PDA

View Full Version : Saddle suggestions please!

dbolte
Jul. 10, 2012, 04:28 PM
So, I just had the saddle fitter look at my 5yo TB mare, and long story short I am now saddle shopping. I am looking for an all purpose/jumping saddle, medium tree, with a wide channel (3-4"), and possibly trapezius panels in front (I may have misspelled that). She will be coming back next week with some saddles for me to try, but in the meantime I'm doing my own search to see what I can find and in what price range. Any suggestions on saddles to consider? Ones to avoid?

If it helps, I am currently riding in a Stubben Artus, which I am very happy with, but the channel is a bit narrow for her, and we would have to modify the front panels, and then it wouldn't fit the other horses I'm riding. Sigh. I am also on a limited budget, so am primarily looking at used saddles.

purplnurpl
Jul. 10, 2012, 04:31 PM
I think those panels are the same as gussets...no?

Black country makes saddles with those panels.

Fancy That
Jul. 10, 2012, 06:30 PM
Agree on trying to find a used Black Country with wither gussets or dropped panel or skid rows or trap. panel. All of those will help for a horse that needs some filling in down alongside the withers.....

dbolte
Jul. 10, 2012, 07:26 PM
Hmmm. I defintely like the look of the BC saddles, but not sure I'll be able to find one in my price range...

scubed
Jul. 11, 2012, 02:35 PM
K panel is also the same. Check with Annette at www.hastilowusa.com as they have some nice used saddles http://www.hastilowusa.com/second-hand-sales.html including Black Country, Hastilow, and the occassional other brand

FolsomBlues
Jul. 11, 2012, 02:43 PM
I got a Black Country for my TB a few years back, best decision ever! There should be some used ones on the market. My guy needed the K panels as well. If you can swing it budget wise I totally recommend them.

Appsolute
Jul. 11, 2012, 03:18 PM
I am happy with my Collegiate Nobility – it’s a fixed tree, flocked (synthetic wool), deep seat for a jumping saddle, with blocks (saddle is modeled after the Albion K2) . Forward flap (which is great for my long thigh).

It has gusseted panels – front and back. Along with a flocking slot for easy adjustment. The gullet is very generous.

I don’t think collegiate is making these any more – but you can usually find them on clearance sales for around $800.

Here are some photos (from tack stores – from when I was saddle shopping).

Collegiate Nobility (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151817168072837.559327.616592836&type=1&l=3683f5d55f)

You can see more saddles on a rack in one of the pictures, and you can see the gussetted front panels.

Petstorejunkie
Jul. 11, 2012, 03:38 PM
I second the nobility

dbolte
Jul. 11, 2012, 04:05 PM
Wish I had a tack store like that in my area! The local one only carries consignment saddles, and they are really low on those at the moment...

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I have browsed the Hastilow website, but have not contacted them directly. I'll look into the Nobility too...

Appsolute
Jul. 12, 2012, 02:05 PM
Good luck! BTW - all of those pictures were not from LOCAL tack stores (don't really have any those any more!) but from stores that sell online.

Let me know if you want to persue the Nobility and I will send you some links. Buying online can be tricky, but I bought from a store that assured me they would take a return if the saddle did not fit.