PDA

View Full Version : Places to Stay during Millbrook HT?

sarah88
Jul. 11, 2012, 01:35 PM
Hey, any suggestions for places to stay or warnings of places to stay away from? It seems like at this point we will have to drive a little ways to the event from a hotel..

yellowbritches
Jul. 11, 2012, 01:53 PM
I've always ended up in Poughkeepsie. Can never seem to get or afford anything closer. I have stayed in a few different places. The last place was a Comfort Inn, I think. Very nice, not to expensive (though, had I been traveling alone, I would have looked for cheaper!). If there is a MicroTel in the area, I would give THAT a go if you're on a budget. I have stayed in a few and have been impressed with all of them.

NeverTime
Jul. 11, 2012, 02:43 PM
I always camped there, in my trailer or a tent or whatever.

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 11, 2012, 03:18 PM
Good luck finding anything close. Basically just B&Bs....and you just have to call. We got two rooms in one a couple of weeks ago but they were filling up fast (I think there are a few weddings taking up spaces) There are more chain hotels/Motels over in Poughkeepsie.

Gracington
Jul. 12, 2012, 11:52 AM
try googling Cedar Crest Farm in Pine Plains NY - I think they have apartments they rent by the day/weekend

LisaB
Jul. 13, 2012, 07:31 PM
It's a little hike to Poughkeepsie but a pretty hike.
And for goodness sake, lock up your wallet!

Rabtfarm
Jul. 13, 2012, 07:54 PM
If you have a big gang it might work out to rent a trailer..we did 2 years ago over by the Taconic Parkway near Rhinebeck..still not terribly close but cheaper. This is one event where camping pays.. Poughkeepsie is a good 1/2 hr plus away..good luck!

SMF11
Jul. 13, 2012, 09:40 PM
I'm sure it is booked, but the Cottonwood Inn in Millbrook is the cheapest nearest hotel. REALLY cheap is The Willows in Amenia (though come to think of it I don't know for sure that it still is in business).

It is true, it is an expensive area.

yellowbritches
Jul. 13, 2012, 09:50 PM
Poughkeepsie IS a hike. Thank goodness Millbrook has great hospitality with nice wine and cheese things most evenings and a decent party one night.

We did stumble across the greatest, coolest little Irish pub not too far from our hotel last time we were there. Not sure what it was called, but it was truly a pub with yummy Irish comfort food and good beer. It was near the Comfort Inn...

RiverBendPol
Jul. 14, 2012, 01:25 PM
The Willows is cheap for a reason...Think Norman Bates with a religious bent...

Rosmarie...o gosh, I JUST forgot her last name!...runs the Alpen Haus B&B in Amenia-8 minutes to Horse Trials, 2 minutes to the 4 Brothers Restaurant...
(845) 373-9568 ..Yummy breakfast, comfy beds plenty of hot water, no obnoxious B&B fluff. You can't go wrong.

Rosmarie used to own the Hilltop which is also nice. The new owners are a little too chatty for me but it is 1/2 mile from Alpen Haus. Easy as pie to get to these 2 spots. There is a gas station at the bottom of the road for easy ice pick up on XC morning.

The ease of commute really makes up for the cost of these B&Bs. Poughkeepsie is ages away if you have a 7:30 dressage or want to take part in the competitors' party ;-)

SMF11
Jul. 14, 2012, 04:26 PM
The Willows is cheap for a reason...Think Norman Bates with a religious bent...

Well, this is true . . . :lol: It is also clean but spartan.

SMF11
Jul. 14, 2012, 04:27 PM
Maybe I should rent out a room in my house? I am exactly 15 min. from the horse trials . . . hmmm . . . .

wishnwell
Jul. 14, 2012, 05:27 PM
Maybe I should rent out a room in my house? I am exactly 15 min. from the horse trials . . . hmmm . . . .

:yes:
I'm a last min entry for my daughter and her friend....now hunting down a room that won't kill the bank! Or take forever to get to

KayBee
Jul. 17, 2012, 04:38 PM
Hey, any suggestions for places to stay or warnings of places to stay away from? It seems like at this point we will have to drive a little ways to the event from a hotel..

Have you checked out Connecticut? It may not be possible, given it's a weekend, but there's the Sharon Motor Lodge, the Inn at Ironmasters in Salisbury, plus B&Bs. You'd be looking at at least an hour drive from there (but a pretty drive!).

Not sure what's in Millerton. Or Amenia. Or...

SMF11
Jul. 17, 2012, 06:07 PM
Have you checked out Connecticut? It may not be possible, given it's a weekend, but there's the Sharon Motor Lodge, the Inn at Ironmasters in Salisbury, plus B&Bs. You'd be looking at at least an hour drive from there (but a pretty drive!).

Not sure what's in Millerton. Or Amenia. Or...

No, Sharon Motor Lodge is probably 25 min. from the show grounds. Salisbury is a bit farther. There is only one B & B in Millerton, called Simmons Way, but undoubtedly it is booked up plus it is pricey. The Interlaken Inn, in Lakeville CT is 30 minutes from the show grounds. Lakeville also has The Wake Robin Inn.

Amenia has a couple of places discussed above (The Willows and Alpen Haus, and Hilltop B&B's).

If anyone has any questions about the area let me know, I'm smack in the middle of things.

DefyingGravityEventing
Jul. 17, 2012, 06:26 PM
ah just entered too! Now to find nearby stabling and housing. ready set go pony go!

woodrwo
Jul. 17, 2012, 07:29 PM

Sign me up!!
:D

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 17, 2012, 08:12 PM
We got rooms at Jenny's Country Manor....there may be some more.

http://www.jennysmanor.com/

wishnwell
Jul. 18, 2012, 01:25 PM
So anyone able to tell me what the actual driving distance would be from Fishkill, NY? Desperately seeking a place to stay under $90 night...

ss3777
Jul. 18, 2012, 07:07 PM
This was just posted on the Area 1 website:

7-18-12
Boarding and Lodging for Millbrook: Oblong Ridge Farm offers temporary lodging and stabling options Millbrook and Town Hill Farm, allowing competitors and horses to stay together on a quiet, conveniently located property, 20 minutes from the events. Horses are boarded in foaling-sized stalls with pasture turn-out available, along with access to a hot/cold wash stall. Owners have the option of tent camping or having a room in a shared house. Rate for one horse plus 1-2 owners, tent camping: $80/night. Rate for one horse plus 1-2 owners, indoor lodging: $100/night. Stall service, extra shavings, and hay available for additional fees. www.oblongridgefarm.com 8454020142 info@oblongridgefarm.com

wishnwell
Jul. 19, 2012, 12:32 AM
Oh Darn, I just made my reservations...will keep it in mind if there isn't enough stabling though.

SMF11
Jul. 19, 2012, 08:23 AM
So anyone able to tell me what the actual driving distance would be from Fishkill, NY? Desperately seeking a place to stay under $90 night...

Mapquest would tell you the exact drive time; I'd expect it to be around 45 minutes.

Seriously, if there are rooms The Willows is the cheapest place to stay. It is clean and has been in business for decades. The owner is very religious (last I knew she did not rent rooms to unmarried couples) but she's just eccentric. There are no cheap places to stay otherwise (under $100/night) at least that I'm aware of. It is just an expensive part of the country! :lol: