PDA

View Full Version : Do cooling vest really work?

MightyLove
Jul. 11, 2012, 01:42 PM
I'm trying to survive this summer without stopping riding completely, and I keep seeing these ads for cooling vests...do they really work? Keep in mind I'm in the SE where the humidity is really high.

Jul. 11, 2012, 02:12 PM
I saw them for the first time last weekend at the PVDA Dressage show here in MD, it was HOT and there were several riders showing in them, several riders putting them on after rides, and walking around in them. Most of the volunteers had them and I talked to one ring steward who said they were a life saver. I plan on getting one.

pheasantknoll
Jul. 11, 2012, 02:28 PM
I don't like gimmicks and refused to try one for a while. Finally, I was so hot I caved in and tried my friends. Bought one on the spot. I thought it would make my clothes all wet underneath, but it doesn't really. I LOVE mine. I don't know why I don't wear it all t he time. Like when I am weedwhacking. I think I'll try it.:)

PKN

2horseowner
Jul. 11, 2012, 02:47 PM
Best place to buy from?

MightyLove
Jul. 11, 2012, 02:52 PM
Any brands better than others?

nextyear
Jul. 11, 2012, 02:54 PM
My answer is NO in the high humidity they keep you cool for about 10 minutes then I felt hotter! Threw it away!

wildlifer
Jul. 11, 2012, 10:05 PM
No! You can read my review here:

http://www.teamflyingsolo.com/2011/06/this-is-how-we-dont-roll-majykal.html

But basically, they work via evaporation. Which is great if you live in Utah. But in the humid SE, you might as well wrap yourself in a wet sweater. Blech.

I do use their scarfy thing now though and it does help a bit, although a wet bandana might do the same thing.

vxf111
Jul. 11, 2012, 11:02 PM
My answer is NO in the high humidity they keep you cool for about 10 minutes then I felt hotter! Threw it away!

Agree. In dry climates they are awesome. In humid climates, worse than going without. Bummer as it's a neat concept.

Simbalism
Jul. 12, 2012, 01:59 AM
I live in Va and I think they help. Do they stay ice cold? No. I wet it and put in my cooler if I am traveling somewhere to ride or in the barn freezer after wetting while I am tacking my horse up. I have the Cool Medics brand. I recently found an item called Chilly Pad by Frogg Toggs which works quite well. It stays cool for quite a while. I wrap it around my neck. eta: I understand that the vest works off evaporation. I don't really freeze it just get it cool. It feels really good when you are already hot and put on the cool vest until the evaporation starts.

ThirdCharm
Jul. 12, 2012, 07:27 AM
I'm in NC, which is presently quite hot and humid. I bought a hyper kewl vest and it definitely helps! I wish I could afford one with the cool packs too.... But, for $39, this works!

Jennifer

TJS5701
Jul. 12, 2012, 12:18 PM
Look at www.coolvest.com They have cool vests that do not need evaporation to be effective. Cooling the core for up to 2 1/2 hours in 100 degree heat.

raave05
Jul. 12, 2012, 12:29 PM
Look at www.coolvest.com They have cool vests that do not need evaporation to be effective. Cooling the core for up to 2 1/2 hours in 100 degree heat.

I think you have to watch out for the weight on those though. My brother uses one (maybe not the same, but similar) for motocross, and while it definitely works, it is pretty heavy.

TJS5701
Jul. 12, 2012, 12:49 PM
Total weight less than 5 lbs. with the cool packs.

Dressage Extensions
Jul. 12, 2012, 12:54 PM
Best place to buy from?

We sell a line of Cool Medics riding vests that have been extremely good sellers this past spring/summer.

They are constructed from a three-layer fabric that by combining hydrophilic fibers into a fibrous batting core and a thermally conductive lining, will provide cooling after allowing the product to soak in water for 5-10 seconds. The water activates the cooling process by charging the fibers with moisture and creating an environment for evaporation. When moisture in the batting evaporates, heat is removed and cools the surrounding area, transferring the cooling effect to the wearer.

