PDA

View Full Version : Another saddle thread - Amerigo Jump CC

Hollywood
Jul. 10, 2012, 06:34 PM
Anyone ride in the Amerigo Jump CC dual or monoflap - I prefer a saddle with a narrow twist. I have a Devoucoux that doesn't fit my horses, but it fits me and I like it. And I just tried an Antares that I loved even more than the Devoucoux.

I seem to prefer the french saddles, but the saddle fitter I am working with prefers saddles with wool flocking as they are adjustable. And I am on a budget, so not an option to get a new high end saddle.

I've tried some of the wool flocked jump saddles and they all are not narrow enough in the twist - I've tried Albion, Vega, and a Black Country Ricochet (which I liked ok, but not enough to purchase).

The Amerigo is on her list and I am looking for feedback on the balance and twist.

TIA

jn4jenny
Jul. 10, 2012, 07:18 PM
If you tried a Vega, you have already functionally tried an Amerigo. Vega is the synthetic cousin to Amerigo and in terms of seat fit/shape, everything in the Vega/Amerigo lineup is very similar. There are variations across their lineup in flap angle/cut and seat depth, but the twist/seat profile is fundamentally similar on all of them.

I own and love an Amerigo CC, but in your position, I wouldn't even bother trying one.

I know you didn't ask, but in your position, I'd look at the Frank Baines Reflex and possibly the wool-flocked options from Prestige (custom-ordered Prestige Eventing, the Arezzo, a wool-flocked version of the Golden Star, reflocking an existing Prestige to wool, etc). The Baines Reflex is, IMO, the closest thing to a "French" saddle coming out of Walsall, England: fairly forward balance point, recessed stirrup bars similar to those seen Antares/Devoucoux trees, excellent leather quality, wool-flocked panels, and it tends to fit horses that are a good fit in Amerigo/Vega tack. Retails at $2900-$3000. The stock pictures don't do it justice, so here's a used one for reference:
http://shop.olsonstack.com/17_Frank_Baines_Reflex_Wide_Tree_p/8948.htm

Hollywood
Jul. 10, 2012, 07:33 PM
jn4jenny - Thank you for the input. I knew that the Vega Monoflap was made by Amerigo, I was hoping the CC might be a bit more suitable or close to the Devoucoux or Antares.

What I did not like about the Vega saddle was the padding at the stirrup bars. And I felt like I sat on top of the saddle versus in the saddle, and could not get that close contact feel around the horse. I sat in a Pinerolo, and I liked it alot better than the Vega - and this Pinerolo had no padding at the stirrup bars. It seem hard to find any used Pinerolo's, so the saddle fitter suggested a Jump CC.

I've not heard of the Frank Baines Reflex - I will forward this on and see what the saddle fitter thinks of this saddle. She did mention the Prestige Eventer - so that may be an option too.

Hilary
Jul. 10, 2012, 08:13 PM
I have a Prestige Eventer which I really like for a lot of reasons, however it has a very vertical balance point and I had a horse who needed me in the back seat ALL the time and it wasn't helping.

Looking for something different, I tried a bunch of different saddles, including the Amerigo and the Vega and on both I felt like they were a CC version of the Prestige. I didn't notice the twist particularly, which tells me it's pretty narrow (wide twists do not fit me). I felt they were very close contact which I liked in principle but not for that horse. (the prestige's twist is medium, not narrow, btw)

Try the Prestige if you can find one. Mine has fit 3 very different horses, (and a 4th sort of so so) too, which is really nice. It's foam and they all liked it without special pads.

IMHO Saddle fitters don't like foam saddles b/c they can't tweak them every 3 months....

IrishDeclan
Jul. 10, 2012, 08:29 PM
I have an Amerigo pinerolo monoflap that I bought new in 2010. I fell in love with my trainer's Amerigo that she won at the AEC's in 2006. The padding at the stirrup bar is definitely a new thing that was added sometime between those years as hers does not have it. I'll also say that I sat in a Vega and it rode NOTHING like the real Amerigo. The balance was completely different and wonky for me. I have a big (17.2) horse that likes to jump really round and hard and the Amerigo gives me the greatest sense of security. Another saddle I tried and really liked was the Dominus Bruce Davidson. I think they're pretty hard to find used though. If you like a narrow twist you might try a Beval Natural. I had one that was like ramming a 2x4 between your butt cheeks!! ;-) Good luck with the saddle search, I know how frustrating it can be!!

jn4jenny
Jul. 10, 2012, 10:16 PM
What I did not like about the Vega saddle was the padding at the stirrup bars. And I felt like I sat on top of the saddle versus in the saddle, and could not get that close contact feel around the horse. I sat in a Pinerolo, and I liked it alot better than the Vega - and this Pinerolo had no padding at the stirrup bars. It seem hard to find any used Pinerolo's, so the saddle fitter suggested a Jump CC.

Ah, well if that's the only issue, then by all means seek out an older Amerigo. The padding is a fairly new thing, like within the last two years or so. Mine doesn't have the padding and I prefer it that way.

For shopping purposes, be warned that "Pinerolo" is not a particular model of Amerigo saddle. It is Amerigo-ese for their "premium calfskin leather" and that word is printed on many of their saddles made of that particular type of leather. They do market a few of their saddles with that word in the name, such as the Amerigo Pinerolo CC, but it justs mean "the base model with upgraded leather" and they are often indistinguishable to the casual observer from the DJ or Cervia built in the Pinerolo leather. ETA the knee roll/block placement can give it away, but the point is, don't just jump for anything advertised on the market as "Pinerolo" assuming that it'll be a CC. If in doubt, consult the serial number; it will give away which Amerigo model you're really looking at.

IrishDeclan, the flap angle and knee block placement on the Vega are quite different from the Amerigo monoflap. Wonder if that's what caused the Vega to feel very different to you?

I should briefly say, as a general comment, that I think the term "narrow twist" is almost useless. I will not give my full, obnoxious rant on that topic except to point out that Hollywood has named at least four saddles to her okay/acceptable/great list that most fitters would call "medium to medium-wide twists." But who cares what it's called as long as it works for horse and rider, right?

Hollywood
Jul. 10, 2012, 10:33 PM
I should briefly say, as a general comment, that I think the term "narrow twist" is almost useless. I will not give my full, obnoxious rant on that topic except to point out that Hollywood has named at least four saddles to her okay/acceptable/great list that most fitters would call "medium to medium-wide twists." But who cares what it's called as long as it works for horse and rider, right?

Interesting - I'm open to hear your rant on the topic. Maybe the twist isn't my issue, it may be more of overall seat, balance, or position issue I am dealing with.

Are you a saddle fitter? I don't want to be a PITA to work with - but I want a certain "feel"... and perhaps I am taking the wrong approach.

IrishDeclan
Jul. 11, 2012, 12:43 AM
Jn4jenny- that could definitely have been the problem. I felt like I couldn't get my leg in the right place, and it was just one of those saddles that I "fought" with. I'm glad also that you mentioned the different models. I ended up with the DJ monoflap as the rep thought it fit my horse's shape better. My trainer had the CC monoflap. I tried so many different saddles and am just so glad that I finally found something that works for me and my horse!!