PDA

View Full Version : Pine Sol and Vinegar?

Mosey_2003
Jul. 10, 2012, 09:56 AM
If I mix Pine Sol with slightly diluted white vinegar, am I going to kill myself with fumes or melt the bottle? :lol:

I found some old Pine Sol at work and I have a spray bottle half full of white vinegar/water mix and would like to mix something up to spray down the concrete and wood stall walls, maybe even the dirt floor under the bedding. Normally I'd just mix up the Pine Sol by itself, but as is the way with buckets and spray bottles I seem to only have one left after buying multiple over the years :confused: And I'd rather not pour out the vinegar solution if I don't have to, waste not want not and all that...

If indeed this is safe and not going to cause a chemical reaction, how much do you think I should/could put in there? Just a glug? A cup or two?

Thanks!

Bacchus
Jul. 10, 2012, 10:07 AM
There's a thread on this about flies and stalls. Recommended one part each (vinegar, water and Pine Sol). Nobody mentioned any problems with chemical reactions;)

Mosey_2003
Jul. 10, 2012, 10:28 AM
Oh good! I thought there was, but couldn't find it off the bat, thanks!

SuckerForHorses
Jul. 10, 2012, 12:39 PM
Yep, equal parts vinegar, water, and pinesol, with a squirt of dawn dish soap.

I am using this as horse spray, and in my stalls/barn area.

When first sprayed out, it has a strong vinegar smell, but it dissipates enough that you don't choke, but still keeps flies at bay.

I use apple cider vinegar.

cnvh
Jul. 10, 2012, 12:57 PM
Does anyone know if apple cider vinegar makes a difference? I used regular (white) vinegar, it was all they had when I ran into K-Mart to pick up ingredients the other day... I also didn't add any Dawn dish soap, just the vinegar, Pine Sol, and water... I sprayed the stall walls, and it definitely knocked down the flies for a few minutes, but 15 minutes later it was like I never sprayed. :(

Mosey_2003
Jul. 10, 2012, 01:14 PM
I kinda doubt that ACV vs. white should make a difference. I know they tout ACV as the be-all and end-all miracle vinegar, but really, it's all vinegar I would think. What does the Dawn do, keep it mixed up better?

Bacchus
Jul. 10, 2012, 04:41 PM
In the other thread people used both white vinegar and acv -- nobody said one was better. Some people didn't like the Dawn for their horses. I plan to do this but without the Dawn -- don't see how it could help much, so why bother if there is any risk. Haven't decided which vinegar to use -- probably whichever is cheaper.

hundredacres
Jul. 10, 2012, 04:46 PM
I've been using it as a stall spray - white vinegar, Pine sol (not the knock off, it's rank) and H20 in equal parts. It seems to be working though it's hard to tell since our fly population is even being effected by the drought. I can't bring myself to spray my horses with it because of the Pine sol - it's soapy and sticky. I just can't do it.

2DogsFarm
Jul. 10, 2012, 05:54 PM
I've been using the Pinesol/Vinegar(white)/Water mix and it seems to work pretty well in the stalls to keep down flies.

I won't use it on the horses as I think an accidental squirt of the mix in the eyes would not be a Good Thing.

So far it seems fairly effective and I reapply to stall walls & grills at most 2X daily - when I feed.
I spray the wheelbarrow when it's full and the area I place the cat food bowls too.

Alagirl
Jul. 10, 2012, 06:26 PM
the dish soap would probably be acting as surfactant... not sure how sudsy Pine Sol gets (and gosh, I hate that stuff...)

I don't think it takes much, certainly nothing that should be bad for the horse.

Tiffani B
Jul. 10, 2012, 07:12 PM
I also add a few ounces of neem oil. Stinks but it's worth it!

hundredacres
Jul. 10, 2012, 07:22 PM
Alagirl, Pine Sol gets sudsy. I use it to was all sort of stuff and it's quite soapy (well, detergent-y, technically ;) )

Mali
Jul. 10, 2012, 09:05 PM
the dish soap would probably be acting as surfactant... not sure how sudsy Pine Sol gets (and gosh, I hate that stuff...)

I don't think it takes much, certainly nothing that should be bad for the horse.

Bingo! I mix up 2.5 gallons at a time, and bet I only add 1 T of dawn dish soap to the entire mixture. My mixture gets a little sudsy when I shake it, but not overly sudsy. I have to be careful when I'm funneling it into the fly spray bottles, but have learned to NOT fill them to the brim (or attempt to fill them to the brim) because they will inevitably overflow due to the suds. I probably get them at least 3/4 full though.