PDA

View Full Version : What practical product do you wish someone would market?

DaisyH
Jul. 9, 2012, 08:24 PM
Hi,
This is an updated question to one already posted a few years back on this forum. Lots of those ideas have now become real products.
I'm a horsey mum who's also an new product developer/inventor.
My teenage daughters want me to invent a new product in the horse realm so that we can justify going to even more horse events and do marketing...clever girls!
I would love to hear about products that horse owners wish were available. i.e. what problems do you want solved? Sorry, I can't solve barn issues or horse behaviour problems:)
Thanks for taking the time to think about this.
DaisyH

rizzodm
Jul. 9, 2012, 08:29 PM
This is already done but ...
http://www.doversaddlery.com/hair-net-bun-cover/p/X1-36217/?ids=pxtb4if1wp4jej55zjs5xb45

There is not an abundance of originality in these and the cost $20, really?!
I was at show and they were charging $30 for these same ones posted. They probably cost a buck to make. I would love to see more variety at a better price.

tangledweb
Jul. 9, 2012, 09:31 PM
I still want a couple of these

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6715448.html

I think already exist, but I suspect they've fallen into that valley where anyone who can afford the machine can afford to hire a peasant to do it by hand.

Carolinadreamin'
Jul. 9, 2012, 09:41 PM
Ventilated shipping boots. There has to be a way.

pony baloney
Jul. 9, 2012, 11:07 PM
A pill that will make a horse shed his winter coat overnight. Sort of like a nighttime laxative. Just a big hairy pile in the morning.

Neigh-Neigh
Jul. 10, 2012, 02:12 AM
A pill that will make a horse shed his winter coat overnight. Sort of like a nighttime laxative. Just a big hairy pile in the morning.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hippolyta
Jul. 10, 2012, 03:42 AM
Sheepskin fleece pad as part of square saddle pad

http://www.amazon.com/Australian-Merino-Dressage-Square-Sheepskin/dp/B0081N67Z0

the improved version:
you can remove the fleece from the square so you can wash & dry each part separately, and have several different squares (one for show, one for every-day, zebra striped, etc)

I would wash the square frequently, while washing sheepskin as little as possible (with woolite) to avoid shrinkage, etc. That isn't possible with pads like the one linked above- its all or nothing.

I want the wool directly on horse's back, which is why I don't want the half pads that most ppl place over square pad.

Real sheepskin, the good stuff.

tangledweb
Jul. 10, 2012, 08:06 AM

There used to be an injectable called Jurocyl that did that, more or less, but it was arsenic based so I don't know if it's still made.

suz
Jul. 10, 2012, 12:57 PM
do they make clippers with a sharpening device? that would be helpful.

also a fly wisk for trails which has a grabber on the end, so i can pick up all the crap i'm constantly dropping and still swat bugs for her. maybe the fly wisk retracts in winter and becomes a regular whip? i prefer them long enough to swat a dog if i need to while on the trail.

E D
Jul. 10, 2012, 01:28 PM
A bucket scrubber - on the order of golf ball washers but reversed. I kind of see a small bucket, covered with scrub brushes on the outside. You would throw in some baking soda (what I use anyway), a little water and twist the bucket around the inside of the dirty buckets. Viola - clean bucket. I think this would work so quickly on designated bucket cleaning day. I am waiting for the clearance sale on wooden scrub brushes to make one up. They are hard to find these days. Don't think the plastic brushes would work, most likely split when screwed to the small bucket.

I love thinking up ideas, but not really carrying them out. I have already implemented a blanket rack design like the ones seen in clothing stores. It rolls into my garage for storage in the summer.

Derby Lyn Farms
Jul. 10, 2012, 02:05 PM
ground feeders that don't tip over. I know they have the square ones, but my horses still paw at them and they tip over. I bought some of the ones you put in the tires, but then you have to have tires out in the field, and the tires get water in them which means mosquitos and then bee's move in too. I have hot wire so I can use the fence feeders. I now use the big water troughs, but those are $75 each, just lucky that I have extra ones to use.

