PDA

View Full Version : Dog just had 20 bladder stones removed!!

Samotis
Jul. 9, 2012, 07:55 PM
:eek:

Has anyone had experience with this?

Not only did he have them in his bladder, they were in his urethra and one they couldn't get out and had to cut his urethra. :no:

He was supposed to be neutered as well. He is a crypt orchid.

Vet was in there so long dealing with stones that he couldn't fix him.

Dang it! Anyone heard of these issues before? So severe?

msj
Jul. 9, 2012, 07:58 PM
Oh, the poor dog. :( He must have been in so much pain from the stones. I've known people who have collapsed from the pain.

I can't offer any suggestions or advice except to give the vet and the pooch a big hug.

JanM
Jul. 9, 2012, 08:27 PM
That poor dog! And now he gets neutered later too, so he'll be tip-toeing out of the vet office after both procedures. And you'll need the cone of shame too.

I seem to recall they have special food to help prevent stones, and some breeds have a tendency to produce them.

Zu Zu
Jul. 9, 2012, 08:59 PM
Jingles for this dog ~ AO he is feeling better SOOON !

SquishTheBunny
Jul. 9, 2012, 09:02 PM
Yep, get the stones sent of for analysis (its usually free) and adjust his food accordingly :) Hopefully they will never recur again if he is on a diet suited for stone prevention. Poor guy :(

How old is he? What breed? My only reason for asking is that certain stones in young dogs (especially schnauzers and toy breeds) are often indicative of liver shunts.

Laurierace
Jul. 9, 2012, 09:03 PM
Poor guy! He is probably feeling better already. The people who own my barn just had their GOAT! at New Bolton for 10 days for bladder stone removal and recovery.

Samotis
Jul. 9, 2012, 09:10 PM
He is such a sweet dog.

He is a big scary looking pit bull that my sister dumped on my mom. :no:

He is a big baby and the sweetest big boy ever! Except for his looks he is a ham!

Poor guy has probably had him for a while. He had started to pee blood and that was it, we new something was up. I feel so bad for not noticing his pain. He is always so quiet and lazy, I didn't think anything of it, until he was struggling to pee.:no:

We took him first thing this morning.

We should have had him fixed a long time ago and I think my whole family learned their lesson on this one!

They did send the stones out, so we will be waiting for those results.

I hope he is ok in the morning when we pick him up. 3.5 hours is a long time for a dog to be in surgery.

PonyPenny
Jul. 9, 2012, 09:26 PM
Urinary SO by Royal Canin is what my vet recommended for my Corgi who had stones. You need a prescription to get it, but it is not any more expensive as other premium dog food.

ROYAL CANIN Veterinary Diet® canine URINARY SO® 14 dry and URINARY SO® can are complete and balanced diets for adult dogs formulated to aid in the prevention and management of canine lower urinary tract disease due to calcium oxalate, calcium phosphate, and struvite urolithiasis.

LetItBe
Jul. 9, 2012, 09:58 PM
I have a Dalmatian who has had multiple stone surgeries even after having re-routing surgery. Even on Hill's UD prescription food he had issues. He does best on Dick Van Dyke's Natural Balance Vegetarian. He's gone 4 years without an issue now.

LetItBe

Hinderella
Jul. 9, 2012, 10:24 PM
Several years ago my female black lab had bladder stones. Her bladder was completely packed with them. I don't know how she managed to hold her water all day while I was at work! She recovered fully, and after that I fed her Hill's Science CD dry food.
My vet gave me the stones in a plastic bag to take home. The little girl who lived next door was fascinated by them and wanted to take them to school for show & tell. I told her that she could, as long as she didn't reveal what they were until she had passed them around. ;)

Alagirl
Jul. 9, 2012, 10:31 PM
Dalmatians are prone to them.

http://www.dcaf.org/stoneletter.html
From http://www.dcaf.org/stoneletter.html

There is a list of food, proteins Dal owners should avoid feeding their dogs to avoid stones.
On the top of the list are innards and red meats, as well as vegetables as Asparagus and Spinach....

My last info about it is over 10 years old though, but the prescription diets (especially Hills) can be tricky and cause other problems down the line But they might have reworked the the formula to fix that (yep it was serious)

Also boy dogs are more at risk than girls...not in getting them, but retaining them.

threedogpack
Jul. 9, 2012, 11:49 PM
I had a Corgi bitch get struvite stones. Poor baby had a bladder packed full. She had the surgery, came through fine, felt so much better and never had another issue with them.

Hippolyta
Jul. 10, 2012, 05:56 AM
You will def. have to change diet, and it will depend on what the stones are made of.

Whatever diet you end up with, it is important to stick to it. A lot of ppl stop b/c it may be $$, and the stones come back.

Poor pup. Jingles for both of you.

Alagirl
Jul. 10, 2012, 07:28 AM
You will def. have to change diet, and it will depend on what the stones are made of.

Whatever diet you end up with, it is important to stick to it. A lot of ppl stop b/c it may be $$, and the stones come back.

Poor pup. Jingles for both of you.

the affinity for stones persists, so yeah, keeping the diet stable is something to consider.

wendy
Jul. 10, 2012, 11:04 AM
you have to find out what KIND of stones they are before deciding how to proceed. Diets to prevent some kinds of stones will make other kinds of stones worse. And some kinds of stones aren't really affected by diet at all.

Justmyluck
Jul. 10, 2012, 11:41 AM
20 isnt really a big number as a tech I've seen much worse. Some just have one most have upwards of 20 typically. Some small some very large. Stone analysis is definiately not free it's expensive and absolutely necessary. Diet changes are absolutely necessary based on the analysis. Despite this some stones come back. Another suggestion for you is give your dog only distilled water especially if you live in a mineral rich area.

The fact that your dog had a uretral blockage is concerning. Often vets will catheterize prior to surgery to push the stone back into the bladder as opening up the urethra is highly undesirable.

Samotis
Jul. 10, 2012, 12:03 PM
They tried to push the stones out of the urethra and one was blocked. They couldn't flush it out.

That is why they had to cut part of the urethra, which like you said, is not desireable. :no:

We are getting the stones analyzed, so now we just wake.

I am picking him up in a few minutes.

rmh_rider
Jul. 10, 2012, 12:07 PM
Yes, I have heard of dogs getting them.

A water change, and diet change was in order is what the vet said.

My dog eventually died from renal failure. My heart was very broken.

Good luck with your dog. Hope all turns out well.

the_other_mother
Jul. 10, 2012, 09:17 PM
That's ALOT of stones! Poor doggy! I had a Chihuahua who had several grape sized stones and lots of smaller ones and I have a pug who had stones related to a liver shunt. Diet is paramount in control. Hope your doggy feels better real soon!

Zu Zu
Jul. 10, 2012, 09:21 PM
Jingles & AO for your dog ~

Welcome him 'home' with ((hugs)) ~

SquishTheBunny
Jul. 14, 2012, 04:01 PM
20 isnt really a big number as a tech I've seen much worse. Some just have one most have upwards of 20 typically. Some small some very large. Stone analysis is definiately not free it's expensive and absolutely necessary. Diet changes are absolutely necessary based on the analysis. Despite this some stones come back. Another suggestion for you is give your dog only distilled water especially if you live in a mineral rich area.

The fact that your dog had a uretral blockage is concerning. Often vets will catheterize prior to surgery to push the stone back into the bladder as opening up the urethra is highly undesirable.

Interesting! Its free to send them to the Minnesota Urolith Center. Where are yours sent?

www.cvm.umn.edu/depts/MinnesotaUrolithCenter

B Street Tango
Jul. 15, 2012, 09:29 PM
I had a dane that had them several years ago. Had no idea until one Christmas Eve he was struggling to pee an I had to take him into the emergency vet. They were able to push it back up through the urethra into his bladder and we scheduled surgery for a few days later....which was still expensive but cheaper than proceding with emergency surgery.

I'm not going to remember now but his ph balance was off. I was able to change his diet and added cranberry tablets to his food and got those ph test sticks and would test his urine every so often. His stones never returned.

Good luck, hope he recovers easily and is a cooperative patient when he gets home!