PDA

View Full Version : Show coat opinion

FLeckenAwesome
Jul. 10, 2012, 09:40 PM
Hey Guys,
so... in a fit of retail therapy, I bought a new navy show helmet and a new navy show coat. Because I also got a new dressage saddle, which is chocolate brown... and ooooh, the navy will look oh so pretty with it. :)

Can you tell I'm super sad and depressed about pony being diagnosed with knee arthritis. God, I HOPE HOPE HOPE the IRAP works.... I know I still have so much to be thankful for, but....I WANNA RIDE...... And jump..... (and use my new stuff that I bought - ha!!)

Anyways... I got the coat today. It's this one.
http://www.smartpakequine.com/equine-couture-raleigh-soft-shell-hunt-coat-10291p.aspx?cm_vc=Search

And I have to say.. I love it!! It fits perfect (aside from slightly long sleeves) and is stretchy and comfy. It's also machine washable which is a HUGE plus for me. It seems pretty cool too. BUT... it's kinda funky. The material (because it's that soft shell) is kinda shiny... and wrinkled, which I know I'll have to wash and iron... but the navy is almost too bright. I'm afraid in bright sunlight I'll be really shiny!! And we kinda stick out enough as it is...

What do you guys think? I love it enough that I'm almost tempted to just shine my way through the ring, but.. I would hate to wash it, iron it, not be able to return it... and realize it's really really bright and annoying.

Anyone have it? Or anything similar?

Neigh-Neigh
Jul. 10, 2012, 09:56 PM
I love it!

ACMEeventing
Jul. 10, 2012, 10:07 PM
No offense, but you know darn well the crowds will be drooling over your spotted pony; no one will notice a little shine :)

And I happen to love the whole navy look. I kinda wish I'd picked it back when I was shopping.

FLeckenAwesome
Jul. 10, 2012, 10:11 PM
ha ha... thank you acme! Yeah... part of the reason I didn't want to stand out quite as much, but you're right... can't really help it. I guess I am going full scale REBEL... spotted pony, brown saddle, navy coat and hat... ha ha... I should just get brown tall boots while I'm at it :)

FLeventer
Jul. 11, 2012, 02:18 AM
I ride in a navy dressage coat and hat. Love the look!

FLeckenAwesome
Jul. 11, 2012, 04:11 AM
It's not the fact that it's navy... just the fact that it's kinda a shiny navy.... Maybe I'm being paranoid... I'll take it out in the sun tomorrow and see :)

Thanks guys!

VicariousRider
Jul. 11, 2012, 09:05 AM
This is a common issue with the less expensive soft shells (including the Grand Prix one) and who wants to spend $700 on and Animo!?!?!?!?!?!?! :eek: ... unless someone wants to give me one. :D

Anyhow, I talked to a sales person from Rick's Heritage Saddlery about it at Devon and she said she was a bit put off by them at first but they have gotten so popular that now everyone is riding in shiny coats (at horse shows, at least). She said that the thing that sold her was how comfy it was. She said she could give a hoot about the shininess now that she has one!

Squirt
Jul. 11, 2012, 09:57 AM
cHeck the care label, I don't think that you're supposed to iron them.

Chouteau
Jul. 11, 2012, 10:42 AM
I love it & would just drool over the brown boots! It looks like classic navy on SmartPak's site. I don't know if you can use me as an honest opinion though, I'm a bit obsessed with the whole navy thing. I got an Animo (really cheap on ebay) over the winter - it took a bit of getting used to - it's tighter & different but I'm just loving it, stretchy & comfy (I don't think it's any cooler than a traditional coat but definately not hotter). It came wadded up in a bag & I was appalled but put it on straight out of the bag & it was lovely - so easy to wash & wear (no ironing needed!)
I don't have a picture of it yet but here is a video for an idea: http://youtu.be/TH20XBSRA-Q

Marigold1
Jul. 11, 2012, 11:23 AM
Very pretty! The navy coat/hat combo looks incredibly sharp. I think this is a great choice with the brown leather as well.

This seems to be slightly cooler/comfy too!

Although it doesn't look shiny on the website photo, even if it is more so in person, I'm sure no one else will notice.

Desert Topaz
Jul. 11, 2012, 11:58 AM
I have that coat. Mine doesn't have any wrinkles and it really should with the way its been treated :D It is a bit shiny, but I would rate it's shininess low compared with some of the other softshells. I love my coat for a completely different reason than I thought: thanks to the stretch I was able to put several layers underneath it when we were doing dressage in 50+ mph winds and it had been snowing earlier in the day.

I also just bought a navy helmet to go with it and my two other navy coats. What can I say? I like navy and it looks fabulous on my pony. Alas, picture of one of the old coats, not the new one. (http://ballybran.org/penny/enterata.JPG)

I don't think you need to worry about the shininess of the coat. I don't think people are really going to notice. And if they do? Personally, I'm all for being a bit different. But I'm an adult who rides a white pony :D

pattnic
Jul. 11, 2012, 12:10 PM
There's some pictures in this blog post of dakotawyatt wearing hers:

http://tailsoftheottb.blogspot.com/2012/05/grand-finale-or-stadium.html

I plan on getting the Equine Couture DS Coat (which is basically the same, but with a tan collar and red piping).

Also, wishing you all the best with the knee arthritis!!! My wonderful mare was diagnosed a year ago with "significant arthritis" in her knee... so I know the feelings that go along with it!

FLeckenAwesome
Jul. 11, 2012, 02:07 PM
Thanks guys!!! That is SUPER Helpful :)

It does look great in those pics of both y'all. :) And... I love the white pony!!!

I think I'll keep it. It is super comfy and stretchy!!! No feeling like I can't release. And it actually does say to iron, but low heat. So we'll see. I'll hang it up and see if I can hang the wrinkles away as it did come wadded up.

Yay!! Now to just get back in the show ring. ;)

runNjump86
Jul. 11, 2012, 07:16 PM
Keep it!! Be a rebel!! If it helps I have a dark purple coat, black boots/helmet, and brown tack on a flashy half-Arab!! :D

Tough luck on the knee diagnosis...hang in there! My first horse was an ex-Arabian English Pleasure horse, and at 19 was showing arthritis in his shoulders something fierce. We put him on a joint supplement that was shockingly good and cost-effective. I know a lot of people don't think that feed-thru supplements work, but we saw a difference.
http://www.springtimeinc.com/product/j-flex-concentrate/horses

Do you have new pics of the baby?!

ETA - I think you should have a dress-up day with Fleck and take pics, that way you can see for yourself how the whole ensemble will look.

FLeckenAwesome
Jul. 11, 2012, 09:13 PM
hee hee... I may just have to do that!!!
And oh dear... it's like you just asked Gramma to show off her grandkids!!! DO I!!!!!?????!!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/media/set/?set=a.10150892870340967.408801.730570966&type=3
There's also another album of the less than one year old pics. And OMG!!!! I had so much fun today. Took Fleck for a trail ride and ponied Danny and they were both great!!!! Danny would do the ditch, the up and down bank, up the bank out of the water.. and every time he'd get all prancy and proud of himself. And Fleck would be like "oh come on.. that's nothing you little peewee"!> hee hee... I was cracking up the whole ride :) but I seriously CAN'T wait for Danny to be going...

and ooooh, purple!!! I bet that's gorgeous!!! thanks for the link.

runNjump86
Jul. 12, 2012, 02:55 AM
He's sooo cute in all his awkward-yearling glory! They are like big goofy sponges when they're babies...that's awesome that Fleck is being such a wonderful teacher!! Hopefully it will make your job easier in a couple of years!