BigHorseLittleHorse
Jul. 10, 2012, 04:51 PM
Not inventing, but since you're experienced in product marketing, maybe:

There are tons of good products made in Canada/Europe/Australia that are either not available in the US or cost-prohibitive to buy singly and pay for international shipping. Maybe you could pick a few great ones and start an import business?

Dramapony_misty
Jul. 10, 2012, 04:54 PM
Sheepskin fleece pad as part of square saddle pad

http://www.amazon.com/Australian-Merino-Dressage-Square-Sheepskin/dp/B0081N67Z0

the improved version:
you can remove the fleece from the square so you can wash & dry each part separately, and have several different squares (one for show, one for every-day, zebra striped, etc)

I would wash the square frequently, while washing sheepskin as little as possible (with woolite) to avoid shrinkage, etc. That isn't possible with pads like the one linked above- its all or nothing.

I want the wool directly on horse's back, which is why I don't want the half pads that most ppl place over square pad.

Real sheepskin, the good stuff.

Do you mean something like this? :) http://www.englishhabit.com/sheep-skin-multi-discipline-pad.aspx
I have it in white and the removable sheepskin is awesome! Although, that seems to get dirty faster than the quilted part, but whatever.

Simkie
Jul. 10, 2012, 06:11 PM
ground feeders that don't tip over. I know they have the square ones, but my horses still paw at them and they tip over. I bought some of the ones you put in the tires, but then you have to have tires out in the field, and the tires get water in them which means mosquitos and then bee's move in too. I have hot wire so I can use the fence feeders. I now use the big water troughs, but those are $75 each, just lucky that I have extra ones to use.

The barn I'm at solves this problem by cutting a tire in half lengthwise, flipping it inside out and nailing it to a wooden base. You wind up with a large bowl with a heavy base. No idea how difficult they are to put together, but it's probably not expensive. Could probably get pictures!

suz
Jul. 10, 2012, 07:01 PM
oh and pleasepleaseplease find a helmet with a pony tail hole.
and not at the base of the neck where it's all sweaty, but up higher so it's out of the way.
since helmets have vents why not have one where a pony tail could come out?

oh, and western hats with helmets which aren't buckskin covered english helmets or ginormous westerns on top of an english helmet.
something more authentic western looking and safe.
(and with a pony tale hole)!

msj
Jul. 10, 2012, 09:35 PM
A manure bucket with a lid that clips on like a Rubbermaid garbage can lid so my dog can't get the lid off and feast on yummy horse manure. :) My neighbor cut a round lid that fits down inside the edge of the bucket about 4-6 ". It's got a handle for easy pick up and is about 1" thick so my dog can't easily push it around BUT it doesn't fit both manure buckets I have (bought at different times and different companies)

qhwpmare
Jul. 11, 2012, 06:16 AM
A fly spray that actually works for more than a minute !

TrueColours
Jul. 11, 2012, 06:31 AM

Or less!!!

I think the person that invents this is going to be a multi millionaire many times over. Hope that somehow its me!!! :D

msj
Jul. 11, 2012, 08:57 AM

Actually I tried Pyranha, the oil-based one, I think it's Wipe and Spray, but it does kill the little tiny flies/insects that land on the piles of manure. I pick up any manure piles I see immediately into a muck bucket, spray with the Pyranha and cover with a lid. Kills them dead.

Unfortunately I was wiping it on with a fleece mitt and I blistered my horse's ears (outer, not inner), and when spraying directly on the tail blistered the underside. :( I now just use it to spray the stall walls, wet spot, and bedding.

DaisyH
Jul. 11, 2012, 12:09 PM
Hi everyone, thanks for posting all your ideas.
I'd love to see more...all us horse people have lots of times when we say.." I wish someone would come up with..."
This is your chance to fill in that blank.

Belg
Jul. 11, 2012, 12:27 PM
mowerbot autopilot for a john deere zero turn;
"stallba" vaccumer like the house robots... or pastureba

Mosey_2003
Jul. 11, 2012, 02:19 PM

Are you talking for hay or grain? For hay you can get the tires turned inside-out which works well. For grain I have a large plastic pan that's shaped like a dog bowl, it takes considerably more effort for them to turn over (though it can be done).

Hippolyta
Jul. 11, 2012, 03:50 PM
Do you mean something like this? :) http://www.englishhabit.com/sheep-skin-multi-discipline-pad.aspx
I have it in white and the removable sheepskin is awesome! Although, that seems to get dirty faster than the quilted part, but whatever.

YAY! That is what I have been looking for - thanks!

Not to say that we still can't have a little fun with extra sparkly squares or the like. You could buy the original with both parts & get the squares separately, for mix & match

chicamux
Jul. 12, 2012, 06:47 AM
I would like a longer handled fly whisk. I find I can't reach the face of a long necked horse with the typical short handled fly whisk! And those cheap wood handles that break so easily! Often I have to make a decision about whether to cary the dressage whip that I may need or a fly whisk.

Years ago I broke a whisk handle and decided to make my own. I took an old dressage whip, one of the cheaper plastic handle ones with the braided poly covers. I reused the horse hair from the broken fly whisk on my new long whisk and braided a decent looking braided leather knot over the spot where the hair was glued and wrapped onto the whip. THIS WHISK WAS THE BEST!
I worked well as an actual whip when out on the trails and gave me the ability to flick flies off any part of the horse without doing acrobatics to reach them.

This would be a low-cost, simple product to make.

chicamuxen

AKB
Jul. 13, 2012, 08:55 PM
One piece, light weight, stall mats. I would like a 12x12', soft, rubber mat that can be easily cut, and that has something to make the edges stiff so it won't shift in the stall. I don't want to have to spend hours screwing it to my stall walls. Maybe the edges could be made like swimming pool water bags, so horses are less likely to get cast and the mat will not shift.

katarine
Jul. 13, 2012, 09:14 PM
Sometimes the horse's choice of 'roughs' is the best damn pasture you have. I'd like to be able to define a "POOP HERE" zone AND define a EAT HERE YOU MORON zone.

Rbow
Jul. 13, 2012, 09:26 PM
A mold or something to hang fly masks on after washing or while storing that keeps the eyes poked out.

LookmaNohands
Jul. 13, 2012, 09:45 PM
Yes, definitely a roomba bush hog!

Also when I was soaking hay I wished that someone would make a useful hay soaker that had a drain in the bottom and wheels to get it to the stall. Then I went to home depot and bought a cooler with wheels and an extendable handle like a suitcase. Worked like a charm but only held enough hay for one horse. Which was fine then because I was only soaking for one horse.

Maybe you could make a bigger one!:yes:

My2cents
Jul. 13, 2012, 10:00 PM
One piece, light weight, stall mats. I would like a 12x12', soft, rubber mat that can be easily cut, and that has something to make the edges stiff so it won't shift in the stall. I don't want to have to spend hours screwing it to my stall walls. Maybe the edges could be made like swimming pool water bags, so horses are less likely to get cast and the mat will not shift.
This ,but with holes. I use the mats made for wash stalls in my stalls ( the drainage aspect is awesome) but I could only find 3' x 4' sized mats and had to piece them together trying to make the seam not be where a horse stands for long periods.

pony grandma
Jul. 14, 2012, 05:15 PM
I did write to the Rescue Fly trap company and asked them why the 'little' hole on top of the hanging fly bags when most of the people using them are hanging them up on a farm and they're trying to twist and poke hay twine thru the d#%m hole! Like I'm going to walk all the way back to the house to look for some string when I have tons of perfectly good usable leftover twine.

sketcher
Jul. 14, 2012, 08:53 PM
There are tons of good products made in Canada/Europe/Australia that are either not available in the US or cost-prohibitive to buy singly and pay for international shipping. Maybe you could pick a few great ones and start an import business?

Such as? Sounds like a good idea.

jn4jenny
Jul. 15, 2012, 01:05 PM
For all the people who use correction half pads at home but also ride in disciplines where half pads aren't the classic look--think foxhunting and show hunters, where fitted pads are the norm--someone PLEASE market a fitted, fleece-texture hunter pad that takes front and back correction shims. Even better if it's synthetic fleece and not real sheepskin so that you can easily launder it back to gleaming white.

Mattes and Fleeceworks market real sheepskin versions of the above, but they are $$$$$$$$. Christ Horsedream will make you one out of real sheepskin but again it's $$$$$$$$. Some companies make a cotton quilted fitted pad with shimming capabilities, but again, show hunters and foxhunters need that puffy fleece look.

