PDA

View Full Version : Wild Parsnip again

CVPeg
Jul. 10, 2012, 06:13 PM
Well, it's really awful this year. The wild parsnip is everywhere. Last year, it was pretty much confined to the edges of fields, and along roads.

I have a low field, maybe 3 acres, below my house, but in full view of all passersby. I usually get it mowed once or twice a year. Since everyone was so busy haying recently, I didn't bother anyone to see if they'd cut the field for me. (I have no equipment). Saw a little in the middle 10 days ago, but...

The field is full of it now. And any other field in several towns nearby that wasn't specifically planted this year, is full of it.

The stuff is really obnoxious. Very nasty rash if you are up against it, and don't wash it off before you sweat! :uhoh:

Should I bother any local farmers and see if they'll still mow it? (it will probably just spread the seed that much more, since they just leave what's mowed behind).

I have it mowed to make the lower part of my property attractive. It's not unattractive - just looks like goldenrod, but I, and many others, know what it is. What do I do to get it cleared out of that field? I don't have it hayed, since it's a landing place for out of control vehicles in the winter :eek:, and often swampy in the spring, and there have been consistent issues with road runoff on one 1/3 of the field. The cooperative extension told me the soil is good. When I looked into planting hay, my insurance company told me I'd have to include farming on my property description which would raise my premium. :mad: (I also have larger fields way up behind my house that I simply have mowed, and they are not infiltrated so far - seems most is along roads)

So for now, I'd just like to address my errant, "front door" field.

Alagirl
Jul. 10, 2012, 06:21 PM
Have you been in the wild Parsnips again? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZClkvvcTnA)

CVPeg
Jul. 10, 2012, 06:44 PM
Have you been in the wild Parsnips again? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZClkvvcTnA)

LOL:lol: Not yet - got my paper bag ready! :lol: