PDA

View Full Version : Organizer's Forum?

Rabtfarm
Jul. 9, 2012, 06:51 PM
Not sure if this is the right place for this type of question. I have been a volunteer management person for HT's in eventing , Pony Club and Dressage for over 10 years. I was wondering if there was a forum for exchanging knowledge, wisdom and experience in event management. I am looking for a forum to gain knowledge and try to stop the repeat of the same old organizational issues that plague every small event.

For example, there needs to be a Startbox timing sheet for USEA cross country. If Rick and Event entries is using something different, then there needs to be two timing sheets. As a scorer I am not happy with the present system...the times are always in non military format, the ordinals for the electronic timing just confuses the issue and the timers sometimes write down the wrong times. There are some procedural/organisational issues that need help and I am looking for a place to get that help.

Moderator 1
Jul. 10, 2012, 08:03 AM
We moved your thread here to Eventing from the Help forum, which is provided for tech support-type questions with the site.

Thanks!
Mod 1

retreadeventer
Jul. 10, 2012, 08:21 AM
I like this topic, but will any organizers respond? I wrote a volunteer coordination internet guide, but the USEA hasn't done anything with it, and I'd like to see it it could be useful.(

Rabtfarm
Jul. 10, 2012, 08:58 AM
Well, I for one would be interested to see it. I am getting a bit tired of seeing the same management problems crop up.
Do you, for example, address control radio protocol for cross country? We usually see an obstinate fight between a new TD and the event organizers on that one. Last year we had a cross country finish timer who wrote down minutes and no seconds for the entire first division. The year before the dressage scribes didn't bother to match the rider/horse identification sticker on the dressage test sheets with the rider in the ring.
How about a real job description and duties for different volunteer positions? Most of the written material I have seen is out of date and/or ridiculously superficial.

rivenoak
Jul. 10, 2012, 02:16 PM
There used to be a yahoo group of organizers, secretaries, etc.

I can't remember who got me onto it or if it's still around, but I'll see if I'm still subscribed to it.

You could also contact msghook on here to see if he knows of an online group. (Or maybe one of the other TDs)

I hear you on your complaints. Went thru the same things + more the few years I scored or was secretary for some HTs.

"We" unintentionally made a scribe cry because Scoring sent a note to her asking to please, please, please put the correct # on the score sheet.

tle
Jul. 10, 2012, 03:12 PM
Well, I for one would be interested to see it. I am getting a bit tired of seeing the same management problems crop up.
Do you, for example, address control radio protocol for cross country? We usually see an obstinate fight between a new TD and the event organizers on that one.

IMHO... that is the job of Control. I announce and do control (with a scribe) for a local event and at the briefing, after the TD/judge has gone over the basic job of the fence judge, I get to do my schpiel on radio procedures. No one has ever questioned it.

Why is there a fight? I'm not sure I can see anything for a TD and organizer to fight about when it comes to radio procedures, regardless of who is "in charge".

SmallHerd
Jul. 10, 2012, 03:22 PM
I would LOVE a place to share experiences and knowledge. Can we just keep this thread going and maybe get a sticky? :)

For the past 2 HTs, we have used a very simple radio procedure that works very well and keeps radio traffic to a minimum. As Control, it can be challenging sometimes to hear ALL of the fence calls. We designated specific fences to be radio'd in, and ONLY those fences, unless there was a problem at another fence. For example, only fences 5, 10, 14 and 19 were called into Control. For ex., #12 clear at fence 5, etc. If there was a refusal or problem at a fence not listed as a 'call in' fence, then the jump judge would radio that #12 had 1 refusal at fence 8, etc.

We had 2 different TDs and both were fine with it.

rivenoak
Jul. 10, 2012, 04:20 PM
IMHO... that is the job of Control. I announce and do control (with a scribe) for a local event and at the briefing, after the TD/judge has gone over the basic job of the fence judge, I get to do my schpiel on radio procedures. No one has ever questioned it.

Why is there a fight? I'm not sure I can see anything for a TD and organizer to fight about when it comes to radio procedures, regardless of who is "in charge".

What I've seen is a TD who comes in with a list of radio channels that completely up-ends the radio protocol the event has been using for years. TD didn't want to use the HTs protocol & many, many volunteers and the organizers had to deal with a system with which they weren't familiar and would never use again.

Maybe the OP ran into something similar?

tle
Jul. 10, 2012, 09:44 PM
In that case, i think it's up to the organizer to grow a backbone. but that's just me. :D

Rabtfarm
Jul. 10, 2012, 09:58 PM
So there you have it folks: there's many ways to skin the cat with xcntry radio protocol..the problem is getting everyone on the same page, especially when the organizer's folks are used to one way and the TD does it a different way, just as Rivenoak says. TLE: your attitude is exactly what then proceeds to make for a very long afternoon...just what I am talking about. Two hardheads on a collision course. Neither one is now right. This has happened at two different USEA events I have been involved in. At one event the TD took over the entire event and micromanaged the entire operation. That didn't work either.
Personally I like the exception method that Smallherd has described. I suspect most event organizers use this. I would prefer that USEA or USEF provide protocols for this so we do not have ongoing issues with events going forward. Get everyone on the same page.
And it doesn't end with radio protocols either.

tle
Jul. 11, 2012, 07:42 AM
So you want the USEA to micromanage? The organizer is the where the buck stops when things don't involve rules. They know their course, their event and their volunteers. They know what works best. It has nothing to do with "my attitude". :rolleyes: It has to do with knowing the sport and how TDs come and go, but organizers and GOOD volunteers stick around (if you treat them right). There is no reason for it to come to a head at all. It's up to the TD to "make suggestions" and the organizer to work with the TD to implement those that will work for their event. Perhaps they've tried that (whatever it is) and it simply doesn't work.

There is ZERO reason that the USEA needs to codify stuff like this. There are too many variables and no reason to put all events doing the same thing. It's up to the organizers to share information on what works best and what doesn't work and the individual organizers to figure out what works for THEIR event. YMMV and that's why the idea of codifying protocols like this is silly.

SmallHerd
Jul. 11, 2012, 09:54 AM
tle, I agree - no reason to codify. However, I would like to SHARE information with OTHER organizors and volunteers. For example, it would be great if there were a 1-sheet of topline tips for jump judges, dressage coordinators, bit checkers, etc. I am sure that each HT has their own system, but if we all band together and share info, wouldn't it be great??

rivenoak
Jul. 11, 2012, 11:41 AM
In that case, i think it's up to the organizer to grow a backbone. but that's just me. :D

Yeah, you and me both.

horsecents
Jul. 11, 2012, 02:37 PM
Maybe if JFS gets some downtime she'll chime in. I know she's been the USEA Area 8 organizer rep and I believe was the national organizer rep plus a licensed Dressage judge and Technical Delegate.

It's nice to see people not wanting to reinvent the wheel :D