Other stuff that seems MIA:

1. A synthetic, easy-wash, reasonably priced anatomic girth. And I mean a real anatomic girth shape, not these BS "curved girths" that angle backward toward the billets, thereby pulling the saddle forward. Make it a real anatomic girth shape, like the County Logic or M. Toulouse girth.

2. This is maybe a chindogu (your word of the day: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chind%C5%8Dgu ) but I believe there's money waiting for the inventor of a silicone, dishwasher-safe, reusable, fairly exact knockoff of the Smartpak packaging. I'm aware of Gladware and other alternative packaging, but I'm also thinking of "Smartpak only" barns where the main complaint against self-dosed supplements is "We don't want to have to deal with tons of different container types or multiple containers per horse." So build a "Smartpak" with multiple wells that can be ripped open and poured in one gesture, then washed and reloaded for another use.

3. Large-print Whinny Widgets. I mean seriously, name one person you know who enjoys reading 8-point font while calling a dressage test--or even better, consulting their miniscule 8-point-font Whinny Widget from the saddle at the last minute before riding a test. I made a large-print version for my trainer a few years ago and she looooooves it.

trinityhill
Jul. 15, 2012, 01:24 PM
Someway to track down fly masks out in a big field when the grey mare removes it and buries it or launches it over the fence. Something like a key finder that is a little more durable but still inexpensive, since if it's too costly it'd just be cheaper to replace the mask. I'll test it for you!

Alex and Bodie's Mom
Jul. 16, 2012, 03:56 PM
If someone already makes these, please point me in their direction, but . . .

What I NEED is a hard rubber, reusable, washable, durable "hoof mat." The exact size and shape of the bottom of the hoof, so you can put in the medicine (abcess, let's say, or ripped-up hoof wall), put this over the bottom of the hoof, put on the duct tape and Vet Rap, and go. (Actually, what would be even better is if said hard rubber mat could be attached to an elastic top, so it would stay in place!) My ideal product would come in different hoof sizes and be available for like $15/pair.

I do not want to spend mega bucks on EasyBoots or Old Macs when my horses are all different hoof sizes and all I really need is something like this. Like I said, if such a thing already exists, let me know!

Dramapony_misty
Jul. 16, 2012, 04:55 PM
If someone already makes these, please point me in their direction, but . . .

What I NEED is a hard rubber, reusable, washable, durable "hoof mat." The exact size and shape of the bottom of the hoof, so you can put in the medicine (abcess, let's say, or ripped-up hoof wall), put this over the bottom of the hoof, put on the duct tape and Vet Rap, and go. (Actually, what would be even better is if said hard rubber mat could be attached to an elastic top, so it would stay in place!) My ideal product would come in different hoof sizes and be available for like $15/pair.

I do not want to spend mega bucks on EasyBoots or Old Macs when my horses are all different hoof sizes and all I really need is something like this. Like I said, if such a thing already exists, let me know!

Not quite what you are looking for, but was a lifesaver for me last year dealing with one absess after another in the soggy conditions last year (multiple horses). So much so that I went out and bought a second one.
http://www.smartpakequine.com/the-hoof-sock-6919p.aspx?cm_vc=Search

Alex and Bodie's Mom
Jul. 17, 2012, 08:11 PM
Not quite what you are looking for, but was a lifesaver for me last year dealing with one absess after another in the soggy conditions last year (multiple horses). So much so that I went out and bought a second one.
http://www.smartpakequine.com/the-hoof-sock-6919p.aspx?cm_vc=Search

I did have one of those a couple of years ago, and sadly, it lasted about a week before I found it trampled into the ground, ripped to shreds. Disappointing, as it really seems to be a good idea, but just not quite tough enough for my horses, apparently.

hopper20
Jul. 18, 2012, 02:37 PM
I have this one for lost shoes: http://www.nationalbridle.com/product-p/1-7089.htm I wouldn't ride in it, but I think it's sturdier than the Hoof Sock and no problems losing it in turnout.

