PDA

View Full Version : Found A Home For Rigsby, and it comes with a BONUS...

Neigh-Neigh
Jul. 9, 2012, 05:24 PM
I shared earlier last month, that I'd successfully purchased my horse Rigsby. Shipping him here has been sidelined by illness (complications from gelding) and finding him an appropriate home.

Being from Minnesota, and being used to Minnesota boarding standards, I have to say; its HARD out here in N. Dakota to find a decent boarding stable. This is the land of barb wire and no shelter. Not even a lean-to (God bless the stricter livestock laws in Minnesota!) Every place I looked at was either a huge barb wire fenced pasture with no shelter or overcrowded, filthy pens or outdoor covered tie-stalls. Before I got the call today, my plan was to board him on a co-workers farm, about 32 miles from my home, and chip in for electro-braid fencing.

I got a phone call today from a boarding stable that I'd been on a waiting list for, for almost a year. I hadn't seen it but it had great internet reviews. When I got there I noticed first, all the nice trailers parked wherever they could be stashed. Boarders with trailers are soon to become my BFF's, cuz I have no trailer.;) Next, I noticed the smooth pipe fencing for the not-too dirty, not-too overcrowded paddocks (WITH LEAN-TO's!) They fed roundbales, but that's what you get in N. Dakota. No way around it. The bales were clean and the horses all looked fat and happy, with good coats. I was greeted by the owners son, a gangly 17ish yr old, dressed head to toe like he just stepped off the PBR circuit. Again, that's what you get in N. Dakota.:) He showed me around the place. A fairly dark indoor (but, nevertheless, an indoor!!!) with great footing. Lots of big stalls overlooking the indoor if I needed indoor boarding (with a view of indoor activity). He pointed out the huge 10+ acre field at the back of the farm. It was barb wire, but heavily flagged and had a top strand of electric. He then pointed out the cows "In case I did anything with them." Knowing he was fishing for my discipline, I took a deep breath and let the cat out of the bag. "No, actually I Event." He looked mildly amused and I told him I understood I was all alone out here, and he said, "No, there's another one of you. She owns those two Arab/Canadian Horses. She does Dressage and gives lessons."
:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:
Then he sweetened the pot with "She charges $20 a lesson, plus a $10 arena fee."

Now, before I get ridiculously over-excited, I have to see this woman in action, but this place already seems like horse paradise, or as close as you can get to it, in N. Dakota! And with dressage trainer in house (very likely the owner of one of those nice trailers), there is a chance I could travel with her to the more equine-friendly areas of N. Dakota...

Did I mention this place is merely 5 miles from my house? :)

I sign the boarding agreement tomorrow and Rigsby arrives at the end of the month. I'll keep you all posted...wish us luck! :D

Charlie&Me
Jul. 9, 2012, 05:29 PM
Congrats! It's so tough finding a place you feel comfortable with when you live somewhat off the beaten path. Oh and Rigsby is so cute!

jenm
Jul. 9, 2012, 08:07 PM
"No, there's another one of you."

Love this comment!