PDA

View Full Version : Novice A test question...

runNjump86
Jul. 9, 2012, 05:15 PM
Saturday Bailey and I tackled another dressage schooling show and put in a REALLY good test. Or so I thought. He was a bit tired from the day before, but that was the plan:lol: and it worked well. He was focused and I was actually having to push him vs. pulling him back.

HOWEVER. Just as I was halting, the judge blew the whistle and proceeded to tell me I was off course...which I wasn't. She got lost during my test. :confused: Anyone had this happen before?! She figured out that she was the one making the mistake, not me, and ended up scoring my test anyway. We ended up with a 58. I was a bit disappointed on some of the marks, but overall thrilled with his performance.

The test calls for a half-circle at the trot from E-B, picking up the canter approaching B, then circling at the canter at B. Okay, got it. I picked up the canter after crossing X, thinking I was correct. However, that was where the judge got lost and also marked us way down. She said we picked up the canter way too early. I believe we were two strides past X. What should I have done instead? She just commented on accuracy on my actual test, but didn't verbally tell me where I should have picked up the canter instead.

So I'm confused. How do you ride this movement?

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 9, 2012, 05:23 PM
The movement says..E-B half circle working trot....next movement is approaching B working canter. So cantering just after the centerline is too soon. You want to be almost to B so asking just after the quarterline is what I do.

mg
Jul. 9, 2012, 06:45 PM
Ditto BFNE. I rode this test 2 weeks ago (our best dressage score ever!) and I picked up the canter between the quarter line and long side.

JFCeventer
Jul. 9, 2012, 06:49 PM
Agree, I usually canter within the second part of the last quarter of my trot circle. Usually about 2 or 3 meters before B. I like to use the help of the wall to make the transition anyway, it makes it easier for the horse.

runNjump86
Jul. 9, 2012, 08:05 PM
Ok great, thanks for the clarification!