Mukluk
Jul. 19, 2012, 05:21 PM
OK folks what I think we REALLY NEED. Is a SAFE LIGHTWEIGHT horse trailer. That does not cost 2 arms and 2 legs. Something that can be towed with a light truck. The price of gas is likely only going to go up (we also need an alternative fuel towing vehicle of course).

A cooling system that can be used while riding horses in hot weather. For the horse.

A flyspray that works!!!!!

A way to prevent coat from becoming sun damaged for horses that live out 24/7 and either destroy their fly sheets and/or it's too hot to put a sheet on them.

A money tree!!!!!!!!!!!

SLW
Jul. 19, 2012, 05:53 PM
Hi,
This is an updated question to one already posted a few years back on this forum. Lots of those ideas have now become real products.
I'm a horsey mum who's also an new product developer/inventor.
My teenage daughters want me to invent a new product in the horse realm so that we can justify going to even more horse events and do marketing...clever girls!
I would love to hear about products that horse owners wish were available. i.e. what problems do you want solved? Sorry, I can't solve barn issues or horse behaviour problems:)
Thanks for taking the time to think about this.
DaisyH

I want an electrolyte nugget/treat that my horses will eat.

Guin
Jul. 19, 2012, 06:43 PM
I carry all my stuff to the barn in a canvas beach bag. I don't want to be hauling around one of those plastic brush boxes because they're awkward and things fall out of them. I'd like a bag that has a bunch of pockets on the INSIDE with open tops that I can put a hoofpick, treats, and other small things so they don't drop down to the bottom of the bag.

Jul. 22, 2012, 12:19 PM
A stall sized litter-maid type stall cleaner.

horse poops, sensor drops treat in the non-scoopable portion of stall to get the horse out of the way. Forks com from one side of the stall to the other, scoop poop/pee from bedding and deposit it in bin at the other side forks move back , horse finishes treat and goes back to regular stall space.

clanter
Jul. 22, 2012, 12:31 PM
Sometimes the horse's choice of 'roughs' is the best damn pasture you have. I'd like to be able to define a "POOP HERE" zone AND define a EAT HERE YOU MORON zone.

already invented...its a Morgan horse

PeteyPie
Jul. 22, 2012, 01:35 PM

I've never seen this done, but why couldn't you drill or punch many holes in the tire so that the water would drain out? They would have to be large holes so that the rubber edges wouldn't come back together and self-seal, but it seems like a practical solution.

vineyridge
Jul. 22, 2012, 01:39 PM
Here's something very simple that would be invaluable to a lot of us. It's very simple and should be easy to manufacture.

I have a gooseneck ball in the bed of my truck. It's fixed, so it doesn't rotate out of the way. Truck came that way, and apparently the hitch is welded to the frame of the truck.

What I've been looking for and cannot find is something that will cover the hitch and make the whole bed of the truck relatively smooth. I'm envisioning a cover for the hitch that would be rounded and smoothly sloped to the truck bed. It would have to be pretty big to keep the slope very gentle. It would need to be either something like cast aluminum or plastic with reinforcements so heavy loads wouldn't affect it. If plastic, it would need to be UV resistant. In short what it would look like in the truck would be an overturned saucer, but it would have to be large enough so the slope would be gradual enough that large loads would just slide right off it. The ball of the hitch would determine the height and would fit tightly into the bottom of the hitch cover. Or maybe just a truck bed cover that would cover the hitch and the whole bed. That would be a PITA to put on and off, though.

If someone decides this would be a good thing and would consider manufacturing it, I'd like a small percentage of the profits for the idea. :)

3Spots
Jul. 22, 2012, 02:05 PM
Another lost shoe alternative is a hoof wrap. i keep one around, good for about 5-7 days, cheaper than a lot of duct tape!

http://reviews.smartpakequine.com/7493/6183/hoof-wraps-reviews/reviews.htm

Products I need:

Horse Scratcher for a boarding stall. Right now I buy a stiff push broom and lash the broom part to the pipe corral with baling twine. I throw away the handle part. The round pipe doesn't make a good base for tying the broom on and it inevitably twists. And the bristles are just a bit too long and get smashed flat. I've seen some pebbled surfaces that you wrap around a telephone pole that look great -- if it was your own property...

drawstraws
Jul. 22, 2012, 04:00 PM
I've always wanted flavored bands/braidettes (because we all put them in our mouths, right?) and a set of wheels for my braiding ladder because it gets really heavy carrying it all over the showgrounds all night and it would be nice to just pull it behind me.

