PDA

View Full Version : Buddhist monk on Japanese eventing team

JER
Jul. 10, 2012, 02:40 AM
Meditating Buddhist monk saddles up for London (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/london-olympics-2012/news/Olympics-Meditating-Buddhist-monk-saddles-up-for-London/articleshow/14793895.cms)

Sato does not rely on the power of prayer alone.

"In principle, my sect doesn't recommend reliance on others," he smiles. "But for a moment when the competition is over, I think it is very important to give thanks to my horse, groom and family."

:)

Neigh-Neigh
Jul. 10, 2012, 02:47 AM
The Olympics just got 10 times more bad-ass for me.

Cameraine
Jul. 10, 2012, 09:20 AM
Wow, I definitely want to watch this guy. He sounds interesting.

NErider
Jul. 10, 2012, 09:59 AM
The Olympics just got 10 times more bad-ass for me.

LIKE!

Foxtrot's
Jul. 10, 2012, 11:47 AM
Quite the riding family! Begs the question, where does the money come from for this sport - we all know how that figures in an athlete's attempts.

Look out Ian Millar - they have an athlete at 71 in dressage.

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 10, 2012, 11:57 AM
And I bet good. They have some pretty well bred TBs over there! I remember liking a couple of their horse/riders at WEG.

Cameraine
Jul. 10, 2012, 12:12 PM
I just hope that he, and well no one has the misfortune that the Chinese individual rider had in 2008. Where he fell off on XC and the horse ran in circles in front of the cameras evading everyone and having a pretty fun time while they attempted to catch him.

JWB
Jul. 10, 2012, 12:56 PM
:D:D:D:D:D
Nice article! I hope he does well.

Marigold1
Jul. 10, 2012, 01:50 PM
Wonderful story! I agree that Buddhism and equestrian can be complementary disciplines. I am guessing the meditation helps these rider to achieve high levels of the ever-elusive focus, feel and understanding each of us seeks. Very interested to watch them go!

The only contradiction I found was the part about not relying on others. This seems to be a hard tenant to get past. Equestrian requires a partnership between horse and rider, which seems to me the ultimate embodiment of relying on someone else. This statement really struck me, especially considering all we hear about "fifth leg training" and counting on your horse XC.

Also, loved the mention of the 71 year old dressage rider!