Depending upon the environment this cooling could last up to 8 hours, and can be recharged again by simply immersing the product in water to restart the cooling process. :yes:

We sell a variety of colors including white, pink, light blue, olive, silver, tan plaid and black plaid. We also sell short vests for a shadbelly!
http://www.dressageextensions.com/ProductDetail.asp?KEY=6438
http://www.dressageextensions.com/ProductDetail.asp?KEY=64389
http://www.dressageextensions.com/ProductDetail.asp?KEY=6439

vxf111
Jul. 12, 2012, 12:58 PM
You're not supposed to have to put the Cool Medics vest in COLD water or freeze it to have it cool you. It's supposed to be the hydrophilic process that keeps you cool. If what makes you stay cool is freezing a vest, you don't need an expensive Cool Medics vest-- you can just take any old tee shirt or vest, dunk it in water, and freeze it. It's the hydrophilic cooling that's thwarted by humidity. I am sure plain old freezing a vest things works great even in humidity.

Dressage Extensions
Jul. 12, 2012, 01:08 PM
You're not supposed to have to put the Cool Medica vest in COLD water or freeze it to have it cool you. It's supposed to be the hydrophilic process that keeps you cool. If what makes you stay cool is freezing a vest, you don't need an expensive Cool Medics vest-- you can just take any old tee shirt or vest, dunk it in water, and freeze it. It's the hydrophilic cooling that's thwarted by humidity. I am sure plain old freezing a vet things works great even in humidity.

Soaking or freezing a shirt or vest works great but isn't very flattering under a coat when it starts dripping and leaving unflattering water marks. And, in intense heat or humidity, the liquid is just going to dry quickly, causing the wearer to have to wet their vest/shirt again and again. With a vest like the cool medics, all you need to do is wet it, ring it out, and enjoy the benefits.

vxf111
Jul. 12, 2012, 02:02 PM
Soaking or freezing a shirt or vest works great but isn't very flattering under a coat when it starts dripping and leaving unflattering water marks. And, in intense heat or humidity, the liquid is just going to dry quickly, causing the wearer to have to wet their vest/shirt again and again. With a vest like the cool medics, all you need to do is wet it, ring it out, and enjoy the benefits.

I know, I have one! They just don't work very well in humidity :( but in dry heat they are lovely!!

pheasantknoll
Jul. 12, 2012, 02:41 PM
My vest is the Hypewkewl by Techniche

vxf111
Jul. 12, 2012, 03:09 PM

You have to re-wet the cool medics once it dries completely?! So that's no different than any non-specialty vest. And the cool medics vest also leaves "moist" spots if it's sopping. There's no reason you woudn't wring out a regular vest to the same degree you wring out a cool medics?!

I get that you sell these for a living... but let's be objective. The cool medics works by transferring moisture out of the body. The vest can only do that when it can actually dry. So it can really only work properly in non-humid weather. In humid weather, the hydrophilic properties can't work. The vest has hydrophilic fibers but they can only work when they can attract moisture off the wearer's skin.

In all OTHER respects it's a piece of fabric like any other. You can wet it, wring it out, and freeze it. Just exactly the same, NO DIFFERENT, than you can wet, wring out, and freeze a vest made of most any fabric. You can leave it gross and sopping. You can wring it nearly dry. Same as any other vest. It is no more less/more likely to drip than another vest made of some other fabric. It needs to be re-wet to be effective, just like a vest you wet and freeze would have to be re-wet and frozen.

TJS5701
Jul. 12, 2012, 03:30 PM
The RPCM Cool Vest from Glacier Tek works equally well in both low and high humidity. It utilizes cool packs that hold a temperature of 59 degrees for up to 2 1/2 hours in 100 degree heat. Packs are recharged in about 30 minutes in ice water. Cool packs are made of a natural material that is rated food grade by the FDA and bio preferred by USDA.

rivenoak
Jul. 12, 2012, 04:09 PM
I have a CoolMedics vest & here in AZ, it works very well. At times, my core feels too cold.

I tried their little in-the-helmet beanie, but it didn't comfortably fit. I have a Cookie's cool cap & that works better, as there is much less bulk.