PDA

View Full Version : Just another CANTER critique thread...

JenL
Jul. 9, 2012, 01:20 PM
I am currently shopping for young dressage/event horse prospect. So of course as a multiple OTTB owner, this includes shopping through OTTBs as well as every other breed and website known to man.
Can I please pick your brains on this one?

http://canterusa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6064:royal-trace&catid=50:delaware-park-trainer-listings

I can't see pasterns, but the rest of him seems lovely! From my lowly knowledge of pedigrees, his doesn't seem that great, but for a riding horse I've always worried about the horse first and the pedigree second.

Jleegriffith
Jul. 9, 2012, 01:25 PM
I took the pictures of this horse and I really liked him a lot. His owner/trainer is a good person but said everytime he comes to the track he just drops weight. He needs another career. He is a 3yr and was ultra sweet. I liked his angles and he was clean with good feet. He was just so personable and quiet. She said he was brave and quiet. Very good horse to work around.

baxtersmom
Jul. 9, 2012, 01:27 PM
I can't see the pictures on the one you posted, but this one popped up on my Facebook today. *grabby hands*

http://www.horseadoption.com/horseprofiles/charcoal-city/

GutsNGlory
Jul. 9, 2012, 01:45 PM
I think Royal Trace has been posted on one or two other threads on here.. I definitely remember looking at this pictures and the ad. I think he is cute as a button - definitely my type. :yes:

I think he would be worth taking a look at in person. If you like him one-on-one, I would recommend a PPE on him for sure to address the weight issue at the very least. Possibly ulcers?

wishnwell
Jul. 9, 2012, 02:32 PM
I'm sure Ulcers are there, that would be my biggest concern. So make sure you're ready for the cost commitment if they were serious ones. Especially since he's 3.

brightskyfarm
Jul. 9, 2012, 03:26 PM
How exciting JenL ..!

I can enable a bit --- if you decide to come to pa... I can not only show you ottb's... but apps, paints, qh's.. from prospects to show miles.

really though.... taking a reality check ... perhaps you can narrow down your field a bit? OR,..,. lets sell you one of each!

:D:D:D:D
:lol:

equinedriver
Jul. 9, 2012, 03:55 PM
This one looks nice to me............

http://www.horseadoption.com/horseprofiles/rockabyebirdie/

JenL
Jul. 9, 2012, 06:45 PM
Yes the nerves issue does give me pause. Especially because who knows if that will transmit to a show environment as well. Ulcers seem to be a PIA to deal with.

Brightskyfarm, I sent you a PM.
And equinedriver that last one is a definite cutey!

lizloveshorses
Jul. 9, 2012, 06:56 PM
How high in the levels do you want to go with him? He looks to have an elbow that's low on his back right and I read in a conformation article one time that jumpers should have higher placed elbows in order to clear their legs. She indicated that geldings should have them higher than the sheath and used two UL horses as an example. I'll see if I can find the article again, it was very interesting.

SnicklefritzG
Jul. 9, 2012, 08:00 PM
I think he looks like a sweet horse. With some weight and more muscle on him, he will look like a different horse. I actually think he looks quite handsome but he is a bit lean, but that should be easy to fix.

Jleegriffith
Jul. 9, 2012, 08:16 PM
The trainer said he doesn't display nerves at all. When I saw him he was happily munching hay in his stall and the next time I saw him he was being held outside and was just eating grass. I'm sure he does have ulcers but he isn't a horse that displays it externally. Just a FYI.

Bogie
Jul. 9, 2012, 08:29 PM
He's adorable. I think he'd look fabulous after some time with Dr. Green and some treatment for his tummy.

Jleegriffith
Jul. 9, 2012, 08:41 PM
Last thing..I promise:D I think that they took him back home to the farm which is in Pa. So he is getting some R&R. She typically rides them around the farm and gets them going a bit out and about.

SnicklefritzG
Jul. 9, 2012, 11:37 PM
Another thing - I can give a shoutout to the folks at CANTER MA. They do a very good job of finding nice horses with athletic ability, nice temperaments and good brain! They are also very accurately described horses IMO.

The one I bought from them is showing a real penchant for dressage and has learned lateral work very quickly. SI and HI are no problem and when my trainer rides he can get my horse to do some beginning halfpass pretty easily.

JenL
Jul. 10, 2012, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the info JLeegriffith! I sent you a PM.

SnicklefritzG you have an inbound PM.

Lizloveshorses I"d be interested to read that if you can dig it up, I"m always interested in methods that can help predict horses' future abilities

Sempiternal
Jul. 13, 2012, 12:51 AM
Is this possibly the article?

http://www.jwequine.com/pdf/conformation_for_an_eventer.pdf