PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Folk--A Marek's related Question

PhoenixFarm
Jul. 10, 2012, 09:05 PM
(And please don't direct me to BYC, I've just spent an HOUR reading stuff over there and haven't gotten an answer, LOL, plus those people scare me a little).

I am slowly assembling a flock of Speckled Sussex hens, and I plan to eventually have them as a breeding flock. I have three vaccinated pullets (18 weeks) and have just been presented with the opportunity to acquire an unvaccinated laying hen (24 months).

Would you do it? I've read so many conflicting things about vaccinating adult birds, and the effectiveness of the vaccine, etc. etc. And I just have a simple question. Would picking up this hen be a bad idea?

Thank you.

Daydream Believer
Jul. 10, 2012, 09:11 PM
None of mine are vaccinated but I typically don't bring in outside birds. If your young hens are vaccinated, I'd not worry too much but there are other diseases that can be carried in by a new bird.

leaf
Jul. 11, 2012, 10:37 AM
Speckled Sussex are my favorites! When I order chicks from the hatchery I always have them vaccinated. However, chicks that hatch on the farm don't get the vaccine and I've not had problems, I suppose those chicks get an acquired immunity from the hen. But I too would worry about bringing in an outside bird. Does Murray McMurray hatchery have a website? Just thinking you could call them. Also, check out the recent Harriet thread here on Around the Farm. Some posters listed some good online resources.