Plainandtall
Jul. 26, 2012, 10:11 PM
Don't know if someone else mentioned this- but...

How about a hay net- with a cinch string made out of a different color than the net? No re-tooling, no special order materials- nothing... you justy get the haybag company to put the blue strings in the red nets, and the red strings in the blue nets... better yet- you just use while strings for all the nets.

AKB
Jul. 27, 2012, 06:48 AM
A sturdy lightweight feed bin that horses cannot break into and rodents cannot chew into.

msj
Jul. 27, 2012, 08:15 AM
A sturdy lightweight feed bin that horses cannot break into and rodents cannot chew into.

Try a 30 gallon steel trash can. :)

Better than a feed 'bin' any day of the week.

gabby.gator
Jul. 27, 2012, 08:24 AM
my biggest wish is that it was all more affordable!! and made in the USA!

Dramapony_misty
Jul. 27, 2012, 10:50 AM
Don't know if someone else mentioned this- but...

How about a hay net- with a cinch string made out of a different color than the net? No re-tooling, no special order materials- nothing... you justy get the haybag company to put the blue strings in the red nets, and the red strings in the blue nets... better yet- you just use while strings for all the nets.

My parents did this only they replaced the current colored string (royal blue nylon) with a thick natural fiber rope. For years, I never knew that all haynets didn't come that way :-P

lorilu
Jul. 27, 2012, 06:26 PM
What to import? How about fun colored dressage pads? (I know there are some on ebay, but I want them in a store - so I can really see the quality). I saw a LOTS at Aachen! (I brought home 4....;))

To design?
A clip to attach the hose to the edge of a bucket when filling it, so I can walk away without it flipping out of the bucket like a dancing water genie!

An attachment that will turn off the water at the horse end when the bucket is full....

L

SuckerForHorses
Jul. 27, 2012, 10:29 PM
Here's something very simple that would be invaluable to a lot of us. It's very simple and should be easy to manufacture.

I have a gooseneck ball in the bed of my truck. It's fixed, so it doesn't rotate out of the way. Truck came that way, and apparently the hitch is welded to the frame of the truck.

What I've been looking for and cannot find is something that will cover the hitch and make the whole bed of the truck relatively smooth. I'm envisioning a cover ofor the hitch that would be rounded and smoothly sloped to the truck bed. It would have to be pretty big to keep the slope very gentle. It would need to be either something like cast aluminum or plastic with reinforcements so heavy loads wouldn't affect it. If plastic, it would need to be UV resistant. In short what it would look like in the truck would be an overturned saucer, but it would have to be large enough so the slope would be gradual enough that large loads would just slide right off it. The ball of the hitch would determine the height and would fit tightly into the bottom of the hitch cover. Or maybe just a truck bed cover that would cover the hitch and the whole bed. That would be a PITA to put on and off, though.

If someone decides this would be a good thing and would consider manufacturing it, I'd like a small percentage of the profits for the idea. :)

They make a gooseneck hitch that flips over like a stowaway hitch. When u flip it over, the bed is smooth like there isn't even a hitch in there. Ask you local trailer place if this is something you'd want. They can be pricey compared to the regular ol' hitch setup.

kookicat
Jul. 29, 2012, 06:01 PM
Another lost shoe alternative is a hoof wrap. i keep one around, good for about 5-7 days, cheaper than a lot of duct tape!

http://reviews.smartpakequine.com/7493/6183/hoof-wraps-reviews/reviews.htm

Products I need:

Horse Scratcher for a boarding stall. Right now I buy a stiff push broom and lash the broom part to the pipe corral with baling twine. I throw away the handle part. The round pipe doesn't make a good base for tying the broom on and it inevitably twists. And the bristles are just a bit too long and get smashed flat. I've seen some pebbled surfaces that you wrap around a telephone pole that look great -- if it was your own property...

You could stop it twisting by cutting a groove the same size as the pipe in the back of the brush.