PDA

View Full Version : 3 Years out of practice, ready to get going again!

KateMcCall
Jul. 11, 2012, 09:43 AM
Hi everyone!
This is my first post on the Chronicle forums.
First off I would just like to say, you guys are a really cool community! I have been looking for a good horse forum to hang around on for a while now.

Anyway, so what I wanted to post about, was some tips to help get back into the eventing shape.
I was eventing at Novice 3 years ago, and unfortunately I became ill with still currently unknown reasons. I eventually had to quit riding because I had no energy or motivation, and ended up selling my event horse, Izzy. I ended up losing track of riding and became more interested in other things, until recently I have decided to get my butt in gear, and work hard to start riding again!!
I have a 6 year old Iberian warmblood, that I am hoping to take to a schooling show this spring and do Beg. Novice. My biggest issue right now is not having enough stamina or muscle while riding. I can do flat work fine but jumping becomes more of a challenge.

Any tips that any of you have, exercise(on or off the horse), diet, etc that could possibly help me, would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks for reading, and here's a pic of me and my Iberian, Julio (http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/253551_152214811515694_1641351_n.jpg) when he was 3 and just barely under saddle!

FLeckenAwesome
Jul. 11, 2012, 01:28 PM
Wow!! He is GORGEOUS!!!

No real words of wisdom other than the general stuff.. eat well, sleep well, and spend increasing amounts of time in the saddle. But I did want to say Welcome Back!!! Glad you are getting back into it. :)

judybigredpony
Jul. 11, 2012, 01:31 PM
I ride to get fit...and take my blood pressure Med's and keep my Lyme checked every 6 months 1 bad bout lasting years undetected was almost a wipe-out...

brightskyfarm
Jul. 11, 2012, 01:50 PM
There are no short cuts for this ...

Just lots of enjoyable miles and miles of riding ... trail and ring -- to hone your balance again .. and build your muscles. Long stretches of a posting trot will build all the muscles needed for jumping --- then work over cavaletti.

Take it slow --as long as you are riding, thats enough!

> I cant imagine not riding -- welcome back

KateMcCall
Jul. 12, 2012, 11:17 AM
Thanks everyone, I appreciate it!
It feels great to be back.

PrinceSheik325
Jul. 12, 2012, 12:41 PM
Welcome back! I find that a steady schedule of riding and skiing keeps me fit with minimal gym time. When you're riding, ride without stirrups as much as possible. You'll work muscles you never knew you had. If you live somewhere near mountains, I highly recommend skiing in the winter. I find that like riding, it's a sport where you have to plot your course and your strategy for making it through unscathed. Not to mention it burns tons of calories!

KateMcCall
Jul. 12, 2012, 12:46 PM
Welcome back! I find that a steady schedule of riding and skiing keeps me fit with minimal gym time. When you're riding, ride without stirrups as much as possible. You'll work muscles you never knew you had. If you live somewhere near mountains, I highly recommend skiing in the winter. I find that like riding, it's a sport where you have to plot your course and your strategy for making it through unscathed. Not to mention it burns tons of calories!

I will have to try it out! I actually live in Utah (2002 winter olympics were here!)
So I'm sure there's plenty of places for me to try skiing out :)

PrinceSheik325
Jul. 12, 2012, 12:48 PM
I will have to try it out! I actually live in Utah (2002 winter olympics were here!)
So I'm sure there's plenty of places for me to try skiing out :)

Boy am I jealous!! Try Alta - you can't go wrong there! :-)

KateMcCall
Jul. 12, 2012, 12:49 PM
Boy am I jealous!! Try Alta - you can't go wrong there! :-)

Will do!