PDA

View Full Version : Repercussions of Gatcombe Cancellation

Divine Comedy
Jul. 9, 2012, 01:12 PM
Yet another Olympic prep event fallen victim to the soggy English weather. This cancellation is even bigger than the Badminton cancellation, in some ways.

What will countries (such as Canada) using Gatcombe as a final run do for a final outing now?

And maybe this is a dumb question, but is the rain bad enough in London to prompt the cancellation of the event at the Olympic Games?

shea'smom
Jul. 9, 2012, 01:47 PM
I'm starting to worry about the Olympics.
Nevillel, for one, will now not have an event to say, Don't forget about me!

betonbill
Jul. 9, 2012, 02:02 PM
I was beginning to worry about the Olympics too. Aren't we something like 3 weeks out?

kookicat
Jul. 9, 2012, 05:39 PM
They Olympics will be fine. :D If there's one thing we're used to here, it's rain.

I -believe- that the worst of the rain/flooding has been in the North/Midlands.

Willesdon
Jul. 11, 2012, 11:00 AM
June was the wettest on record. July is already wetter! But Greenwich is OK (drier in SE England and well-drained site) so far. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/equestrianism/9387687/London-2012-Olympics-Cross-country-at-Greenwich-gets-all-clear-despite-cancellation-of-Gatcombe-Festival.html

OverandOnward
Jul. 11, 2012, 10:41 PM
Had the same question as Divine Comedy. All the reassurance that can be offered by those who are actually there is appreciated. ;) :)

barnworkbeatshousework
Jul. 12, 2012, 11:38 AM
should be ok...

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/pippacuckson/100025536/unlike-gatcombe-park-the-olympic-equestrian-competition-will-survive-the-rain/

kookicat
Jul. 12, 2012, 05:15 PM
I heard that a lot of the Olympic riders who didn't get a run at Gatcombe have entered Burgham (in Northumberland) instead. It's a really nice course and will be a good run for them.

Hmm, just checked and it's been pushed back from Friday 13th to Monday 16th. Sounds like they're having problems with the weather, too.

snoopy
Jul. 12, 2012, 05:25 PM
It is pissing down with rain right now!

ravenclaw
Jul. 12, 2012, 05:41 PM
I watched a lot of the tennis at Wimbledon and they got a lot of rain during the 2 weeks of the tournament. I wondered if/how this will affect the Olympics, because they said this was the wettest summer on record and more rain is coming.

Centre Court at Wimbledon has a roof now that they can close during rain, but what about other outdoor events that can't close a roof? Will they just carry on in the rain or maybe get postponed or cancelled?

Doodlebug1
Jul. 13, 2012, 01:12 PM
It is very, very wet here but Greenwich is very hilly and so as long as they are on the higher ground, they should be fine.

I have run 10k races around there on my own two feet and whatever the weather it has been hard/good underfoot, not of course that people feet are like horses, but it's never really wet - unlike some of the other parks. Also it is very, very old parkland that has never had horses on it, so it's not churned up, the grass is very established and all should be OK.

Here's today's opinion in H&H:
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/olympics2012/7630/313379.html

Impromptu
Jul. 13, 2012, 01:26 PM
It is pissing down with rain right now!

.... Has been since May!