no great advice but am curious how yours turns out. I would love to do this; my arena is a measly 80x100 in super boot-sucking clay. So to add more length I'd have to install drainage underneath like the first part, and I'm not sure it would connect and drain properly....but I have toyed with the idea of just installing a gravel base, tamping it, and then putting stone dust and sand on top and crossing my fingers. Just not sure it's worth the risk...or maybe it is?

Good luck!

I agree that a vibratory tamper is the way to go....you should be able to rent a walk behind one, and for only 30 feet it shouldn't be too hard to do yourself...

JB
Jul. 15, 2012, 10:08 AM
I don't think there's any walk-behind vibrating rolling tamper that's going to be able to properly compact 6" of material :no:

Sparky Boy
Jul. 15, 2012, 06:20 PM
I don't think there's any walk-behind vibrating rolling tamper that's going to be able to properly compact 6" of material :no:

Yeah, I agree here. Plus its an area 30 x 180-ish.