PDA

View Full Version : Mini Trials dates - why??

tle
Jul. 11, 2012, 07:44 AM
Why does it seem that most mini trials are 1 days (YAY) held on Sunday only (Boo). *I* don't mind, but I know several folks who do. I've found exactly 1 mini trial in this area that is running on a Saturday... and that was this past weekend (which for other reasons - like a state quarantine - we were unable to attend).

tarheelmd07
Jul. 11, 2012, 08:05 AM
I think a lot of mini trials are aimed at kids (with school responsibilities and parents who work) and adult ammy folks ( many of whom work) - with the ht on a Sunday, these folks have Saturday to get packed and ready, walk their course, etc - as an adult ammy who works full-time, getting off work on a Friday and having to ride the horse and pack for a show all on Friday pm is tough!

asterix
Jul. 11, 2012, 08:24 AM
Also a lot of places rely on volunteers to help set up -- much easier to get them to work on Saturday than during the week.

tle
Jul. 11, 2012, 08:43 AM
Guess that makes sense. I suppose I'm just used to when I was showing regularly... it was just me. And I work. So I either took time off work to get ready and get there (for a full weekend show) or I got there late and adjusted.

Have a couple kids at my barn that want to try eventing at a mini-trial but the families have thus far said no to showing on Sundays. We had JUST worked out a plan to hit the Team CEO event this past weekend (including driving down Friday evening and the mom, who works nights, would join us when she got off work early Sat morning) when the quarantine hit... so now we're on the hunt for a new plan. :)

CarolinaGirl
Jul. 11, 2012, 08:44 AM
I would LOVE Sunday one days. I'm a vet tech and have to work every other Saturday from 8-12 so generally don't get to go to them. Would be soooo helpful to have some Sunday schooling HT's around.

dappled
Jul. 11, 2012, 08:54 AM
It's not as though, if it were a horse trial, you would only be showing on Saturday. They are typically both days. Either way, you'd be showing on Sunday...

tle
Jul. 11, 2012, 08:57 AM
Right. which is why we're talking mini trials... those fabulous, unrecognized, *1 DAY* affairs at local farm with low entry fees and wonderful schooling opportunities for those just starting out in the sport (looking at Starter/BN levels at most)

Parker'sMom
Jul. 11, 2012, 09:05 AM
Where have I been but, what quarantine?

tle
Jul. 11, 2012, 09:47 AM
Where have I been but, what quarantine?

the barn I ride at was under a 60 day state quarantine following a positive coggins draw on the barn owner's son's pony. Pony was euthanized following a 2nd positive draw. All horses on the property were tested after the euthanization, at 30 days and at 60 days (TODAY!). Pony was only a carrier - never sick - and no one else has tested positive at all. We fully expect (as does the State Vet) the quarantine to be lifted tomorrow when the results return.

Parker'sMom
Jul. 11, 2012, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the info. I thought it was a larger quarantine that I had somehow missed info about.

NMK
Jul. 11, 2012, 10:57 AM
Since the mini's are geared towards the less experienced horses and riders they offer schooling on the XC course the day before the event (weather permitting of course) which would be Saturday. Hence the Sunday competition day. Since a lot of folks do not have access to xc school regularly, this is an important component of the mini's around here.

Nancy

Commander Cody
Jul. 11, 2012, 02:06 PM
I'd also bet that it's easier to get volunteer help to do all the pre-trial set-up work on a Saturday than on a Friday, so easier to get ready Sat and show Sun for the organizer as well as the riders. I do that with my Dressage schooling shows. Even for a small event, it's amazing how much prep work there is.

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Jul. 11, 2012, 07:20 PM
Oh man, bummer bout the pony! Any idea where he got infected, or was he new to the barn and regular testing??

Hilary
Jul. 11, 2012, 07:26 PM
Interesting - in Area 1, schooling things (Trials, derbies etc) are on Saturdays, Sundays and Wednesdays. All one-day formats.

Why does the family not want to compete on Sundays? (church, traditional family days etc?) Just curious.

Very sad about the pony. There was a positive test in NH last year too.

tle
Jul. 11, 2012, 08:39 PM
the pony was new (within a year) and thus wasn't tested last year. And he came from a local H/J barn that shows so no one really worried that he didn't come with one (although 1-the H/J barn now disavowed him coming from there and 2- we now know that it's a USDA requirement for the seller to provide one). He was caught in the regular testing of the barn's horses during yearly shots.

As for why no Sundays... I think it's a church thing. I think they WILL show on Sundays if that's the only option, especially as they go up the levels... but it's a VERY STRONG preference not to (and at this stage it's unlikely)

LAZ
Jul. 11, 2012, 09:00 PM
I do my Combined Tests/Derby's on Saturday's but the two mini-trials on Sundays. I do the mini trials on Sunday's because it's easier to get set up help, but also mainly because people asked me to originally.

I'd be just as happy to do them on Saturdays if that was what the majority of people indicated they wanted instead.